Rimmel Lasting Finish - Drop of Sherry

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 10/19/2012 12:52:00 AM

This is the only color that I never get sick of --- a go-to color for all seasons that makes me neglect almost all other lipsticks in my collection --- and with good reason. If there's such a thing as a lip color that can be all things to all people, this comes really, really close. It goes with anything and is appropriate for all occasions.

The first time I applied this shade it was so different from what I was used to seeing --- at that time Avon's Ultra Color Rich "Cozy Mauve" --- that I didn't know what to make of it. But it didn't take long before I realized that what was "different" is that it offered everything those other lip colors never quite become: it's reddish, coral, rosy, pink and mauve all wrapped up into one. It has a faint coppery sheen to it, without any chunks of glitter. As amazing as the color itself, is the feel. Rimmel's Lasting Finish line, particularly the pearl/satin shades, offers an ultra silky, soothing-as-lip-balm feel with the lasting power that most lipsticks that feel moisturizing fail to deliver.

My only concern with "Drop of Sherry" is that the color is no longer offered in any drugstore, Target or Walmart that carries the Rimmel line in my area as of this date. The Rimmel lipstick line is presently heavy on the "Moisture Renew" formula in the bulky, square purple tubes. Those don't offer much more moisture than the original "Lasting Finish" formula yet slip off all that faster (in my experience the faster a lipstick slips off the more drying it actually tends to be no matter how they initially feel). Anyhow, the one color I tried in Rimmel's Moisture Renew line, "Latino", didn't look anything like it did in the tube when I applied it --- it went on much paler with a frosty white sheen --- which makes me wonder why Rimmel is encroaching on the higher-quality "Lasting Finish" product line that was already about as close to perfection as a drugstore cosmetic line can get.

There are only about five lip colors that I've been hugely disappointed to see discontinued from Revlon and others over the years and this, Rimmel's "Drop of Sherry" (#58), is in my top three. If you, too, are a fan, let Rimmel and your favorite retail store managers know that you want to see this shade back on the shelf!

on 6/10/2011 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Walgreens had a huge sale on Rimmel and I had a coupon stash so I loaded up on their products. It's a good thing I got stuff so cheaply because most of it (besides one lipstick and the mascara) didn't work for me.

This color looked so pretty in the package, but it made me look like a hooker when I wore it during the day. It almost had a clown color to it. It had poor lasting quality and it gave my lips a dry flakiness over the course of the day. This might be pretty if your coloring is different or maybe if I had been wearing something special to showcase this color.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Seems like Rimmel reformulates every 6 months or so. I like the current incarnation of their lipsticks the best-- cute case with the little crown embossed on top, and the best array of colors to date (i.e., many dramatic, unique, and duochrome shades). Drop of Sherry is a shade they've always carried, but I'd never tried until now.

Love it, love it, love it! It's a pearlized, mid-tone warm pink that's great for very warm-toned folks like me who look dead in most frosty pinks. This one has enough pigment to brighten rather than wash out my complexion. I love the idea of pearly seashell pink lipstick, but haven't been able to wear most shades because they're too pale or cool. This one manages to still look pink (not salmon or coral) and be flattering! Yay! Oh-- and the formula smells like coconut fruit punch or something, not bad but a bit strong. Lasting power and moisturization are super.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Nice neutral midtone color. A cross between a pink, red, with a peach blend. I like it. Wears nice. Looks good on PPP skin. I couple it with either Lord & Berry Blush lip liner or MAC Quartz. I apply Chanel Blzzard lip gloss over it or a mid-tone pink MAC lusterglass over it when I miss it with the Quartz liner.

The line needs more of a color selection. The lipstick is very good and less than $5. Definitely worth trying and if you don't like it, return it for a refund.

The Rimmel gloss is fabulous. My purchase will be one of their blushes.

on 6/21/2005 1:45:00 PM

I got hooked on Rimmel's lipstick a few years ago when they hit the U.S. market, but alas they changed some of the shades & formulas since then. I loved the Rich Moisture formula, so of course it was discontinued. However, when they re-formulated the Lasting Finish, I swear they used the Rich Moisture formula! Unlike the old Lasting Finish, it has a lot of slip & is very smooth & moist yet it lasts a good while. They kept a few old favorites like Fudge Brownie & this one. Drop of Sherry is slightly warm, a medium rosy shimmer that would flatter anyone. For less than $5, it beats just about anything in the department store.