Maybelline INTENSE XXL mascara

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/21/2011 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is almost - almost - my HG mascara. Yes, it's weird to have white primer (black primer, anyone? Really?) because you have to make sure every single lash is covered. Yes, the tube is weird because of how the applicators are set up. Yes, the black mascara takes a while to dry. But for building "almost fake eyelash" length lashes, this is my go-to mascara. If it was waterproof/smudgeproof, it would be my HG...that's why I say "almost". But for wearing to a holiday party or building up the lashes for a night on the Strip, this is definitely my mascara to wear!

on 1/2/2010 6:19:00 AM

I took half used mascara from my sister. Love it, it thicken my lashes, a perfect finish to my smoky black eyeliner. Definitely will buy.

on 8/19/2009 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The lengthening aspect was good, but this did not deliver on the volume aspect at all. My long time love, Maybelle's Full and Soft does an infinitely better job at that.

My lashes have never completely recovered after an illness caused them to fall out. I now have fewer lashes on the outside half of each eye and each lash is finer and shorter. (Thankfully, they're still a decent length). This mascara made the voids/areas where my lashes are less dense more obvious -definitely not a plus.

I agree with the other reviewers who said that this product is only appropriate for those who are satisfied with the density and thickness of their lashes and are going for added length.

I don't like this mascara at all. I find it very clumpy, and it doesn't hold a curl for me at all. The lengthening properties are ok at best. Not great. I don't mind the smell, as I do with others, but I can't stand the clumps. It's fairly sticky when it's dry too.

on 12/3/2008 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is a very good "primer" mascara product. (which are all the rage now, aren't they?!) I got this in the waterproof variety in Very Black. The primer went on easily enough, though I had to apply several coats to build up the volume on my lashes. I was a bit concerned that the mascara would clump, but this was not the case. THe mascara applied nice and evenly. The color was a rich, silky black. My lashes looked long and thick and lush. No flakes or smudgingThe overall effect was very nice and natural, but not too in your face. Certainly an appropriate, attractive look for any occasion. I also use Jane's MaxLash2 in Blackest Black ($4.99), and like that as well--though the effect of the Jane brand is more dramatic and more appropriate for night-time, or evening makeup. These kinds of mascaras are best removed by WASHING your face with with a gentle, water soluable cleanser. Just be careful. I use Clean and Clear Gentle Cleanser and have had no problems removing these kinds of mascaras.

on 8/6/2008 10:59:00 PM

I purchased this.30 fl oz (.15 fl oz as basecoat and .15 fl oz as topcoat) at my local Walgreens for $8.49 today in #561 Very Black in the waterproof version.
It promised up to 60% longer lashes and 7x the volume. No clumps, no smudges, no flakies. The color was described as an intense black, but I think it's just a natural black.
I used an eyelash curler prior to application. It did not release the curl at all. I swept the topcoat on and was amazed to see nice separation and a healthy black gloss to my lashes. I was hoping for more volume though. The length was pretty good. I ended up using 3 light coats without clumping! The formula was of a medium consistency.
I liked this much better than the XXL Curl version. I just wished I got a bit more thickness/volume.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Unbelievable. This was an impulse purchase just to try something new. I have pale, sparse, short, straight-pointing-downward lashes. I have never tried any of those lash primer products. I think the reason this product works for me is the slender, soft brush. I never pump my mascaras and I always scrape the excess back into the bottle using the opening. 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of mascara in the black gives me dramatic lashes that don't look overdone. 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of mascara gives me the look of false lashes. To remove I use a cotton ball soaked in baby oil and some water and dab it on. I swipe downward until I get most of it. Then I was my entire face with Johnson's Head to Toe, and it all comes off without tugging at the delicate skin of my eyes, nor pulling lashes out. Doesn't clump, flake, or give me undereye shadows. HG drugstore mascara.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara seperated my eyelashes well, but as the day went on it flaked and on the tips of a couple of my eyelashes I could see the white primer underneath...maybe I had not coated enough times (I put two coats on) but to me this product is much less superior to others, as I have used hundreds of brands of mascara...if you were new to mascaras and primers, you would love this...I already use Sheseido mascara base daily and have many high end mascaras to compare this to. I would never buy this thin mascara again, I want seperation, length, and volume when I purchase mascara and all this did was seperate, I can do that with a metal comb myself! Oh, and it did flake :(

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This did not work out for me!! Left me with very clumpy eyelashes.
I tried all the tips in these reviews and nothing worked.
Would not buy again.

Mascara is a funny thing. Something that is fabulous for me may very well be your worst nightmare and vice versa. For me, this mascara was really quite good. My lashes curl naturally and they are somewhere in the middle lengthwise. One coat of this on top of the primer gave my lashes a natural look. three coats gave me a false lash look. It did not clump at all and it didn't flake either. I have so many different mascara's and I continue to try them. This one was a positive experience. I would buy it again on sale.