Renee Rouleau Elderberry Toner

Renee Rouleau Elderberry Toner

4.5

Not tested on animals

Deionized water, sambucas nigra (elderberry) fruit extract, polysorbate 20, sodium PCA, diazolidinyl urea, iodopropnyl butylcarbamate

Very nice (alcohol-free & fragrance-free) toner for oily/combination/sensitive skin types. Lovely scent, hydrating and has short ingredient list. I recently purchased the toning cloths to go with it so I use less product.

I definitely feel like Im the odd man out here as I have loved every RR Skincare product I have tried but this Elderberry Toner bombed for me. I am Skin Type #3 and even though the Balancing Toner was recommended in my routine I was hesitant in getting it as many claimed it dried them out and I am prone to this especially as Im already using the BHA/AHA Cleansing Gel. This toner has such good reviews figured it would be the perfect dose of light hydration (/ph balance as they claim is needed after washing your face). However oddly after using it day and night it broke me out and added to clogged pores and prevented them from going away even with use of all my exfoliators. It just seemed to hydrate too much for me. I honestly have been a slight skeptic as far as the RR line claiming a toner is an absolute neccesity as my skin has always rejected them, regular toners always over hydrated my skin like this one and astringent or salycilic or aha toners made me overproduce oil. I will probably give the Balancing Toner a try as my last attempt, otherwise will follow this skin care line in everything but using a toner. Guess toners sadly aren't for everyone as much as I have tried. Also I am lost how anyone can deal with the smell of this. I am not picky with smells at all but this reeks of a hospital type old lady smell. I had to hold my breathe when I was using it because it was so overbearing and woudn't go away lol.

on 7/7/2011 12:44:00 PM

I started out the Renee Rouleau line with this toner, the White Tea Serum and the toning cloths. I have since expanded my use to follow almost each thing in my skin regiment line. I fall between a 4 and 5 and decided to use the Elderberry toner over the Lemon toner and I love it. This toner is one of the best I have ever tried, and I've tried a lot.
My skin is fair with rosy cheeks and occasional pimples, I have an oily T-Zone and drier cheeks. This toner doesn't inflame my skin and helps reduce the redness. It doesn't take it away, but my skin feels and looks calmer.

It is fragrance free, but does have a smell that I can't put my finger on, sort of like the blue raspberry freezies I ate as a kid, but not quite. If I had one thing to buy from Renee Rouleau it would be the toning cloths. If I had 2 things to buy it would be this toner. I have already repurchased it twice and just submitted my order for a third bottle so I won't run out. I do highly recommend you get the toning cloths too if you do happen to purchase from her website. They help reduce the amount used.

My only disappointment in the toner is the packaging. I find that I do have to be very careful with pouring out product. I think that if she adopted the packaging that has a small hole at the mouth rather than the whole mouth of the bottle open it would be a 5 for package. Its also somewhat pricey at U$30 for the bottle but it is big and with everyday use I would go through about 3-4 bottles a year. I have to say though, in the past I wouldn't finish a bottle of anything, and would often spend much more money purchasing new products while I have over 50% left so in a way, this helps reduce the amount I spend.

EDIT: this still is a nice toner, and I am finishing up the bottle. but, for the price, it's a bit too basic (see ingredients above). yes they give you 8 oz but it's still $33, and it's not as good as my Thayers rose toner which was only $9 for 12 oz....so, i won't be repurchasing this. it is not as hydrating as the Thayers rose.

wonderful product. best toner I have tried & I have tried sooo many from different lines. This one is very gentle and soothing - definitely calms my skin the instant I put it on. Makes my face feel more hydrated and softer.

on 7/7/2008 12:33:00 AM

I love this toner! It's gentle, but gets the last traces of cleanser or makeup off my skin, and leaves my skin feeling soft and soothed. You literally need 4-5 drops of it to do your whole face. A whole bottle lasted me almost a year!

on 1/11/2008 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I absolutely love this toner. This is my favorite thus far. It makes my skin feel so clean and moist. I also tried the balancing tonic for oiler skins but it dried me out too much. This is perfect even for my combo/oily skin. I would definitely try it but only with her toning pads as it saves so much of the product instead of being wasted in a cotton pad.

on 12/30/2007 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is the only toner that doesn't irritate or dry out my skin - it actually soothes it. Took one lippie off for the outrageous price though. $30 for 8 oz. For reference I have mild rosacea, oily t-zone, dry cheeks. They rec'd the Blue Azulene toner for me since I have rosacea, but it was *slightly* irritating and not as soothing as the Elderberry.

Key Ingredients: Elderberry Fruit Extract- potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, Sodium PCA- water-binding agent to help attract and retain moisture to the skin

on 10/16/2007 1:53:00 PM

This is a gentle toner. My face feels cleaner and doesn't get dried out and red like alot of other toners that I have tried.

on 7/3/2006 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

UPDATE: still one of my fav's. I love all her toners. They don't just remove the last traces of makeup or cleanser but have ingredients that feed the skin. My fav toner of all of RR - I use several depending on how my skin is acting at the moment. It is gentle but cleanses away any last bit of cleanser, etc. and smells awesome from the naturel ingred. UPDATED: Still one of my fav toners.

on 7/10/2005 9:14:00 PM

This is a wonderful toner! They go have lots of different skin types to choose from and I'm in the skin type #2. It smells great, really refreshes my sensitive/combo breakout-prone skin and doesn't dry me out at all. (It's alcohol free.) Love it!