The Body Shop Fake It Self-Tan Mousse for Body

4.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

i am OBSESSED with this product! i bought it in the lotion form during their after christmas sale. it was $3.25 (unbelieveable) and i figured i'd give it a try. i get VERY tan in summer and even though lotion self-tanners say it's for med to dark skin, it has never shown up.
well this one did and it is such a BELIEVABLE TAN NATURAL color on me. i am very hard to please and i love this! the smell is so faint. i went back and bought another 2 bottles. before i used this i wanted to go to the tanning salon cause i looked so pale. now i look great and don't have the skin cancer risk! so so so happy

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

So, this is only my initial review, after the first application. I will update, if the performance improves.
It is a color-less foam, with a faint smell to it, not necessarily unpleasant. I applied it at night, with The Body Shop's No-mess Mitt.
Application was easy, the foam glides and seems to cover well (there is no way to tell, since there is no color guide).
It was a little sticky for about 15-20 minutes after application, but then dried completely, and the smell intensified for a little while, then subsided.
These are the only pros so far, because unfortunatelly in the morning I didn't see any color what so ever. I still hope that if I reapply tonight, I will see some color in the morning, and if that happens, I will definitely edit my review.
For reference, I have light skin, and my HG right now is Clarins Intensive, which gives me the darkest tan in 2-3 hours.
EDIT - I used it 3 times more, 3 days in a row, and I succeeded in building up a very believable color, not dark, but you could say it looked like a tan.

One of the best sunless tanners i've used. The mousse is easy to apply, the color is pretty natural. It does smell a little funky after a while... but not any worse than most other sunless tanners.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of only two sunless tanning products I've used that looks remotely natural on me, as opposed to orange. I actually just applied some today to enhance and deepen my real tan. I'm not bothered by the smell, but when it comes to everything but actual fragrances, I'm usually not picky on scent - the smell disappears after a shower, anyway. I know some people say that sunless foams don't have the staying power that a lotion does, but just as Preppygirl stated, the heaviness of the lotion can be a problem for oily skin. In Canada, this stuff is $20.00 per bottle, so it's not cheap. But I feel that's a fair price to pay in my case since it does a good job.

I have used ALOT of self-tanners and this is by far my favorite. I break out really easily and this was recommended to me because it's a mouse/foam (and people with oily skin should avoid the creams because they are too heavy and clog pores). I also purchased the tanning mitt which I think is the key in getting a great natural looking tan. The color is great and the application is easy. The only thing I don't like (as with all other self-tanners) is the horrible smell after a few hours. Some smell way stronger then others, so this is one of the better ones. I put it on at night before I go to bed (let it dry completely and wear old PJ's) and in the morning I shower with a shower gel and the smell is gone.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I must start off saying that this is the very first self-tanner that I've ever used, so I don't really have anything to compare this too. But this stuff works!!! As a mousse, it foams on so easily, absorbs & dries very quickly, and is clear so you don't have to worry about discolouring your clothes. It imparts a slight colour the very first time you use it, and after using it just twice, there's a very noticeable, but subtle difference!!

I am very sensitive to fragrances, and this one can give me a headache :-( However, from reading reviews of other self-tanners, it seems that ALL self-tanners smell pretty funky... This one smells OK going on, but the drydown kind of makes me sick. But I guess that's par for the course!

I got this in Canada, and the sales rep told me that the US has different shades (e.g., light, medium, etc.)? I don't know if that's true, but there's only one kind here.

I'm not a huge fan of self-tanners, but if I do purchase again, it'll definitely be this one!