Thierry Mugler Alien

Alien

3.7

on 12/22/2016 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

One of my all time favourite perfumes. This has such an alluring and curious scent it's like nothing I've ever smelt before. I've had many perfumes before and in all the years I've been buying my own beauty products I've never found a scent I've literally had to have. I my first bottle of this last Christmas and was totally gutted when I misplaced it at a soft play area shortly after. Luckily someone handed it in and I was able to get it back. I would definitely repurchase this as this is a staple in my collection.

This is quite a strong scent. Not for the faint hearted. It has a 'dirtiness' scent to it. Perhaps sensual. Excellent lasting power (all day). Good sillage. I dont really like it and it could be offputting for many I think. It seems to be a love or hate thing!
It is meant to be a jasmine scent but jasmine seems to smell different in different perfumes. It doesnt smell like a natural jasmine at all. The scent is quite linear too.
It may be good for layering if youre in to layering perfumes.
The bottle is cool and unique.
I dont think products should be defined by age and more by taste/personality but I wouldnt give this to someone young as it seems more a grown up scent.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I have a massive perfume collection (100+) and a very wide range of tastes. Many people stick to one or two categories (white floral, oriental, gourmand, etc) but in my collection pretty much every category gets good representation with the exception of the floral aldehydes (ie, Chanel No.5).
Alien is one of my faves. There's nearly no point describing it because differing body chemistries give different results. However, overall this is a mix of fruit, musk, and flowers...a kind of grape-blackcurrant-jasmine-musk.
It is VERY long lasting in EDP and VERY rich, potent...do your family a favor and don't put any more than two sprays on.
It is not for shrinking violets or young pre-teens...it's very 'confident' and womanly. My husband is fond of it...he seems to be a fan of jasmine-y scents. I wore it to the tanning salon and the first thing the manager said when I stepped up to the counter was 'holy cow, you smell really, really good'.
Unlike its sister Angel, Alien is still unknown and complex enough that you're not gonna smell it on every fifth person. It really is a little bit 'alien', a strange, unique creation, be that for better or worse. This really is one of those that not everyone can be friends with. But don't you get tired of perfumes that smell like fifty-six others?
The bottle is beautiful and strange. Is it an otherworldly crystal? Alien talons holding a jewel? An alien egg of some kind? People who see it on your vanity will want to pick it up. Someone put a lot of thought into the design.
It is on the more expensive side, like Angel, for the amount you get, but well worth it because you need so little to make your statement.
Go test it in EDP and EDT ( you might find EDT more to your liking as it IS lighter and cheaper)but do let it develop before deciding.
Good luck!!

My favourite perfume I have been wearing this scene for over 7+ years, I love the scent it's very musky and mysterious. I have repurchased this a few times and have the refill bottle! It is on the expensive side but if you love it why not treat yourself.

on 5/23/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This perfume smells like it has many notes and it goes through several changes on the skin. I don't find what it settles into pleasing enough to repurchase, however. When I first spray it there is a burst of something nice but hard to describe. Once it hits the skin it smells like artificial grape and black pepper to me along with a floral scent. As it dries it becomes more floral and musky. It is a very strong fragrance and lasts long. It does not smell natural, as has been pointed out. I'm not a fan of most florals so I don't enjoy what it becomes eventually on the skin. To me it starts out interesting but becomes dull.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've had a sample of this sitting around and decided to finally make an effort to use it. I've heard a lot about Alien being a very divisive scent, but I was surprised to find out how mild the EDP is on me.

So, while others seem to find Alien bombastic, this is a very soft and feminine albeit synthetic perfume on me. The only thing referencing Alien to me is that it's a very linear and perfected scent - the notes do not come across as natural but rather perfectly curated versions of the notes.

For me this starts out and stays a warm musk/tonka bean with some immaculately clean jasmine/white floral mixed in - very ladylike. Lasts a good while and stays close to the skin, with the floral eventually developing into something more soapy smelling.

I like it, but I was also expecting something unique and on my skin this is par for the course floral fragrance. Since this seems to bloom into something really dependent on your skin type (perhaps even the weather), don't do a blind buy of this.

on 2/28/2014 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Alien is different. Mostly orange blossom or jasmine, honey, grape juice, a note of metal, and a dash of pepper. Reminds me of LouLou, but richer and deeper. And a lot like vintage Poeme in the drydown. Delicious and comfortable if applied with a light hand, brash and ridiculous if applied too heavily. Took me about 10 years to understand Alien. It's actually become a favorite of mine. I have now joined the 21st century and am officially "with the program." I've been assimilated into the ranks of Mugler devotees.

on 2/2/2014 6:19:00 AM

This is a weird fragrance. Alien is a good name for it. It's different from most scents I've liked before. The perfume to me, smells exactly like Flying Fox shower gel from Lush with a peppery after smell. It's warm and sexy smelling. I can smell jasmine and honey in this but I could just be crazy. I'm not sure what notes are in this perfume. My husband loves the smell of this perfume on me. I read online how men adore this scent. It's heavy and heady, a little goes a long way with this stuff. I almost always buy the 3.4oz size when it comes to fragrance but I bought this in the 1oz and that is more than plenty. If I had the 3.4oz, it might go bad before I could use it up. Also, this stuff is expensive as hell and I didn't want to shell out $130 for the largest size. I've always gravitated towards fresh and clean scents but this is a mature, seductive scent. I would not wear this to work or for a casual daytime fragrance. It works well with my body chemistry. It's just a really unique and strange fragrance. It's hard to describe. The scent is polarizing, you'll either love it or hate it.

Smells really unique definitely alien-like! I usually don't go for weird scents but this one is mysterious! I have the sample size and would be purchasing this in the near future!

on 11/30/2013 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use the EDT almost every day, works amazingly with my natural scent. It feels luxurious but very cool and a touch edgy at the same time. I've got soooo many compliments when wearing it!

Only thing I don't like about it is that I can't pop the top off, so it can't be used with a Travalo -- but maybe it's just the EDT, never tried the EDP.

Popular Fragrances