L'Oreal Paris Feria Starry Night

L'Oreal Paris Feria Starry Night

3.0

on 4/10/2018 10:28:00 PM

So I had Splat Pink Fetish Hair. With Splat Blue...something. Anyway. I mixed those on my ends and had blue and purple. I used oops a couple weeks later thinking itd take it out...oops. It didnt. So since I needed to change it to something less provocative I went to get a black. I saw Starry Night Feria. I loved the blue undertones. Well. I put it right on top of my pink hair. Now I have the coolest black and blue hair and when the sun or a bright light hits it there are still shines of pink and purples. The dye wasn't made for dyed hair. I knew that something would be off. But it was a good off. I love my hair pink and would keep it that way but my job won't allow unicorn hair lol. Now I can blend in beautifully and the glow my pink hair off in the sun! Eat that inside job!!!

on 3/22/2018 7:13:00 PM

I LOVE STARRY NIGHT! I wanted black but this has a really nice blue to it. I’m in love. I have really thick hair and I dye it multiple colours this dye covered all the colors.

on 3/20/2017 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been dyeing my hair black for about 3 years now so I've tried a lot of dyes in that time but, out of all the "blue black" dyes I've tried, this is the only one that actually does what it claims to. My hair is thick & the majority of it hangs past the base of my spine but one box is more than enough to cover my roots & top-up the lengths as well.

My roots creep up on me every 2-3 weeks & I previously used "DermaV-10 0.1 Black" on my roots then "Feria Starry Night" on my lengths but, one time, my roots were particularly bad, my blue hue was fading & I had no time to go buy another dye so I applied this all over & hoped for the best. It worked so much better than I could have expected & I've been in love ever since!

PROS:
- It's JET black (none of this natural, soft black rubbish) with a lovely blue undertone.
- Total coverage of my mousy brown roots (Think: Blacker-than-black hair & browny-ginger roots; ew!).
- The colour lasts so much longer than any other dye I've used & I wash my hair 4-5 times a week, with Fibrology Air shampoo, so that's A LOT of staying power.
- The dye always leaves my hair in a lovely, soft condition that lasts for days withstanding straightening, messy buns, messier sleep, constantly touching/stroking my hair & working in a restaurant.
- I'd say that I experience about 80% less breakage immediately after using this dye.

CONS:
- No matter what I do or what tricks I try, my hairline always ends up being stained blue but I have mild scalp eczema so that could be a factor.
- The packaging has changed at least twice that I know of so it's quite hard to find & I'm always panicking that it's been discontinued.
- The top-up conditioner that's supplied now (the purple-blue bottle) stained my hands but I did stick it on before a shower without bothering to use gloves so that's really my own stupid fault.
- The smell of the dye isn't unpleasant but it does catch in your throat sometimes, particularly when you've been breathing it in for awhile.

In Scotland, this dye averages about £8-10 a box but, in my opinion, it is well worth it for the colour pay-off & condition that you get. I'm very pale & going for that Morticia Addams/Elvira look so I'm completely in love with this dye & I would recommend it to any-&-every-one.

on 9/5/2016 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Disclaimer:

If you are dying your hair for the first time, or don't have any idea how hair color and chemicals will take with your skin, GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST! If you have other color in your hair, and aren't sure how box color will turn out...GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST!

Review:

I have been using this particular box color for many years, and even though I have tried other brands along the way, I always come back to this.

Pros:
1) Unlike a lot of other box dye brands that I have tried, Feria always seems to make my hair feel more soft and healthy. I don't lose a ton of strands either even though that is typically normal (even when I have gone to the salon to get it colored). I tried the Olia by Garnier and was a little freaked out about how much hair I lost after rinsing the dye out (and that stuff STAINS!...which brings me to....)

2) The dye doesn't stain as much as other dyes that I have tried. It comes off the bathtub fairly easily with a little diluted bleach. I'm also not left with black dye stains on my forehead for days!

3) I love the conditioner it comes with. It lasts quite a long time and contributes to the softness of my hair.

4) The price is pretty good for what I get out of it. Since I have been dying my hair black for so long, it probably fades slower than someone who has just dyed their hair for the first time. I dye my hair about every 3-4 months (I typically have a bout a half inch to an inch of roots showing at that point).

5) Packaging is good and the instructions are easy to follow. The application of the color is easy. Just make sure you have plenty of towels around that you don't mind getting dye on. I typically try to apply the color leaning over the bathtub just in case!

Cons:
1) I have to buy two boxes in order to cover all of my hair. I used to have to buy three when my hair was down to the middle of my back, but now my hair is just right past my shoulders. Still, $25 is better than having to fork out $70-100 to get it professionally done.

Honestly, I don't really have many cons!

So with all of that being said, I will continue to return to this color because it really does work well for me and my hair.

on 11/14/2015 3:06:00 PM

I don't have the time or the money to get my roots done every few weeks. I have been dying my hair black for almost 10 years and as anyone with black hair knows black fades really quickly and you need a touch up every 3-4 weeks at least! I came across this color a few months ago and started using it. The kit is very easy to mix together, directions are easy to follow. Box comes with all you need (gloves, bottle and all). Once you get your technique down its really simple to just use this at home, you have your hair freshly done in a matter of an hour. The box recommends you leaving it on for 45 minutes, but I always leave it a bit longer.

I love Starry Night because it has the blue undertones and really gives you that JET BLACK hair color (not a soft black!). I have very long, thick hair and 1 bottle of this is more than enough for one application. I am usually left with a bunch of product leftover.

What I love most about this brand is that it doesn't leave my shower dirty, with stains everywhere. Some store brands tend to leave your bathroom a total mess, but L'oreal is one of the few brands that doesn't do that.

If you're looking to always have your hair look freshly done, without breaking the bank then you need a bottle of this stuff!!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Love this color! I had previously bleached my hair (palty bleach kit) and colored over it with a light golden brown shade. I had this color for a few months but I wanted a change. I decided to go back to black hair and used L'Oreal Feria Starry Night since it seemed the darkest. The color was described as a bright black. I bought it at a local beauty supply for $11 although you can probably find it at any drugstore, beauty supply, or even target, walmart, ulta, etc. The color was very rich and dark but it does have a bit of blue in it. It isn't too noticeable indoors but in the sun you can clearly see my hair is a dark blueish black color. I personally love it though so no problem, but keep this in mind especially if you have lighter colored hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I honestly don't understand the bad reviews this has. My hair came out lovely each time I used it and I've been using this for years now.

on 5/25/2015 8:57:00 AM

I have very thin medium length hair which had been bleached and dyed and was was horrible brassy light brown with 2 inches regrowth. I was very skeptical about how it would turn out but the result was gorgeous, shiny, dimentional and very blue! It blended my roots and ends perfectly and my hair feels fantastic considering its state beforehand and that I used very little of the conditioner.
I think this is one of the best blue back dyes as it doesn't look dull or flat whatsoever and I love the midnight blue hue. However, if you have lighter hair or want something more subtle this may not be the one to go for.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

LOVE THIS COLOR!! This is my absolute favorite. I've been using it for years, I love the rich black and blue color it gives my hair, it smells wonderful, and leaves my hair so soft and shiny, it's the only dye I've found that actually IMPROVES the condition of my hair. I LOVE the blue glow. It's totally worth paying a little extra than the other box dye. I've been coloring for 15 years, and I always go back to this brand and color. I don't have a big problem with staining with this one either, unlike others that stain EVERYTHING, I don't have to scrub my tub after I rinse out this one. I highly reccomend this one, I don't understand all the negative reviews on this product. The color comes out EXACTLY as it looks on the box, and it last about 6 weeks. Perfect for me!

Ok. Every last one of you complaining about this product because it turned your hair blue, you are an idiot. When you go outside at night the sky is a gorgeous shade of navy BLUE. Yes, the sky is dark but it is never black unless the moon and stars are not shining! And the name of this product is STARRY NIGHT! THINK! this product does what it is supposed to do. It gave you a dark blue that you picked up, read the box, and then bought. If you are going to complain about something, don't make yourself look like an idiot in the process. Have a good day wallowing in your own stupidity.