Maybelline INTENSE XXL mascara

Maybelline INTENSE XXL mascara
Enter Title

3.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

this is my first ever review!! i had to write about this b/c it is my very first ever declared HG mascara-and i have(and have tried)many! (i have this in the waterproof version)... i heard raves about this product on the mu board and rushed out the next day to buy it

after posting several FOTDs wearing this mascara and getting compliments that it looked like i was wearing false lashes i officially made this my HG

to start the brushes are very stiff which is good b/c it allows you to layer it w/out clumping...i was scared that the primer wouldnt hold a curl but it does!(unlike the clinque one) ...i apply a light coat of the primer from base to tip then apply a little more just to the tip(trick: apply behind the tips for extra length and fullness)..then i apply the black...it covers the primer completely and is a true jet black..i like to wear just the black as a natural everyday mascara

i was so exicted about this i did a before and after- i just curled lashes and used only this mascara(click continue to view)
i will definitely keep using this mascara as long as they make it and if they dc it maybelline will receive one angry letter from a certain customer ;)

TIP: to keep it from drying out or turning gummy make sure you twist it until you hear/feel a click then you know its closed all the way =) continued >>

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

OH....MY....LORD. This gives me the fullest, longest, most dramatic lashes! (pic in my profile) I usually LOATHE Maybelline mascaras, but this beats YSL Faux Cils, Diorshow, Voluminous, Chanel Extracils, Max Factor Lash Lift, etc... Caution: not for subtle lashes!!

on 3/23/2009 1:34:00 PM

THE BOTTOM LINE: Drying, clumpy, ineffective. Definitely *not* recommended.

THE PRODUCT: This "double-duty" mascara provides a basecoat (white) and a topcoat (black, although they may sell other shades as well, such as dark brown). The tube has a brush at either end, one for each product. First you apply the base, then several coats of the topcoat.

THE CLAIM: (taken from the packaging)
"Up to 60% longer lashes"
"11x the volume"
"intense black, no clumps"

THE REALITY: I really tried to give this mascara a chance, because some reviewers have had good experiences with it, but it was unpleasant from the start. It was thick, had tiny chunks that got stuck on my eyelashes, and had a very drying feel. The basecoat added very little length. I also found that it flaked onto my cheeks, and when I removed it at the end of the day with makeup remover, it smudged and smeared everywhere, leaving black marks all around my eyes. I used this product for at least a month, since I hate wasting money, but I was never able to get it to look good.

THE COMPETITION:
In the past, I've used L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara (Carbon Black), which is also a double-layer mascara with a basecoat and topcoat. I recommend it head and shoulders over this product. In fact, I just finally threw away the Intense XXL and bought another tube of Double Extend. The basecoat really lengthens my lashes. The topcoat goes on smoothly and does not feel drying. If you're searching for a duo mascara, I highly recommend Double Extend instead.

I have extremely straight eyelashes that are beyond difficult to maintain curl and length. I also have really bad luck with drug store mascaras and tend to purchase high-end ones due to the fact that they have a better curling and lasting power. The difference in prices is ridiculous though. $20 or $8?? I was convinced that there must be a good drugstore product and after watching a video of a girl on Youtube with a similar dilemma using XXL, I decided to check it out. THIS REALLY WORKS! You know from right of the bat that the magic behind this product is the white primer. WHY THEY DON'T SELL THE PRIMER ALONE IS MESMERIZING. I could purchase tons of this. It LENGTHENS, CURLS, and DOES NOT FLAKE. I would recommend NOT purchasing the WATERPROOF version simply because it is NOT WATERPROOF and because you would need an oil-based makeup remover to get it off. That simple negative aside, this is one of the BEST DRUGSTORE MASCARAS.

on 2/12/2009 7:04:00 PM

For reference I have black medium length lashes that hold a curl well. I bought this Intense XXL waterproof mascara in very black.
PROS:
-it gives tons of volume
-gives as much length as a lengthening formula
-great for a dramatic flirty look
-for $9 CDN it is worth the money
CONS:
-I have the waterproof version and it leaves smudges after about 3 hours (wore it to a dance-NEVER AGAIN!). I hav normal/combo skin and my eye makeup never smudges, so i don't recommend this product if your looking for a long wearing formula
-difficult to apply properly. The white primer adds fibers to your lashes to make them look thicker-but if its not applied properly, it makes you look like you have flecks of white stuff (eew lice) in your eyelashes.

TIP: Wait about 10 seconds after applying the primer before putting on the black mascara (contrary to the instructions on the packaging) applying the black while the primer is still wet washes out the color of the black mascara and make it less pigmented. as well it made my lashes look spidery and clumpy as if i had applied too much coats. APPLY THE WHITE PRIMER WITH A LIGHT HAND (just one light sweep) then you can layer about 2-3 coats of the black.
If your looking for a cheap mascara that gives dramatic looks (but not good staying power) then buy this mascara.

on 12/24/2008 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:
-inexpensive price
-it gives you thick, fat and long lashes
-it stays on all day and does not smudge

Cons:
-the brushes are short; it takes awhile to get used to
-the tube dries out really quickly compared to most mascaras
-length of time to apply to the results you want

I swear by this stuff. I have short wispy Asian lashes and have been on the search for a good thickening and lengthening mascara. I heard good things about the Diorshow Mascara and purchased that. However, after I compared the Diorshow to the Maybelline (using one one each eye) the Maybelline was visibly thicker and longer. Normally I like to wear false eyelashes but this is a good alternative for the days when I don't feel like putting them on.

The only downfall is that the design makes application a bit clumsy. The tube is quite fat and the brushes are really short, so it takes some time getting used to. Also, the formula dries out quite quickly compared to most mascaras. At this price though, I don't mind as this product often goes on sale at my local drugstore.

on 6/6/2006 11:34:00 PM

Have you noticed that reviews of mascara are the worst to read in terms of actually GETTING advice? For every 10 5-star ratings, there are 10 1-star rantings! Hence my extreme dilemma - in the end, went out and got this on a whim during lunchtime as a perk me up. I wear contacts, and when the lengthening primer was applied I worried like hell on fibres dropping into my eye causing infections. It's not happened after a week of use (touch wood) and I credit it not so much to the product, but my V-E-R-Y careful application.

It did a better job than my previous Bobbi Brown Everything Mascara, at half the price. Heeding the application advice from MUA helped too - as in - curling/priming/voluminising for one eye first, then proceed to the other eye.

Generally happy w/ product and being quite the mascara virgin I can just compare it to one other product (see above)...and you can tell which I prefer!

[Edit] After using this for abt a month, like to add that the removal process is a bitch. Takes 3x as many cotton pads, 5x as much eye makeup remover as my previous mascara. In case you're wondering - i toggled between Clinique's and Body Shop's eye makeup remove to see if the problem stemmed from the mascara or the remover....both required copius amounts of makeup remover. And my poor lashes are suffering the nightly ordeal...

on 1/15/2006 4:11:00 AM

shame on me for scoffing cheap mascara. great lashes was horrible but this one stretches my eyelashes like no tomorrow. the primer is almost as good as shiseido's primer and keeps my lashes curled ALL DAY! i got this one for free but once i'm out, off to target i go to buy about five more. (i uploaded pictures of my eyes with this stuff on... i just can't figure out how to link it here LOL)

on 8/6/2011 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I hated this mascara. It was very clumpy and the formula made my lashes clump together. I would use the primer side first followed by the mascara, but every-time the layering process would create clumps and give me spidery lashes. I ended up finishing the product by just using the mascara side, but using it alone didn't provide much definition for my short thin lashes.

on 6/15/2010 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

An Asian Review:
I have not-full-but-not-sparse, medium length lashes and sensitive eyes. Though this mascara fared better than the previous Maybelline mascaras I have tried, it is still not as good as I expected it to be.

First I curl my lashes, and I apply the primer all over and followed by the mascara. It does give a lovely thick look to my lashes but it did not hold my curl at all. Also when I tried to reapply/layer on, it starts to get clumpy and I can feel the heaviness on my lashes. On the plus side, it didnt irritate my eyes. However, I wouldnt repurchase.