Maxiglide iron

Maxiglide iron

3.8

on 6/17/2009 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

First, some context: I have frizzy, wavy, thick, Indian hair and live in humid south Florida

- The ceramic plates have teeth on them. Yes hair snags on the teeth (which causes breakage) but without the teeth this iron would not straighten anywhere near as well as it does
- The temperature range allows a hair to be styled from natural-looking body to stick straight hair
- The electrical cord is attached to the straightener in a way that the cord doesn't get twisted as you're using it, which is appreciated
- Lasted for me for four years through many drops and falls
- Straightens beautifully. I once straightened my hair before a sweat-drenched dance marathon at a club and I was the only girl who managed to emerge with straight hair. I used to get a lot of compliments about my pretty, straight hair through my years with this straightener.
- Since my Maxiglide gave out I bought a Hai Convertible straightener and while it works great, I still prefer the Maxiglide

on 10/19/2008 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the best thing to ever happen to my hair. I have owned 2 now...I ordered the original model 4 years ago and recently purchased the new MP, simply because I wanted something a little smaller and less bulky and it came with 2 full size bottles of his products, The End and Beyond Straight, which are fantastic. My old one is now my back up ;)

I've been using this iron on and off for 4 years. The past 6 months, I've been wearing my hair straight exclusively (I have naturally very curly, thick, dry hair). I've owned a ton of straightening irons before and NOTHING comes even close to my Maxiglide. It makes my hair stick straight, shiny and so soft. Now, it does take some getting used to as you don't use it the same way you do other irons. You CANNOT squeeze or pull! That's when hair breaks. You have to follow their directions exactly but once you get the hang of it, it's so simple. I truly believe if you're hair is turning frizzy from this it's because you are not using it properly! The steam function makes a HUGE difference on my ends. Honestly, my hair's condition has improved using this...as when I wear my hair natural, I have to wash and blow dry daily, but when its straight I can let it air dry, straighten and then leave it alone for a couple days without washing. I love my hair thanks to Maxiglide.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

it was good at first. until it broke my hair, i had to cut off good 3 inches off of my hair because it damaged it so much. my hairdresser said because of it my hair was dry and unhealthy. not worth the money, even if it costed $15 i wouldnt buyt it again.

on 12/31/2007 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is going straight back to HSN where I got it. For one, I hope mine isn't defective because it just doesn't seem to get very hot at all, even on the highest setting of #10. I have never even seen steam coming off my hair on the highest setting even using the steam burst thing. I've varied the number of times I've worked on a section of hair, and varied how fast/slow I glide it through my hair. I have used this six different times to give it the benefit of the doubt. I mean for $80+ it should be awesome.....I've watched the informercials, etc etc etc.....Well what this did for my hair was nothing close to what they showed and I have very thick, naturally curly hair that frizzes like a mo-fo. I tried everything from different heat settings, to using different size sections of hair, different styling products to using nothing at all.....none of it made a difference. AND this iron made my ends look like hell, I mean like I held a lit candle to them. No matter what I did or used on the ends both before and after, and no matter how long I ironed the ends or didn't iron them (to try to protect them more) they still looked awful The only thing that rescued my hair to make the ends look not so dead was to use my old Revlon Ceramic flat iron. I also added some more conditioner to my ends and sealed it in with my cheapie iron and was finally happy with the results. I'm really sad to say that my old cheap iron completely outperforms this MaxiGlide. The only plus to the Maxiglide is the straightening pins.....so if I can find a Revlon with the same pins, I'd be in heaven. I learned a good lesson with this iron- just because the infomercials promise you the moon and the stars doesn't mean it is for everyone. Granted I know the reviews are outstanding....I am just praying that if I get this replaced with a new one and I get the same crappy results, I will know for sure the iron as a whole is garbage for me. I feel jealous of the other people here who have great experiences with it.

My hair is wispy, frizzy, wavy, coarse, damaged, healthy, all of it. But one thing it is not is SMOOTH. This iron makes my hair feel like a waterfall. I don't use it all over, just on the top layer of hair which is exposed for all the world to see. That way all the wave and body of the natural curls buoy the smooth, straight hair, making my hair look ultra think and well-kept. Or styled even. Which is something I have never been able to say in my life!

I don't consider it heavy or unweildly because this is my first straightener and I have nothing to compare it to. It feels normal to me. It heats up fast and cools down fast.

I also use a product from Sally's Beauty Supply to protect my hair from the heat, and I recommend that strongly too.

Popular Hair Styling Tools