Aveeno oatmeal shaving gel

Aveeno oatmeal shaving gel

4.5

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Ok. Public service announcement the Target Up & Up knockoff sold right next to this is just as good and quite a bit cheaper unless you catch the aveeno on sale. It's called soothing gel + soy shave cream

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Worst shaving cream ever. It's not the cheapest so a few times over the years I've purchased it thinking I'm doing something good but no....I always get icky shaving bumps and irritation when I've shaved with this even if it's a brand new razor. It's just a terrible product to me. I'm shocked by the good reviews here. This is garbage. I mentioned how bad it was too a friend and she instantly knew exactly what brand I was talking about and agreed it sucks as she had the same experience. Whish is the best shaving cream by far, EOS isn't bad either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I always thought all shaving creams/gels were the same and decided to just buy them based off the way they smelled. For a while, I was buying EOS shaving creams because I liked the packaging and the scents. I decided to try Aveeno for a change because I like their bath/body products, which result in less dry/itchy skin for my significant other and myself. Their bath products seem so much less irritating on my skin, and I don't even really have sensitive skin.

Anyway, I decided to try this shaving gel, and I think what makes this really a distinguished product is the fact that it is a gel. I can shave over a spot, and it doesn't completely remove the product from the leg, so it still leaves a layer of film/protection so that if I go over the same spot with my razor without reapplying the gel, it won't be irritating to my skin, and the razor won't skip or drag on my skin. I thought that was really awesome, and I like how even though it seemed to leave that layer of film on the skin after shaving, it is easily rinsed off with water. I like the way it smells, kind of like almonds and oatmeal. I can't vouch for it minimizing the frequency I have to shave since I haven't used it that long yet, but if it helps minimize hair growth, that would be amazing because I have such thick black hairs on my legs and armpits! Also, it really does leave my skin in better condition, and it helps me to achieve a closer shave than any other shave product I've used before, oddly enough. I always do the same thing - a hot bath/soak, exfoliate, then shave, but this is the only thing that's changed in my shaving routine and I'm convinced this is the key to a really close shave.

By the way, I like to leave the shave gel slathered on my legs and parts-to-be-shaved for a couple minutes before I shave instead of just slathering it on and shaving right away. I believe it helps to further soften the skin and hairs as well as moisturize the skin, since the product does have beneficial ingredients in it (like soy and oatmeal). My legs have never been smoother!

OMG! Seriously holy grail shaving gel. I use too think shaving gel or lotion wasn't necessary bc I would use shampoo or conditioner (I know, I know, crazy lol). Then my sister introduced me to EOS and I really liked it. So I started purchasing that one for a long time until I discovered this Aveeno one. Let me say I have not gotten razor bumps since I've been using this one. It leaves your skin super hydrated and soft. It has a light oatmeal scent which I don't love but I will forever continue using this shaving gel. Awesome product for someone who has sensitive skin. Oh and this might sound crazy but I swear since I've been using this gel I don't have to shave everyday like before. Call me crazy but try for yourself!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

great product. it doesnt irtitate my sensitive skin and gives a closer shave compared to other shave creams.

on 11/2/2013 11:29:00 AM

I am usually a Gillette guy but I decided to try this product and it is great. I have to shave everyday cause I am in the military so this is ideal for me. No razor bumps, no razor burns and no cuts or any irritation at all for me. Plus you won't sacrifice a close shave for comfort when using this product. You should also use the aveeno after shave cream after. Feels so good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I really love the consistency and smell of this product. It seems the lather beautifully and it's easy to coat my skin. However, I'm not really sure that it helps with razor bumps, or shaving right to the skin. It might be my razor but I've still been getting razor bumps. Also I like the rust free packaging because I had this problem with other shaving gels, they rust like crazy and then you have to throw them away. Although I really haven't had rusting problems with this one, when you dispense the gel, it shoots out, and then clogs the sprayhole. It doesn't matter when you're using it on your legs, but when you only want a little for your armpit, I feel like I'm wasting product. Still I recommend trying it !

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I used to use EOS shaving cream, which was pretty good, but decided to try Aveeno when I ran out. Boy, was it a good idea. I love the barrier it provides for my skin, & I haven't suffered from in-grown hairs or razor burn for months. I definitely will be buying this again... hope it never gets discontinued! *knock on wood

on 5/25/2010 7:41:00 PM

this product did absolutely nothing for me. i had high hopes based on the reviews and my overall liking for the Aveeno brand. i'm prone to in-grown hairs and i was looking for a product that would provide a nice glide for the razor. when it comes to shave creams...i prefer gels. they provide a thicker barrier and adhere to the leg. the Aveeno product is a foam and i feel it doesn't provide enough protection and barrier for the razor. I would have to use a TON to get a decent spread. also, the can will rust in the shower! my can rusted around the spout causing the cream to clog...and when some did come out, i wasn't really wanting to put rusty cream on my body. i dunno, i was highly disappointed...i've had better results with body wash. definitely not worth the $7+ i paid for it

on 4/3/2010 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is an essential for me. If I try shaving w/o it, or w/ a different brand my legs get super itchy. It's very odd because it never gets a rash or anything, just itches like crazy. As long as I use this I don't have that problem, and like the reviewer before me I find that I actually need to shave less when I use it.