Rimmel Lasting Finish - Drop of Sherry

Rimmel Lasting Finish - Drop of Sherry

4.4

on 10/19/2012 12:52:00 AM

This is the only color that I never get sick of --- a go-to color for all seasons that makes me neglect almost all other lipsticks in my collection --- and with good reason. If there's such a thing as a lip color that can be all things to all people, this comes really, really close. It goes with anything and is appropriate for all occasions.

The first time I applied this shade it was so different from what I was used to seeing --- at that time Avon's Ultra Color Rich "Cozy Mauve" --- that I didn't know what to make of it. But it didn't take long before I realized that what was "different" is that it offered everything those other lip colors never quite become: it's reddish, coral, rosy, pink and mauve all wrapped up into one. It has a faint coppery sheen to it, without any chunks of glitter. As amazing as the color itself, is the feel. Rimmel's Lasting Finish line, particularly the pearl/satin shades, offers an ultra silky, soothing-as-lip-balm feel with the lasting power that most lipsticks that feel moisturizing fail to deliver.

My only concern with "Drop of Sherry" is that the color is no longer offered in any drugstore, Target or Walmart that carries the Rimmel line in my area as of this date. The Rimmel lipstick line is presently heavy on the "Moisture Renew" formula in the bulky, square purple tubes. Those don't offer much more moisture than the original "Lasting Finish" formula yet slip off all that faster (in my experience the faster a lipstick slips off the more drying it actually tends to be no matter how they initially feel). Anyhow, the one color I tried in Rimmel's Moisture Renew line, "Latino", didn't look anything like it did in the tube when I applied it --- it went on much paler with a frosty white sheen --- which makes me wonder why Rimmel is encroaching on the higher-quality "Lasting Finish" product line that was already about as close to perfection as a drugstore cosmetic line can get.

There are only about five lip colors that I've been hugely disappointed to see discontinued from Revlon and others over the years and this, Rimmel's "Drop of Sherry" (#58), is in my top three. If you, too, are a fan, let Rimmel and your favorite retail store managers know that you want to see this shade back on the shelf!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

strange crazy good kind of colour, and VERY hard to describe. Definitely an "English Rose" kind of look. Let's call it a rose, but one that is deep enough to be classed with the berry tones, yet warm enough that I can wear it. I'm around a NC20 or warm toned pale skinned redhead.

This is almost cool toned on me. At first I was going to return it. It seemed to have a true fuschia pink cast to it, and the shimmer is silvery.

BUT

then after 20 minutes it was looking like a lovely rose shade, and like nothing else I own. It warmed up enough that it looked really good on me. My lips didn't stand out like they would if I wore a blue red or a blue pink. They looked natural only better.

But it isn't exactly a MLBB colour. It's not a nude, and I wouldn't put it with the brown toned pinks but it's extremely wearable.

And comfortable on the lips. Mine are dry and flaky, so the fact that this feels moisturizing is another plus.

Leaves a nice stain as it wears off. Wear time is medium, average, neither long (in spite of the name) or short.

It's going in my permanent collection.

I hate ugly lipstick tubes, and this is ugly, but the lipstick itself is worth putting up with the packaging.

UPDATED to add: I tried the Kate lipstick line from Rimmel, and they gave me a rash, but this one never has.

I hope they keep the old formulation going here, the formula and the colour are terrific.

This remains a go to lipstick when I want a warm rosy berry toned red that suits my warm but pale redhead style skin. It and Nectarine by Estee Lauder are reds that look red but never shocking on my face. Kind of a quiet red.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

One of my most favorite lipsticks, ever. The color is perfect on me, seems like a great medium complected neutral "my lips but better" color (for me, who is a olive NC 30/C3) that goes with everything I wear, and my coloring. A no-brainer type lipstick for those of us medium toned and more on the olive-yellow side. I'd say it's a medium neutral coral rose color with a hint of bronze in it, shimmer formula. It stays on well during the day too, and doesn't dry out my lips. I don't even think the tube cost me $7 and it's lasted me over a year. I bought this last year in Boston on vacation, and it's still around. Love. I hope they always have this color.

A beautiful shiny rosey pink. You can wear this all day and it keeps your lips moisturized! This shade is so flattering to my complexion I can wear this on days when I'm wearing no other mu. So glad I bought this:)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am so glad I purchased this! I love this color so much! It is super pretty and shimmery. This color is great to wear with natural eyes!

I adore this lipstick! It is a beautiful deep pinky-red colour with some goldeny shimmers that can be applied heavily for an intense bright look or lightly dotted on for a natural look!

I have very pigmented lips, and this lipstick is basically just a slightly intensified version of them, so it looks super natural but bright on me! I love lightly applying this and then applying a coat of clear shimmery lipgloss! It looks cute and sexy, and really awesome!

I wear this practically every day (this with a lipgloss, or just the gloss) and it makes my lips look juicy and vibrant! And it is finally a nice pinky colour that works for warm skintones/yellow undertones! Also, the formula is moisturizing, creamy, and down right perfection! Go buy it!!!

Yay! Perfect Lipstick!

Purchased this on a whim on sale for $4.00 and I definitely have received my moneys worth. I have been wearing it 3 to 4 times a week for the last month and I always get compliments on this lipstick. The formula is very smooth and soft on my lips and wears particularly well throughout the day, plus as it wears off it leaves a slight tint to the lips that looks pretty. The colour shows up on me as a slightly warm medium rosy pink with soft shimmer and reddish undertones. Looks fantastic paired with soft neutral eyes and pink blush. Would definitely repurchase this shade again.

on 4/19/2010 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this is a gorgeous color to make your lips take center stage without being overtly dramatic (such as the infamous red lipstick!) this shade is a bright (not shocking bright) deep pink with a hint red with fine shimmer that isn't noticable. It's a very flirty, "come-hither" shade that when used with lightly flushed rosy cheeks, some eye liner and long lush lashes, makes you look sexy sweet but approachable.The formula is moisturizing and keeps my lips soft and the colour endurance is impressive.It does fade greatly with meals, but it leaves a pretty soft pink shade to lips at the end.

on 2/15/2010 10:48:00 PM

This is my signature lip color. It's a beautiful coral-reddish-pink that looks amazing on my warm skin tone. I haven't been able to find any other shade that comes as close to this one. I've been wearing this shade for four years now and will continue to wear it!

on 1/12/2010 11:37:00 PM

This is my go to red lipstick because for me, it is the most wearable. I actually where this to work. I always forget to wear this, but it is so lovely. Rimmel makes some of my favorite d/s lipsticks. This is def worth checking out if you are in the market for a more wearable red.

Popular Lipsticks