Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.3

I'd have to chime in here with I love, love, love this product. I bought it off their website on a whim and I am definitely glad I did. The price was a little steep at the time but considering how much I use it, it more than makes up for the expense.

It heats up quickly. It works great. Straight hair in half the time of other straighteners I've used.

Just a few things in regards to other posts that I see: you shouldn't use the steam function until the appliance is a couple of inches away from the scalp (this is in their instructions) otherwise, yes, you will get burned. Also the little "combs" are not really meant to de-tangle your hair. Use a comb or brush to go through your hair to remove big tangles before using. The combs are there more for separating your hair so it can receive even heating from the appliance.

It is a little heavier than other straighteners, but as you don't have to pull and clamp down on your hair in order to get your hair straight with this tool, you won't notice that for long. 20 min and I'm done (I have long, wavy hair).

Definite full 5 lippies on this one. Would never purchase any other straightener.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This flat iron is bulky and very difficult to use. It also adds another 2hrs to the hair straightening process. My hair is very curly. I must get the thinnest sections and flat iron them with this because otherwise it would pull my hair (it hurts). The styling products that came along with it are quite good. Having to fill the tiny chamber with water every 10 minutes is irritating. Because of the size, I can't get it too close to my scalp otherwise I get burned. I thought this would be a good investment but I was wrong. It was a waste of money. I think I've used it all of 5 times and I've had it for over 2 years. I really don't like it. WARNING: YOU WILL HAVE LARGE AMOUNT OF HAIR IN THE PINS. IT LITERALLY YANKS THEM OUT. I also noticed that the smoothness didn't last. My hair frizzed out by the end of the evening (with my aveda anti-humectant!!!) The only thing I did like was the 'Beyond Straight' that came with it. It really does leave hair bouncy and shiny after a blow dry, not air dry, blow dry.

on 4/15/2008 10:00:00 PM

this is the first expensive flat iron I have ever purchased and it's ok nothing that special it pulled my hair the first couple of times until I got the hang of it. i wanted my hair to be shiny like they advertised on TV but no my hair is left frizzy and dry. I thought this was supposed to be good for your hair well I was going to send it back but my 30 days are over I'm giving this to my sister maybe it will work for her.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this at Bed Bath & Beyond, not through the infomercial. I think it was around $70. This is definitely one of the best flat irons I have ever used. It makes the straightening process much faster, but it does rip my hair out if I try to iron too big of a section, go to quickly, or don't do a little detangling beforehand. My hair was breaking off very badly last summer, and one of my stylists thought it was because of this iron. I started using a Teflon-coated 1-inch ceramic from Remmington instead that works pretty well...but I when I went home from college one weekend I decide to try the Maxiglide again. It worked very well and didn't pull out as much hair as I thought it would. I think I am going to try it on my hair while it is curly the next time I am home. The only other thing I didn't like about the Maxiglide was that is such a hassle to clean!!! I have to SCRUB with dish soap and a toothbrush to get off all of the gunk, otherwise it builds up.

on 10/6/2007 6:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is the BEST straightener I have ever used. I know it has something to do with the comb-like pins on the plate. My hair is fine, color-treated, wavy, damaged and very fluffy on the ends. This straightens my hair out beautifully in about 5-10 minutes. Plus it makes my hair look extremely HEALTHY and my hair has not looked healthy since I was 13. I do admit that it is a little awkward to use on the back of my head so I separate the back into 2 sections (this helps a lot). I would definately repurchase.

EDIT:
I still love how this straightener works on my hair but I have to caution others that it broke within the year (so I took off 1 lippie) but BB&B replaced it with no problem. I hear that they have a new one out--so I might try the maxiglide MP.

on 7/28/2007 3:06:00 AM

Thsi DID CHANGE MY LIFE!!ITS THE BEST HAIR STRAIGHTENER IRON EVER!!I CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT #1 THOUGH!I LOOOVE MY MAXIGLIDE SOO MUCH

on 4/12/2007 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have thick wavy wild hair that mattes extremely easy trying to keep from matting is extremely hard. I could use the most expensive conditioner on my hair within a half hour of washing and blow drying my hair itís matted again.

I saw all the info commercials for Maxiglide; I thought the commercials were a joke. Then I saw it at Bed Bath and Beyond I had a 20% off coupon for one item. Iíve always wanted straight hair so I decided to try it.

The first time I used I was blown away within 10 minutes I had straight soft hair. Then I went to work, Iím in retail sales and it was the storesí delivery day, I was busy all day stocking merchandise unpacking totes etc. Usually on truck day my hair is in a ponytail this time it was down all day. By the time I got home, I expected my hair to be extremely matted, my hair was not, and it looked like I just straightened it.

To protect my ends from the heat I use a hair serum.

on 11/20/2006 6:15:00 PM

I am very pleased with the Maxiglide! Decided to try it out after reading reviews on here. I like it better than my Chi for my thick, wavy hair. I think it's the combo of the big plates, straightening pins, and high heat - I am able to straighten my hair more quickly. Highly recommended for girls with lots of hair. It really gets my hair poker straight too. Get it at BB&B or LnT with a 20% off coupon - pretty affordable for such a good flat iron!

on 9/24/2006 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought one 3 weeks ago after seeing the informercial over a year ago! I really really love this flat iron. It's really hot so I put the setting at 4. I also use this with a serum. The steamburst system is the best feature. It made my hair so soft, silky and shiny. Just be careful to use it after you glide it down 2-3 inches of hair. I forgot to do this on the last section and burned my scalp! And make sure you detangle really well if you use the detangling pins because it can rip your hair out if you're not careful. All in all it's a very good investment!

I took the advice of a previous reviewer and used a coupon at Bed, Bath, Beyond. Without a doubt, this is the easiest hair apparatus that I've ever used!

My hair is very treated with color, both permanent and semi-permanent, and has been recovering from a relaxing that I did earlier this year.

This iron gets VERY hot, up to 476 degrees, so I keep it between setting 5 and 6 and it really gets the job done. People don't believe me when I tell them that my usual texture is someting like Barbra Streisand's from 'Meet the Fockers' movie.

Works so fantastically, it is a holy grail for me. My hair is super ringlet curly and frizzy, very coarse and heavy with a million strands, and I didn't want to spend 9 million dollars or so (practically) on the Japanese thermal straightening systems out there (which works terrifically for my rich friends, don't get me wrong). I'm just fed up with my frizz and hair's unmanageability and this cures it.

Try it, you'll be thrilled. If you can get the BBB coupon, an even better deal. Since I've been using it awhile now, I would also add that your hair needs to be completely dry before using, and if you use a product like the MATRIX Sleek.look flat iron spray, it will really help the process. Be sure that your hair isn't terribly tangled before you start, or the hair could get pulled with the detangling pins on the Maxiglide.

Also be sure to clean your iron frequently, from both the hair that gets trapped and also any product buildup. I'm sure that it will help the iron last a lot longer and also help the process. It takes me about 15-30 mins. to do my hair and I only have do it once a week, or if I want it pin straight, every 5 days. Hope that this review helps.

Popular Hair Styling Tools