Maxiglide iron

3.5

on 10/13/2009 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Wow. I can't believe how many negative comments this iron has gotten. I love my Maxi Glide. I think some people just aren't reading the instructions right. Some are complaining that the iron snags and pulls out your hair. If you read the instructions it says to detangle your hair before using. As for the steam burst, your only suppose to use it on your ends because that's where hair is most dry. If you use it on top you will burn your scalp. If you use a serum before ironing you will get some residue on the iron but this happens with all flat irons. Same goes for those complaing about dry ends, all irons dry out your hair. As for the blue blinking light, I just put my thumb over it until it heats up and stops blinking.

on 6/17/2009 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

First, some context: I have frizzy, wavy, thick, Indian hair and live in humid south Florida

- The ceramic plates have teeth on them. Yes hair snags on the teeth (which causes breakage) but without the teeth this iron would not straighten anywhere near as well as it does
- The temperature range allows a hair to be styled from natural-looking body to stick straight hair
- The electrical cord is attached to the straightener in a way that the cord doesn't get twisted as you're using it, which is appreciated
- Lasted for me for four years through many drops and falls
- Straightens beautifully. I once straightened my hair before a sweat-drenched dance marathon at a club and I was the only girl who managed to emerge with straight hair. I used to get a lot of compliments about my pretty, straight hair through my years with this straightener.
- Since my Maxiglide gave out I bought a Hai Convertible straightener and while it works great, I still prefer the Maxiglide

I have very curly, fine hair.
I bought this thing after staying up late and watching infomercials. The first time I used it, it was amazing; or so I thought. I also had all sorts of things in my favor: I had just gotten my hair cut, I lived in Las Vegas (no humidity), and the shampoo and conditioner I use are amazing.
The results were great. It took me forever though: about 2 hours. I had movement, shine...it was wonderful. I even straightened my hair in Hawaii, and it stayed perfect.
However, after having it for about 2.5 years and using it less than 10 times, it died.
The thing that drove me most crazy about it was that blinking blue light! It's blinding!! I felt like it was going to burn a hole through my eye! Lol. Seriously though. It was horrible.
It was also very heavy.
And, what's the deal with STEAMING your hair, when humidity is like the devil to us curly heads??

I guess I'm just spoiled as I now own the GHD. Buy it!!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

this product totally works for me. it hurts a bit to pull it through my hair, and the "burst of steam button" is bs in my opinion, but this item does genuinely work.

on 8/9/2008 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Personally, I don't own this iron. But one of my best friends does and i have used it countless times. I hated this iron with a passion. It does not make hair pin straight, it snags and pulls hair out, and it turns my hair into a frizzball! It is a piece of crap. My friend says she loves it, but she always complains about the frizz. She refuses to accept that this iron is what turns it into that frizzballl. I hate this iron and i would never recomend to anyone.

on 7/29/2008 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have had my maxiglide for over a year with absolutely wonderful results for my fizzy, wild hair. I was flipping tv channels the other morning to discover maxiglide has a new and improved straighter that is smaller and lightweight. I ordered the new version that same day. I received it yesterday and used it this morning with high praise. It's less bulky than the original one.

on 7/8/2008 7:55:00 PM

Saw the commercials and I had to get it! I have very thick, long hair. It took me an hour to straighten my hair. My hair was pulled occasionally. After using it, my hair would frizz up. Then within months, it broke! I'm glad it broke because otherwise I wouldn't have discovered the Chi Turbo. Will NOT be repurchasing.

on 12/31/2007 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is going straight back to HSN where I got it. For one, I hope mine isn't defective because it just doesn't seem to get very hot at all, even on the highest setting of #10. I have never even seen steam coming off my hair on the highest setting even using the steam burst thing. I've varied the number of times I've worked on a section of hair, and varied how fast/slow I glide it through my hair. I have used this six different times to give it the benefit of the doubt. I mean for $80+ it should be awesome.....I've watched the informercials, etc etc etc.....Well what this did for my hair was nothing close to what they showed and I have very thick, naturally curly hair that frizzes like a mo-fo. I tried everything from different heat settings, to using different size sections of hair, different styling products to using nothing at all.....none of it made a difference. AND this iron made my ends look like hell, I mean like I held a lit candle to them. No matter what I did or used on the ends both before and after, and no matter how long I ironed the ends or didn't iron them (to try to protect them more) they still looked awful The only thing that rescued my hair to make the ends look not so dead was to use my old Revlon Ceramic flat iron. I also added some more conditioner to my ends and sealed it in with my cheapie iron and was finally happy with the results. I'm really sad to say that my old cheap iron completely outperforms this MaxiGlide. The only plus to the Maxiglide is the straightening pins.....so if I can find a Revlon with the same pins, I'd be in heaven. I learned a good lesson with this iron- just because the infomercials promise you the moon and the stars doesn't mean it is for everyone. Granted I know the reviews are outstanding....I am just praying that if I get this replaced with a new one and I get the same crappy results, I will know for sure the iron as a whole is garbage for me. I feel jealous of the other people here who have great experiences with it.

Well after seeing the guy on the commercials, I finally gave in and got the MaxiGlide. Despite the fact that it sounds like a variety of tampon, it's pretty good. The pins are the the only reason I got it though. I hate having to use a brush along with a straightener, it's just annoying. The pins are good for that. The problem with the straightener is that it's cheap quality, heavy, and bulky for traveling.Also, I'm a major product elitist and don't like having a straightener that's on an infomercial and created by a european guy in a ponytail. Plus the "hair flipping" feature is funny, who would ever want their hair to be that flipped up? Anyway, if you've tried everything else and want something better, this is worth a try. However, if you haven't, try the chi. I got my 2 chi flatirons in the mail today (a pink small one and a bigger one) and they're great.

on 2/16/2007 8:17:00 AM

Well, what can I say, I have STRAIGHT hair now... I had seen the maxiglide informercial several times and I always thought that perhaps it was trick or something like that... Until I saw it once again last weekend with my boyfriend and he kept on saying that I should order it, that it looks like it works because it was working on some girls that have crazier and wilder hair than mine... Well, I ordered it and I received it yesterday... I washed my hair and left it in it's natural state, my hair is exactly like the singer Shakira's but a lil bit longer and I think I have more hair too... I had to use the level 10 because my hair was still damp... Being the first time and the fact that it is somewhat heavy, I took about an hour, which is not that bad... My hair is completely straight the only thing is that I have a lot of split ends and it showed even more because due to the fact that my hair wasn't completely dry as indicated, but next time I am going to do rollers first and dry it and then do the maxiglide... But other that that, my hair is completely straight and feels very soft and manegeable... I used The End and Beyond Straight and honestly, they worked very well with my hair... I recommend this product to anyone who has crazy curly hair like mine... Good Luck!!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools