Estée Lauder Beautiful

Estée Lauder Beautiful
BeautifulBeautiful

3.4

on 12/15/2017 12:53:00 PM

Ahhh, Beautiful. It's a "mom smell" for sure-- mature, womanly, comforting, complex-- but that doesn't mean it's without sex appeal! There's a reason this continues to sell briskly. It's distinctive as hell, and very pretty. Beautiful is one of those rare fragrances where I prefer the modern reformulation-- for the simple reason that the Beautiful of the '80s was sooooo strong even one spray was too much... it also had a "sour"/nail-polish-y tinge common to vintage chypres. I can apply 3-4 sprays of current formulation and it settles nicely into a detectable, but not overwhelming cloud of loveliness. The mossy sandalwood base is still there, but the rich deep florals emerge more clearly. This is a comfortable fragrance for daily wear, but special enough for date night. It screams "classic."

I honestly can't pick apart the notes in this one, even though my nose is well-trained. It has been referred to as a rosy marigold/ylang-ylang scent, but the florals are so blended that all I pick up is the "Beautiful accord." I would say if you like gourmand celebu-scents or body sprays, you'll hate this one and yell "Old Lady!!" However, if you enjoy experiencing the layers of an old-skool, rich floral chypre (that is still impeccably clean), snap this up pronto. Fragrances with the same "feel" as Beautiful include: Giorgio Beverly Hills, Jontue, Red Door, YSL Paris, Pavlova by Payot, Clinique Aromatics (very different top/mid notes, but similar woodsy base), Ysatis, Amarige.

on 4/30/2017 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Just got a new version of Beautiful. I must say it is not the same formula as I had before. It still smells good but to me it is not as good, nor does it last as long. I gave it 5 lippies anyway because it does still smell awesome for a floral and it is E.L. I will edit my review if my like lessens but for now, I am enjoying it with the Spring Season. I would buy again and I have ;-).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has been my signature scent for 20 years .....but alas it's suddenly making me gag....I think one just gets burnt out on a fragrance over decades time.....it's still a beautiful fragrance I'm just sick of it.

on 11/4/2016 12:21:00 PM

What a wonderful fragrance Estee Lauder Beautiful still is! A masterpiece of florals, adequate to use any time, any place, whether at work or on any social occasion. Of course fragrance regulations and unavoidable reformulations have somehow changed its smell from what it used to be in the ‘90s, but it is still unmistakeably Beautiful and it is still gorgeous!

on 2/29/2016 5:28:00 AM

Our noses and tastes must change over time. I smelled this on a couple other people way back in the 80's and thought it was possibly my HG. The fact that I couldn't afford it added to the allure. Fast forward a few years and I was able to buy a bottle. What a wasted of my hard earned money! I generally like stronger perfumes but I don't think its possible to use little enough of this. Way too intense floral, flowers on steroids. Interesting how there are only a couple hundred reviews here, which tells me this did not stand the test of time, unlike some other scents from the 80's.

on 12/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

To sweet sweet sweet. Not beautiful at all. Strong stays with you all day 80s kind of stink.

on 11/14/2015 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this bottle without smelling it because I'd heard that it's great for year round. I am not a fan of this fragrance. It reminds me of a spring garden that's been sprayed with bug spray. I'm passing this along to my mother and I hope it works better with her chemistry. Will not repurchase.

on 4/30/2015 6:31:00 PM

I've had my supply of Beautiful for a few years now. Initially I wouldn't touch it because there was a not that came off as "old lady" to me. My nose has since been extensively educates, & I can actually pick out individual fragrance notes much more easily with actually knowing what they are. The note that I don't care for is the amber. Matter of factly, I don't really care for commercial amber notes in general. I prefer amber notes in fragrances made by niche perfume houses such as Love Potion Perfume. Even though the formula for Beautiful comes off a bit dated, it's still lovely when the amber calms down. The scent has excellent sillage & you do get a good value for your money. 1 spray of of this is plenty & the bottle I won is 3.4 oz, which is why I said I wouldn't buy this again, I already have a lifetime supply!

on 10/3/2014 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: I am revisiting my vintage miniature of the EdP. A dab is still a powerhouse. On my skin chemistry, it now evokes a scent memory of Chamade with galbanum, hyacinth and spicy carnation that morphs into Jasmine, tuberose and wood. Added a lippie, but only for vintage, not current reformulation.

--------

I have two miniatures: a molded flat glass flask with a white rose plastic stopper ( bottle picture is similar to the photo on the Fragrantica site and ingredients are SD Alcohol 39C, Beautiful perfume, purified water); and, a later miniature rectangular flask. The older glass bottle with stopper contains fragrance that is less harsh. This is a classic 1980s floral that has sillage and projects. Dab sparingly, don't spray. My recollection is Beautiful includes accords of rose, mandarin, LOTV, tuberose, jasmine, ylang, marigold, and many other florals, frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, vetiver.

For the imminently reasonable price and availability on line, it satisfies the rare occasion when I want a soft, well blended aldehydic floral wood that is not too green or animalic, like Amouage Gold (more lush, but exponentially more expensive), vintage Chant d'Aromes extrait (more warm soft green tone), or vintage Chanel 5 EdC or the more sparkling Chanel 22 (I find chanel 5 aldehydes are sharp and the animalic quality sometimes gets in the way when I want a mixed floral, but I am not a fan of Chanel 5 in general).

on 9/27/2014 8:13:00 PM

Twenty years ago, I would have told you "there was nothing as beautiful as Beautiful!"....Recently I decided to give it another try- and could almost not stand the smell. I can't wondered if my bottle had gone rancid.
Yet a student complimented that I smelled so good...
Then while at the mall, I smelled the sample- exactly the same as my old bottle...
So I think my nose is outta whack!
I would not buy this because to me it smells unpleasant now- but I think I will wear ole bottle now and then.

Popular Fragrances