Estee Lauder Beautiful

BeautifulBeautiful

3.4

on 4/30/2017 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Just got a new version of Beautiful. I must say it is not the same formula as I had before. It still smells good but to me it is not as good, nor does it last as long. I gave it 5 lippies anyway because it does still smell awesome for a floral and it is E.L. I will edit my review if my like lessens but for now, I am enjoying it with the Spring Season. I would buy again and I have ;-).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has been my signature scent for 20 years .....but alas it's suddenly making me gag....I think one just gets burnt out on a fragrance over decades time.....it's still a beautiful fragrance I'm just sick of it.

A grand, ballsy floral chypre with an unmistakable signature. Although this fragrance was everywhere in the '80s, it didn't fit my teen aesthetic at the time. I associated Beautiful with mainstream career women, in their jewel-toned herringbone power suits, Anne Klein doorknocker earrings, and pouffy hairstyles. I mean, even the packaging-- heavy, fluted-gold purse atomizers-- just said "mature."

But, now that I am "mature," at least in age, I find that I really like Beautiful, though I don't instinctively gravitate toward it. I've gotten two mini bottles off eBay, dating from the '80s and '90s. [They are easy to find and pretty cheap, BTW.] The current formulation, I've found, smells muted and confused-- clearly, the lack of available oakmoss has hurt this perfume right in the jugular.

The vintage juice is intricately composed and has a lot going on; there is the initial acetone-like sting common to strong chypres, but it passes soon enough, leaving a warm, deep trail of fully blossomed flowers. I can sense the marigold, but otherwise the bouquet is so complex that it is simply the "Beautiful signature," rather than a bunch of flowers you can pick out. At the end you get a wallop of oakmoss, lending a rich, earthy feel to the fragrance. This is indeed a beautiful scent if dabbed judiciously. Its sillage is quite delicious, in the heady way only vintage perfumes can be. Beautiful is never dirty or indolic, but it is deep and rich. Not for kids.

on 2/29/2016 5:28:00 AM

Our noses and tastes must change over time. I smelled this on a couple other people way back in the 80's and thought it was possibly my HG. The fact that I couldn't afford it added to the allure. Fast forward a few years and I was able to buy a bottle. What a wasted of my hard earned money! I generally like stronger perfumes but I don't think its possible to use little enough of this. Way too intense floral, flowers on steroids. Interesting how there are only a couple hundred reviews here, which tells me this did not stand the test of time, unlike some other scents from the 80's.

on 12/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

To sweet sweet sweet. Not beautiful at all. Strong stays with you all day 80s kind of stink.

on 11/4/2016 12:21:00 PM

What a wonderful fragrance Estee Lauder Beautiful still is! A masterpiece of florals, adequate to use any time, any place, whether at work or on any social occasion. Of course fragrance regulations and unavoidable reformulations have somehow changed its smell from what it used to be in the ‘90s, but it is still unmistakeably Beautiful and it is still gorgeous!

on 9/27/2014 8:13:00 PM

Twenty years ago, I would have told you "there was nothing as beautiful as Beautiful!"....Recently I decided to give it another try- and could almost not stand the smell. I can't wondered if my bottle had gone rancid.
Yet a student complimented that I smelled so good...
Then while at the mall, I smelled the sample- exactly the same as my old bottle...
So I think my nose is outta whack!
I would not buy this because to me it smells unpleasant now- but I think I will wear ole bottle now and then.

on 4/30/2015 6:31:00 PM

I've had my supply of Beautiful for a few years now. Initially I wouldn't touch it because there was a not that came off as "old lady" to me. My nose has since been extensively educates, & I can actually pick out individual fragrance notes much more easily with actually knowing what they are. The note that I don't care for is the amber. Matter of factly, I don't really care for commercial amber notes in general. I prefer amber notes in fragrances made by niche perfume houses such as Love Potion Perfume. Even though the formula for Beautiful comes off a bit dated, it's still lovely when the amber calms down. The scent has excellent sillage & you do get a good value for your money. 1 spray of of this is plenty & the bottle I won is 3.4 oz, which is why I said I wouldn't buy this again, I already have a lifetime supply!

on 10/3/2014 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: I am revisiting my vintage miniature of the EdP. A dab is still a powerhouse. On my skin chemistry, it now evokes a scent memory of Chamade with galbanum, hyacinth and spicy carnation that morphs into Jasmine, tuberose and wood. Added a lippie, but only for vintage, not current reformulation.

--------

I have two miniatures: a molded flat glass flask with a white rose plastic stopper ( bottle picture is similar to the photo on the Fragrantica site and ingredients are SD Alcohol 39C, Beautiful perfume, purified water); and, a later miniature rectangular flask. The older glass bottle with stopper contains fragrance that is less harsh. This is a classic 1980s floral that has sillage and projects. Dab sparingly, don't spray. My recollection is Beautiful includes accords of rose, mandarin, LOTV, tuberose, jasmine, ylang, marigold, and many other florals, frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, vetiver.

For the imminently reasonable price and availability on line, it satisfies the rare occasion when I want a soft, well blended aldehydic floral wood that is not too green or animalic, like Amouage Gold (more lush, but exponentially more expensive), vintage Chant d'Aromes extrait (more warm soft green tone), or vintage Chanel 5 EdC or the more sparkling Chanel 22 (I find chanel 5 aldehydes are sharp and the animalic quality sometimes gets in the way when I want a mixed floral, but I am not a fan of Chanel 5 in general).

on 11/14/2015 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this bottle without smelling it because I'd heard that it's great for year round. I am not a fan of this fragrance. It reminds me of a spring garden that's been sprayed with bug spray. I'm passing this along to my mother and I hope it works better with her chemistry. Will not repurchase.

Popular Fragrances