L'Oreal Feria Starry Night

L'Oreal Feria Starry Night

2.9

on 3/20/2017 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been dyeing my hair black for about 3 years now so I've tried a lot of dyes in that time but, out of all the "blue black" dyes I've tried, this is the only one that actually does what it claims to. My hair is thick & the majority of it hangs past the base of my spine but one box is more than enough to cover my roots & top-up the lengths as well.

My roots creep up on me every 2-3 weeks & I previously used "DermaV-10 0.1 Black" on my roots then "Feria Starry Night" on my lengths but, one time, my roots were particularly bad, my blue hue was fading & I had no time to go buy another dye so I applied this all over & hoped for the best. It worked so much better than I could have expected & I've been in love ever since!

PROS:
- It's JET black (none of this natural, soft black rubbish) with a lovely blue undertone.
- Total coverage of my mousy brown roots (Think: Blacker-than-black hair & browny-ginger roots; ew!).
- The colour lasts so much longer than any other dye I've used & I wash my hair 4-5 times a week, with Fibrology Air shampoo, so that's A LOT of staying power.
- The dye always leaves my hair in a lovely, soft condition that lasts for days withstanding straightening, messy buns, messier sleep, constantly touching/stroking my hair & working in a restaurant.
- I'd say that I experience about 80% less breakage immediately after using this dye.

CONS:
- No matter what I do or what tricks I try, my hairline always ends up being stained blue but I have mild scalp eczema so that could be a factor.
- The packaging has changed at least twice that I know of so it's quite hard to find & I'm always panicking that it's been discontinued.
- The top-up conditioner that's supplied now (the purple-blue bottle) stained my hands but I did stick it on before a shower without bothering to use gloves so that's really my own stupid fault.
- The smell of the dye isn't unpleasant but it does catch in your throat sometimes, particularly when you've been breathing it in for awhile.

In Scotland, this dye averages about £8-10 a box but, in my opinion, it is well worth it for the colour pay-off & condition that you get. I'm very pale & going for that Morticia Addams/Elvira look so I'm completely in love with this dye & I would recommend it to any-&-every-one.

I've been dying my hair black for over a year now. I usually use Revlon Colorsilk but decided on a blue black and this one intrigued me. I used Feria a few times over the years but it's not my HG.

It applied evenly to my bra strap length hair with very long layers easily. It smelled better than most colors. I had trouble opening the serum and it ended up going all over. It made the bottle slippery for sure. I let it sit for the recommended 25 minutes and then rinsed in my kitchen sink. It rinsed quickly and easily. It still smelled good. Then I applied the conditioner which also rinsed easily. Still

The result is this...Where my hair was already black, it's black. Where my roots were and my resistant grays, they're definitely blue. My scalp and face didn't end up stained like has happened with the Revlon. It still smells good and not like freshly colored hair. I can't say it's shinier, but I haven't flat ironed yet, so I can't say it feels softer as well. I'm sure it will even out in a few washes. I also noticed I didn't have the breakge and strand loss that I usually have, so that's good too. The consistency of the color is nice. It's not as liquid as Revlon but not too thick.

Would I buy again? Maybe. I'm not in love yet. Is it a bad product? I haven't seen anything myself that says it is. The scent alone was worth the price. I've used far worse. The ease of rinsing was nice too. My bathroom isn't covered in stray drops of color. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

on 9/5/2016 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Disclaimer:

If you are dying your hair for the first time, or don't have any idea how hair color and chemicals will take with your skin, GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST! If you have other color in your hair, and aren't sure how box color will turn out...GO TO A PROFESSIONAL FIRST!

Review:

I have been using this particular box color for many years, and even though I have tried other brands along the way, I always come back to this.

Pros:
1) Unlike a lot of other box dye brands that I have tried, Feria always seems to make my hair feel more soft and healthy. I don't lose a ton of strands either even though that is typically normal (even when I have gone to the salon to get it colored). I tried the Olia by Garnier and was a little freaked out about how much hair I lost after rinsing the dye out (and that stuff STAINS!...which brings me to....)

2) The dye doesn't stain as much as other dyes that I have tried. It comes off the bathtub fairly easily with a little diluted bleach. I'm also not left with black dye stains on my forehead for days!

3) I love the conditioner it comes with. It lasts quite a long time and contributes to the softness of my hair.

4) The price is pretty good for what I get out of it. Since I have been dying my hair black for so long, it probably fades slower than someone who has just dyed their hair for the first time. I dye my hair about every 3-4 months (I typically have a bout a half inch to an inch of roots showing at that point).

5) Packaging is good and the instructions are easy to follow. The application of the color is easy. Just make sure you have plenty of towels around that you don't mind getting dye on. I typically try to apply the color leaning over the bathtub just in case!

Cons:
1) I have to buy two boxes in order to cover all of my hair. I used to have to buy three when my hair was down to the middle of my back, but now my hair is just right past my shoulders. Still, $25 is better than having to fork out $70-100 to get it professionally done.

Honestly, I don't really have many cons!

So with all of that being said, I will continue to return to this color because it really does work well for me and my hair.

on 11/14/2015 3:06:00 PM

I don't have the time or the money to get my roots done every few weeks. I have been dying my hair black for almost 10 years and as anyone with black hair knows black fades really quickly and you need a touch up every 3-4 weeks at least! I came across this color a few months ago and started using it. The kit is very easy to mix together, directions are easy to follow. Box comes with all you need (gloves, bottle and all). Once you get your technique down its really simple to just use this at home, you have your hair freshly done in a matter of an hour. The box recommends you leaving it on for 45 minutes, but I always leave it a bit longer.

I love Starry Night because it has the blue undertones and really gives you that JET BLACK hair color (not a soft black!). I have very long, thick hair and 1 bottle of this is more than enough for one application. I am usually left with a bunch of product leftover.

What I love most about this brand is that it doesn't leave my shower dirty, with stains everywhere. Some store brands tend to leave your bathroom a total mess, but L'oreal is one of the few brands that doesn't do that.

If you're looking to always have your hair look freshly done, without breaking the bank then you need a bottle of this stuff!!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Love this color! I had previously bleached my hair (palty bleach kit) and colored over it with a light golden brown shade. I had this color for a few months but I wanted a change. I decided to go back to black hair and used L'Oreal Feria Starry Night since it seemed the darkest. The color was described as a bright black. I bought it at a local beauty supply for $11 although you can probably find it at any drugstore, beauty supply, or even target, walmart, ulta, etc. The color was very rich and dark but it does have a bit of blue in it. It isn't too noticeable indoors but in the sun you can clearly see my hair is a dark blueish black color. I personally love it though so no problem, but keep this in mind especially if you have lighter colored hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I honestly don't understand the bad reviews this has. My hair came out lovely each time I used it and I've been using this for years now.

on 5/25/2015 8:57:00 AM

I have very thin medium length hair which had been bleached and dyed and was was horrible brassy light brown with 2 inches regrowth. I was very skeptical about how it would turn out but the result was gorgeous, shiny, dimentional and very blue! It blended my roots and ends perfectly and my hair feels fantastic considering its state beforehand and that I used very little of the conditioner.
I think this is one of the best blue back dyes as it doesn't look dull or flat whatsoever and I love the midnight blue hue. However, if you have lighter hair or want something more subtle this may not be the one to go for.

Believe the bad reviews!!!
I wanted to find my HG blue black hair dye and this one is underwhelming. No blue black whatsoever. I don't see a difference on my hair. There are other blue black dyes that are better and cheaper. I should have listened to the many bad reviews here and other sites (heck, there's even a horror story forum about it and I was an idiot for not listening). Pathetic dye. I was so enamoured by the name "Starry Night" and really thought it would have some blue undertones in it but nope, none AT ALL. See my and many other people's mistake and learn from it by not buying it!

☆☆UNLESS YOU WANT ELECTRIC BLUE HAIR DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT☆☆

A litte background to encourage you further not to buy: I am not an amateur when it comes to coloring my own hair (since I was 15 and im 30), and ive been using Feria the last 3 years. Their product has always worked well/matched the shade stated, covered completely (I have fine hair but TONS of it), never dried out my hair or faded out quickly.. And we're talking about the fact I have to dye/touch up my hair every 6 to 8 weeks so I purchase 8 or 9 kits a year.. WELL I USED TO BUT NEVER AGAIN!
I HAVE NOW CURRENTLY SPENT IN THE LAST 4 DAYS $125 AND COUNTING TRYING TO FIX THE GIANT BLUE MESS ON MY HEAD. I always follow the instructions to the T. Even after I started to towel dry my hair and noticed a slight blue tint I didn't panic too much. I usually use violet black but wanted a new look for the new year. Ohh, I definitely got what I asked for except I didn't notice in the dull household bathroom lighting. It wasn't until I was in the fluorescent bathroom lighting at work and I freaked out! Funny think was everyone I work with is so sweet, they were complimenting me the whole day. As I examined it further I noticed that even though my hair was FULLY SATURATED the color did not take completely in certain areas... WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED!
I booked the 1st available appointment I could at a highly recommended salon several co-worker's use (2 days). Upon arrival, they examine my hair and inform me it'll more than likely take 2 appts bc blue black is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to remove and my hair is so dry and corse they thought I had dyed it 3 or 4x not just once. I still have to go back for my 2nd appt but at least my hair is a normal color. Now it just looks like straw, and I just spent $60 on repairing treatments.
☆☆IF YOU ARE TRYING FOR SUBTLE OR NATURAL... DO NOT USE THIS☆☆

I've had so many different hair colors. Purple, oranges, reds, blues, and then back to my natural- only to get bored and switch to black. My natural hair color is a very dark brown, so I figured going to black would be a slight but welcome change. I was half right. I've used Feria coloring for almost all my dye jobs. The color is incredibly vivid, it lasts, and it's cheap. Cool, great.
This color was advertised as a 'blue black'. Well, sure, if you've got really light hair. For someone with dark hair, it will make your hair a DEAD black. Which isn't all bad if you're pale like yours truly and looking for a little bit of retro glamour. Just be warned that this is NOT blue black unless your hair is light, and if you don't have thick hair it will dry and fry your hair almost beyond repair.
Thick hair? Four stars.
Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Popular Hair Products