REVLON Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Charcoal

Filtered by skin type : Combination
REVLON Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Charcoal

3.5

on 12/21/2014 4:58:00 AM

I love the colour of this liner, it's perfect for day-time wear. But, and this is a deal breaker for me, it doesn't apply smoothly. I have to go over again and again and even then it looks patchy/uneven close ups. Also it takes a vigorous rub trying to take it off. I am sure there are better alternatives out there, so I will not repurchase.

on 11/17/2013 1:29:00 PM

Love this eyeliner pencil - nice smoky grey colour and doesn't budge all day (and I MEAN doesn't budge - even after i've washed my face twice there's usually still traces - I remove these with a cotton bud and a bit of vaseline). Like that there's no sharpening involved..just twist the bottom to push more of the pencil up. Convenient!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I used to use this all the time, until i noticed that it SMEARS terribly by a few hours. what i really like though, is that it comes on really BOLD.

on 4/15/2011 2:57:00 PM

I bought this solely for my bottom waterline because my cousin swears by this eyeliner. Fail. I resembled a panda when I previewed my face on her camera. Will never buy this again. In addition, I've purchased Prestige's Total Intensity Eyeliner and can't wait to try it out based on the rave reviews here in MUA. Hope it performs better than Colorstay.

I bought this because I have blue eyes and didn't want black because it's too harsh. I tried to apply it to my waterline on the bottom and it wouldn't go on I tried the upper lash line same thing. It is very hard to apply and I would not recommend it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I'm on my second thingy of this eyeliner. I really like it, a lot. It goes on smooth and easy, it's in a twist-able container, and u can sharpen it with the built in sharpener to get a finer/thinner line. It comes off really easy with make-up remover. I wear this eyeliner everyday of my life. I don't go anywhere without it on.

I love the navy in the colorstay but I must admit this charcoal is disappointing especially if you purchase it only to use on your waterline (which I did). It is not a strong colour for the waterline, I will have to try it on my eyelids so it is not wasted. It is a pretty colour but just no good as a waterline eyeliner.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

In the past, I have been a big fan of the colorstay automatic pencils. I stopped using them because I have found other, even softer eyeliners, but I recently rediscovered this in my stash, and I really like it!

The color is pretty much exactly the color of the cap: A dark gray with a slight metallic sheen. The sheen does not really show up super metallic or frosty or anything, so it does a very good job of defining the eyes. I don't like the look of really metallic or glittery eyeliners for everyday. I really like this for a softer look then just black. I also think the color is more interesting the brown, and some eyeshadow looks just don't go well with brown eyeliner. I think this color defines the eyes, but really allows for my eyelashes to really stand out better then on just a dark black background. Also, it is really nice to use on the bottom lash line. I am fair and since lightening my hair I find dark rims around the eyes is too much, even for more dramatic looks, but if I use black on the top and this on the bottom, it is still sultry and dark. I have tried other gray pencils, but they are too light, too dark, or too silver. This is the best one I have tried thus far!

In terms of wear, it wears very well for me. It lasts all day and I donít have any issues with smudging. The pencil is creamy, so you can smudge it, but work quickly because it sets quickly. Once it sets, it does not budge. I did a test on my hand, no matter how hard I rub, itís still there! Itís really amazing.

I also love the packing, the automatic pencil is convenient and a little sharpener on the other end if you want to do a really fine line. My only complaint is that over time these pencils dry and become hard and brittle making it impossible to apply. I think if the cap clicked on better/tighter it would help.

Here is a quick comparison of some other grays I have tried:
Rimmel Exaggerate in steel is a pretty close dupe, but it is not as opaque, and so it takes a little more work to apply, but it also a little creamer. I prefer the Colorstay because it lasts longer. I also have the Avon waterproof Glimmer Stick in Smoky Grey, which is more taupe of a dark taupe with NO shimmer what so ever. It is also very long wearing (see my separate review for it if you are interested). Lastly, the
For reference, I am fair, warm (NC15-20) and have hazel/green eyes. Lastly, and the only one mentioned that is a sharpen-able pencil is the L'oreal Extra Intense in gray, which is so dark it is almost black, so I wouldn't recommended it if you are looking for a grey color.

on 6/27/2010 9:36:00 PM

i LOVE this! i had been looking for a charcoal or dark gray color to use instead of black, since black is so harsh. love love LOVE this eyeliner! it glides on perfectly for me, love the twist up, and the included sharpener to make the tip at a point to wing out the liner! it's such a great idea! the color is perfect for smoky eyes too! i wore it to the pool and it stays on 100% without smudging or fading. it's PERFECT. definitely would buy this again.

on 6/17/2010 10:07:00 AM

Perfection! This eyeliner is not only long lasting but the color is the best, it's as if Revlong took, lavender, blue, black and a hint of brown and swirled it together. It's the best eyeliner I have found to date. The packaging is great, goof proof actually...I have several of the Colorstay Eyeliners but Charcoal is a definite home run!