Coty Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Coty Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

3.4

Being a big SJP fan, I was excited to try this perfume out. It is very pretty and wearable with notes of mandarin orange, lavender, and woods. Not the most unique scent, but a great and reasonably priced one especially if you're an SJP fan!

on 9/25/2015 11:47:00 AM

EDIT: If you don't want to read everything below, in sum, if you dab SJP lovely (don't spray), the dry down is similar to NR musc oil for her (not similar to NR EdT or EdP). Both were inspired by Egyptian oil musk rollerballs (mine is kuumba brand from Whole Foods). If you cannot source Egyptian oil rollerball, I also suggest Demeter laudromat, but only in oil rollerball format which is substantially softer than the spray. The on,y reason SJP doesn't get a higher rating from me is a five minute problematic opening which is mitigated if you do as I do - dab sparingly on wrist and wait to smell.
-----

I read chandler burrs book about SJP and her creation of lovely in 2005. The notes as per base notes or Fragrantica: Nectarine, bergamot, rosewood, Lavander, cedar, apple martini, white daffodil (narcissus), orchid, Amber, wood, musk). I am never sure what to make of a note like apple martini - is it . Fresh, dry, sweet? Is the martini vodka or gin? If gin, is it Plymouth or Brokers (in which case, yes) or Hendricks (possibly not as the cucumber Pimm's cup aspect might compete. . . ) Like a base notes reviewer, I smelt LOTV, but I also smelt neroli which sometimes goes weirdly candied on me. Not so here. Lovely is a floral musk built on the structure of a fougere, but I don't get any sharp Lavander here. I think the Lavander is just enough to add structure and lift, much like oud, citrus or frankincense function in today's niche scents.

There is a problematic initial opening that fortunately subsides after about five minutes. LOVELY comes out initially harsh, like rubbing alcohol with a distinct smell of mothballs that is indole. Dont spray, as spray tends to amplify these objectionable qualities. Some reviewers below mention gasoline. I associate gasoline with SL tuberose Criminelle, Jovoy limited distribution Lys Epona, Or that rubbery feeling of Bulgari black, or plastic doll head feeling of lady vengeance or tocade or a green leathery men's scent like Aramis. I don't get gasoline here.

Lovely's immediate dry down is a nuttier (think bitter walnut, NOT sweet praline) version of my vintage narciso Rodriguez music for her oil, NOT NR EdP which is more peach rose. An hour into the dry down, with a dab of Lovely on my left forearm and a dab of NR musk for her oil, there is very little difference. Lovely is stronger and perhaps a little fresher. As per BoisetJasmine, NR oil is substantially more smooth musk than NR EdT which has sharper cedar, citrus and Amber. Boisetjasmin also describes NR oil as warm skin, apricot flesh and a bit of honey. I get this in the dry down of both Lovely and NR oil. In both, I get soft, slightly fruit forward musk on the feminine side, but not soapy or powdery or obtrusive.

In character, I somehow think of vintage Guerlain chant de aromes with an opening of mirabelle plum. Of course, these scents are not alike, but suddenly I understand why the ad campaign for lovely had SJP in a pink Oscar de la renta tea length cocktail dress. This gives the impression of gentle easy sensuality, not the carnal quality of MKK musk or even of khiel's musk rollerball. I have not sampled vintage Ambush recently (a 1960s fougere for women which is more powdery than Lovely), but I now wonder if it would be in line with Lovelys character.

Basically, if you like NR musc for her original release oil, then Lovely, based on its availability and low price, is definitely worth a try. If you tried it and hated it because of mothballs or gasoline, try again via dabbing, not spraying. Because of my whiff of mothball, I assume that this scent is extremely skin chemistry dependent AND application dependent. I strongly advise applying by dabber or rollerball and NOT spray and waiting briefly before dressing and going out to see if this works for your particular skin chemistry.

Other than the five minute mothball, Lovelys dry down is not at all cheap or old lady Unless one defines a modern scent solely by laundry; ozonic or marine notes; or sugar gourmand (in which case I would say you are referencing 1990s-2000, white linen to Eau de Issy to Davidoff cool water to angel and possibly ignoring current luxury department store niche, eg, Roja dove, returning to vintage inspiration,i.e., vintage Tabac Blond extrait, Shiseido Nombre Noire; vintage Guerlain Vol du Nuit extrait, Piguet Bandit, and even vintage EL azuree/ aliage, as well as mainstream niche like Serge Lutens update of vintage chypre and fougere with large doses of honey fruit, Amber, vanilla and powder, or Amouage type doses of oud and smoke. And, I would still recommend that you give lovely a try and wait for dry down.

A note on skin chemistry: certain perfumes work well on my skin that many others find horrifying, I.e., FM Une Fleur de Cassie and Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune ( I can wear Cassie bud and don't have an issue with sulfuric citrus like grapefruit). However, I do get a distinct urinous note with certain indoles, in Caron vintage Narcisse Noir, Schiaparelli Shocking, Piguet Baghari and have issues with some green leather, eg Piguet Bandit; moreover certain neroli turns my stomach (Tom ford Neroli Portifino) and some citrus turns lemon pledge furniture polish or overly candied on me, Goutals Eau de Hadrian and Guerlain Eau de Guerlain).

To Read all 536 Reviews, Login or Join

A part of me really wants to like this perfume. On paper the notes sound fantastic. With the exception of apple martini and cedar, every single note in this perfume is one that I love and have in other fragrances. In some ways it reminds me of my beloved discontinued Feminine by Dolce and Gabbana,. It definitely is similar to Narcisco Rodriguez, but at about one fifth the price. Yes, I really wish I liked this perfume...but I don't.

Sarah Jessica Parker said that she wanted her perfume to be subtle but instantly recognisable, and she succeeded. I often smell this on people and can instantly recognise it. The problem is, it leaves me cold. I think it must be the cedar. It's not a note I like. It makes the perfume smell cold, and to me, a fragrance with a musk base should never smell cold.

A really good creation, and way above most celebrity fragrances, but a definite no for me.

on 8/4/2015 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my everyday fragrance, it's subtle enough to wear it at work or when I have to be close to people and I don't want anybody to be offended by my fragrance, fragrances can be offensive for some people and can trigger headaches or allergies. My best friend who is in her 20's commented saying this is something her mother would wear, I'm in my 30's and I quite like it. What can I say, I like to smell like a women and not like a teenager. This smells nice and is not too sweet. I appreciate the amount of product that comes in it since I use it almost everyday 100ml instead of the usual 30-50ml fragrances.

on 5/10/2015 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Ok I have gone through an entire bottle of this and am on a second bottle. Let me state, this is not my favorite perfume. In fact, it reminds me of the Sure Spray Deodorant from the 1980s. That being said, it's not an unpleasant smell. It's strong on the first spray and maybe some would say overpowering. But it mellows to just a clean scent. It's a good everyday scent. Not too floral or sickening sweet, which is important because I work as a nurse in a hospital and don't want to trigger anyone's allergies or migraines. One small spray in the cleavage or back of the neck will be sufficient. I don't reach for this scent everyday but was surprised that I do use it as soften as I do. I have used it enough to purchase a second bottle, afterall.

on 5/6/2015 3:42:00 PM

LOVE this perfume. It smells beautiful. reminds me of when I started dating my fiancé cos I used to wear it a lot . I just love it

on 5/6/2015 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Like many others, i too feel Lovely smells somewhat similar to NR for Her EDT. Lovely is more subtle and suitable for everyday use while NR for Her EDT smells much stronger and has a sexy vibe to it, more suitable for dates or night out to the clubs. I choose Lovely because its much cheaper compared to NR and i need something for daily use, not too overwhelming but yet feminine. In fact, this was the only perfume bottle i own that I used till the last drop, And i love how the bottle looks. Simple and feminine.

But I have to admit, the 1st spray can somewhat be nauseating, like cheap perfume but its the drydown (about 10mins later) that lingers smells like NR. But if you have more moolah, I'd say go for NR. Just a little spray from NR is much more long-lasting than Lovely anyway.

Ewww! I'm sorry. Maybe I'm too young, too immature, or not refined enough but this crap smells like grandmas moth-ball eaten abandoned hall closet that no one has stepped foot in in thirty years. Yuck.
It SMELLS cheap, besides being actually cheap.

Cute bottle though

on 9/23/2014 2:52:00 PM

Aren't we all just a little sick of smelling like a grocery store? I never could understand all the fruit and vegetable scents and then they came out with vanilla cookie, pumpkin pie, gingerbread...I've gained five pounds just smelling perfumes!

Lovely, on the other hand, is aptly named. It's a beautiful, feminine scent designed for the female that desires an aura of sophistication and beauty. And you won't be mistaken for a fruit salad!

on 4/17/2014 9:24:00 PM

Something about this smells very reminiscent of an antique store. Musty, wet, and like it's been sitting around for a while. Not the perfume for me.

Popular Fragrances