L'Oreal Paris Feria Starry Night

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
L'Oreal Paris Feria Starry Night

3.6

on 4/10/2018 10:28:00 PM

So I had Splat Pink Fetish Hair. With Splat Blue...something. Anyway. I mixed those on my ends and had blue and purple. I used oops a couple weeks later thinking itd take it out...oops. It didnt. So since I needed to change it to something less provocative I went to get a black. I saw Starry Night Feria. I loved the blue undertones. Well. I put it right on top of my pink hair. Now I have the coolest black and blue hair and when the sun or a bright light hits it there are still shines of pink and purples. The dye wasn't made for dyed hair. I knew that something would be off. But it was a good off. I love my hair pink and would keep it that way but my job won't allow unicorn hair lol. Now I can blend in beautifully and the glow my pink hair off in the sun! Eat that inside job!!!

on 3/22/2018 7:13:00 PM

I LOVE STARRY NIGHT! I wanted black but this has a really nice blue to it. I’m in love. I have really thick hair and I dye it multiple colours this dye covered all the colors.

on 9/5/2016 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Disclaimer:

If you are dying your hair for the first time, or don't have any idea how hair color and chemicals will take with your skin, GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST! If you have other color in your hair, and aren't sure how box color will turn out...GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST!

Review:

I have been using this particular box color for many years, and even though I have tried other brands along the way, I always come back to this.

Pros:
1) Unlike a lot of other box dye brands that I have tried, Feria always seems to make my hair feel more soft and healthy. I don't lose a ton of strands either even though that is typically normal (even when I have gone to the salon to get it colored). I tried the Olia by Garnier and was a little freaked out about how much hair I lost after rinsing the dye out (and that stuff STAINS!...which brings me to....)

2) The dye doesn't stain as much as other dyes that I have tried. It comes off the bathtub fairly easily with a little diluted bleach. I'm also not left with black dye stains on my forehead for days!

3) I love the conditioner it comes with. It lasts quite a long time and contributes to the softness of my hair.

4) The price is pretty good for what I get out of it. Since I have been dying my hair black for so long, it probably fades slower than someone who has just dyed their hair for the first time. I dye my hair about every 3-4 months (I typically have a bout a half inch to an inch of roots showing at that point).

5) Packaging is good and the instructions are easy to follow. The application of the color is easy. Just make sure you have plenty of towels around that you don't mind getting dye on. I typically try to apply the color leaning over the bathtub just in case!

Cons:
1) I have to buy two boxes in order to cover all of my hair. I used to have to buy three when my hair was down to the middle of my back, but now my hair is just right past my shoulders. Still, $25 is better than having to fork out $70-100 to get it professionally done.

Honestly, I don't really have many cons!

So with all of that being said, I will continue to return to this color because it really does work well for me and my hair.

on 5/25/2015 8:57:00 AM

I have very thin medium length hair which had been bleached and dyed and was was horrible brassy light brown with 2 inches regrowth. I was very skeptical about how it would turn out but the result was gorgeous, shiny, dimentional and very blue! It blended my roots and ends perfectly and my hair feels fantastic considering its state beforehand and that I used very little of the conditioner.
I think this is one of the best blue back dyes as it doesn't look dull or flat whatsoever and I love the midnight blue hue. However, if you have lighter hair or want something more subtle this may not be the one to go for.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

LOVE THIS COLOR!! This is my absolute favorite. I've been using it for years, I love the rich black and blue color it gives my hair, it smells wonderful, and leaves my hair so soft and shiny, it's the only dye I've found that actually IMPROVES the condition of my hair. I LOVE the blue glow. It's totally worth paying a little extra than the other box dye. I've been coloring for 15 years, and I always go back to this brand and color. I don't have a big problem with staining with this one either, unlike others that stain EVERYTHING, I don't have to scrub my tub after I rinse out this one. I highly reccomend this one, I don't understand all the negative reviews on this product. The color comes out EXACTLY as it looks on the box, and it last about 6 weeks. Perfect for me!

on 1/15/2012 1:08:00 AM

I had medium brown hair... I bought this product wanting to spice up my hair. At first it was navy but after a few washes it turned more black... Now a month later it's faded to almost a grey looking. GREY! I'm only 19! My hair is grey. I'm disappointed. Usually Feria is the brand I always go to because the colour is so vibrant and multidemensional,but this navy to black to dark grey has me questioning Feria...
JPS

on 11/29/2011 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I wrote a review for this previously, but instead of updating it, I feel the need to start all over.
First of all, this color is indeed bright blue. Not bright black, like they claim, but bright blue. Also, it faded after 2, count 'em, 2 shampoos. 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now forced to re-color my hair (obviously with a different brand) a week after using this. I call bullshit on Feria. This is the single worst hair color I have ever used, and I've used 'em all!
The last time I had black hair, I dyed it once and it lasted for an entire year. I only had to touch up my roots, monthly. So the fact that this crap only lasts through a couple of shampoos just boggles my mind!

Ok. Every last one of you complaining about this product because it turned your hair blue, you are an idiot. When you go outside at night the sky is a gorgeous shade of navy BLUE. Yes, the sky is dark but it is never black unless the moon and stars are not shining! And the name of this product is STARRY NIGHT! THINK! this product does what it is supposed to do. It gave you a dark blue that you picked up, read the box, and then bought. If you are going to complain about something, don't make yourself look like an idiot in the process. Have a good day wallowing in your own stupidity.

on 3/26/2011 10:06:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS PRODUCT WILL TURN YOUR HAIR BLUE IF YOUR HAIR COLOR IS BLONDE OR ESPECIALLY LIGHT. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS IF YOU WANT STRAIGHT BLACK, THE TITLE IS MISLEADING.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that I've got that little warning, I can get onto my review guilt-free, without worrying about misleading anyone due to the high marks I have given this product.

If you are looking for a rich blue, don't bother poking around specialty stores for Manic Panic or Special FX, this little easy-to-find drug store gem is a definite keeper for those in the alternative crowd. The color is super-rich and deep while also being very brightly and definably blue-indigo. Hell yes!

Unlike other reviewers, I actually quite dig having my hair unnatural colors and had been looking for a rich, stalwart royal blue or indigo to compliment my orange mohawk. Originally, I had used a Manic Panic's Midnight Blue and Special FX's Napalm Orange.

The orange came out great but the blue turned out a bit flat and dull. A few days later, the orange continued to shine while midnight blue betrayed me and like a fiendish chameleon, waned to an evn flatter gray-green. I redyed it but was disappointed by fading/flatness again. Midnight Blue just must be a bum color in Manic Panic's otherwise stellar line.

Anyway, I didn't want to make the trip to the specialty store to get a different blue dye so I resigned to covering the gray-green with a simple black from the nearby Wal-Greens. Black and orange would look rad together, I thought.

I selected this at random and applied it, expecting black for obvious reasons. Well, imagine how surprised I was when I rinsed my hair out and behold! Starry Night was shade of blue I'd been wanting all along.This is what you would expect from something labeled Midnight Blue!

So yeah, I could see how some ladies would be really pissed if they were stuck with unexpected blue hair but it's perfect for me.

As for it damaging hair? I don't know. My hair is pretty hardy, so I'm not the right person to ask. I also avoid having the stained-towel issue by having a set of old towels for drying my hair post-dye process. Seems like common sense to me, but eh.

In conclusion, this is bad if you're a blondie going raven but a Godsend if you're thinking about risking blue.
FYI: As with all alternative colors, you must bleach your hair pale blonde to get the full-effect, my (now ex) boyfriend used this dye with his brown hair and it simply looked very black.

on 12/25/2009 1:51:00 AM

I bought this product because I had dyed my hair hot pink for Christmas. But my father passed away the 21st, and I do not want pink hair at the funeral. I have tried bleaching out pinks/reds in the past and it turns my hair orange. So I decided to dye it black for the funeral. I chose this shade because the box claimed it was for those who use Cooler colors, but it did NOT claim it would make my hair bright blue. Even from the dark shade of pink it was, it turned blue all over. Now I will have to buy a flat black before the funeral in the hopes I can beat back the blueberry, or that it will fade. I have used Feria before and it doesn't damage my fine, blonde hair, but this overt blue is ridiculous.