Thierry Mugler Alien

Thierry Mugler  Alien
Alien

3.3

on 6/22/2017 2:16:00 PM

I do like white florals. They're not my favorite, but I like them. My body chemistry rounds out sharp notes and makes them sweeter, less acrid. A well-blended gardenia makes my senses sing. That being said, this is beyond horrendous on me. Alien is the only scent that has ever forced me to hop in the shower after application. And it's so strong, with off-the-charts longevity (why can't my faves be like this??). It's difficult for me to describe, since it's a memory I kind of want to block, but Alien is a: dirty to the point of filthiness, synthetic, high-frequency jasmine. It's like getting blasted in the nostrils by the moist, pollen-y center of a flower grown in a sci-fi-movie laboratory, as it looms like an evil overlord spraying its unwanted seed onto your flesh. You are in its clutches; it cackles at your misfortune.

I do not like Alien, lol.
I have a relative this smells amazing on, though. Skin chemistry is legit crazy.

on 12/15/2014 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I tried this on a tester strip and fell in love. It was a blast of rude jasmine with some hairspray and grape around the edges. It really smelled like something from space. I tried it on my skin and it was like a completely different perfume. The jasmine lost its sluttiness and grew up into something drier and more austere and all this amber/vanilla warmth emerged out of nowhere to dominate the scent. As it developed, I realized that I had inadvertantly sprayed on the signature scent of my 60 year old aunt! She's extremely fashionable, but still. At that point I was done. This is a pleasant, agreeable warm glowy smell but it ended up being too mature for me. I could see revisiting this down the road because it is a lovely composition. My boyfriend hated it. He is a fan of vintage "old lady" fragrances on me but this is one falls in the uncanny valley of loud suburban mom smells.

on 9/29/2014 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I had gone to Macy's in search of a new perfume. I sprayed it and wasn't crazy about it at first. I got home and smelt my wrist where I sprayed and couldn't stop smelling it. The scent had changed on my skin. I knew I had to have it. I just purchased this perfume and absolutely love it. It's such a different scent then any other perfume out there. People on here review that it's strong. But, that's whats great about it. Other perfumes I have to douse myself in so you can smell it. This perfume you only need a spritz or 2 and you're good to go. I can't complain about the price because I waste way more of my other perfumes by reapplying. This perfume you don't need to reapply. My boyfriend loves the smell. He always says he likes my perfume but this one is by far his favorite. I will always keep this perfume in stock.

on 10/15/2013 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Good lord. This fragrance is so one-note. I got a sample of it thinking I'd love it (I love Michael Kors and reviewers often draw parallels between that frag and this one) but oh god, no. It screams at you like a bad 80's hair metal song. It's not a definite scrubber but I couldn't wait for it to dry down and fade a bit. I liked the one note I could pick out but it smelled incredibly synthetic. I much prefer Angel to this but even then, I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on it. The only upside? It's not boring!

on 5/10/2013 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Only words to describe this are sexy, strong, and seductive.... PERFECT!!!!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Sweet baby Jesus, this is my all time favorite perfume! The smell is so unique and you can tell when someone is wearing it. It lasts all day, and i mean it! I always get compliments on it, and even when i cant smell it anymore people are still asking you what perfume you are wearing. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like the scent, so go and smell it! :)

on 1/10/2012 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I paid 39.50 for the 30ml which I think is quite a lot! I think I was just under the control of the fumes in the store and just bought it. The main reason I bought it was for the jasmine scent. It's definitely there and I love it. Also the price is definitely justifiable because one spray on your wrist and you can dab that over your whole body. I honestly can't describe the scent, I can't believe there's only three notes because it smells so complex and wonderful!

I definitely would not judge on first sniff, it seems to vary over time. It's like buying multiple perfumes and smelling new scents ever once in a while!

on 1/6/2012 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

While working in cosmetics and fragrance for a department store over the holidays, I acquainted myself with pretty much every tester bottle sitting out on a daily basis. Hey, I couldn't do my job without forming an opinion on all of them, right? In the early days of working in fragrance, posting up right next to the Thierry Mugler reps was the most out-of-the-way spot, so I got to know the Chanels, TMs, and Burberrys pretty well. The formidable Angel, surprisingly, grew on me over time, despite my first impression of raisins when I first smelled it. This seems to be the story with everyone who eventually likes Angel.

But this is a review about Alien. The bottle is what first drew me in -- like something out of The Fifth Element. Milla Jovovich would've totally taken this out and sprayed it on herself in the movie, if she, y'know, knew what the hell perfume was. My favorite shade of purple (deep, royal, Mardi-Gras purple) with gold claw-like accents. I don't have my sample in front of me, but it's like Angel's sweet little sister. The one who wears skirts all the time and pink lip gloss but will still lay your ass out if you get handsy. Angel will do the same, but Angel has the voice of a career chain smoker. Alien sings soprano in the local church choir.

All I know is that one night I got to a party wearing Alien and started hugging everyone, and down the line every single person said some variant of, "You smell like heaven," which is ad nauseam what the first person I greeted said. Go sniff it for yourself.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I wanted to love this perfume. I thought it would be "the one" for me. When I smelled it in the store it was like something clicked and I knew I had to buy it. I purchased the gift set that included the body wash and lotion along with a medium sized perfume. The next day I took a shower and used the body wash, then after I dried off the lotion, and finally a few sprays of the perfume on my pulse points. I read that layering scents like with the body wash and lotion will make the perfume last longer. This was not the case for me. Less than an hour later and I could barely smell it at all, even family members didn't notice I was wearing anything. I tried this on a few different days and it was the same thing. I was so sad to have to take it back, the smell is so different and delicious, not to mention the gorgeous bottle.

on 5/7/2011 11:54:00 AM

I can't believe it - but I LOVE this fragrance! Initially, I was very wary - I received it as a gift and, upon sniffing the bottle, totally recoiled. There was no way I was going to put this on! It was too strong, and a bit "old". But, I did and I have fallen in love - it does something wonderful with my body chemistry and comes out smelling nothing like it does in the bottle. On me, Alien is a conundrum - soft but bold, sweet but spicy, demure but sexy. It has delicate Jasmine notes, but is also woodsy (amber notes, I think?). Vanilla also comes through on me, with a soft powder scent. When I wear it, I feel feminine and vixen-y. It's very long-wearing, and clings nicely to my hair, scarves and clothes. I deducted one lippy because I do find it a bit strong, and I need to be very careful about applying it sparingly. Normally I'm a fruity-scent kind of girl, but this is a big exception. (By the way, I have the Eau de Parfum, not the Eau de Toilette.) I daresay it's my new signature scent!

Popular Fragrances