TheBalm Stainiac

4.2

Water, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol. May Contain / Peut Contenir [ /- : Red 33 (Ci 17200), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Green 3 (Ci 42053), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Yellow 6 (Ci 15985), Red 22 (Ci 45380), Red 27 (Ci 45410), Yellow 10 (Ci 47005), Green 5 (Ci 61570)]

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really thought I would love this stain, but it was a bit of a disappointment. I really like the gel type formula because it reduces the probability of a mistake, but it doesn’t really deliver any color pay off, at least on my lips. It doesn’t even work for a no makeup look, you can barely tell if I have anything on. Even if it is very liquidy, I prefer TonyMoly Delight Tony Tint.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This has a wonderful texture, it's incredibly long-wearing, and the color is super pretty...but it's definitely cool-toned "pink". On my skin, BeneTint is more "red" (without any purple tones). Stainiac is quite similar to Tint&Sass in shade, but it's not nearly as pigmented. Stainiac doesn't really enhance my lip color - sometimes it seems to make my lips look pale. I find true "red" very flattering, but pink can make me look washed out. Stainiac's pink is vivid enough leave a flush, it's just too blue-toned for my liking. This would be a favorite if it came in red.

To Read all 86 Reviews, Login or Join

I use this product in the Beauty Queen color and I consider this a "must have" item that I buy over and over again when I run out. I am very fair with very pale lips so I like to put a stain on my lips and cheeks. That way if the lipstick or blush fades off during the course of the day, the stain is still on as a color base and I don't look like the walking dead. On me this goes on a really pretty, natural flushed pink color and stays on really well. It is the exact flushed color I would want my lips and cheeks to be when I wake up in the morning. In comparison with other products, Benetint went on much redder and more artificial and looked very streaky - maybe it is too dark for how fair I am. if you don't do a good job exfoliating lips, Benetint is a nightmare, and also ends up on your teeth. Posie Tint by Benefit goes on a brighter but lighter, more artificial "bubble gum" pink and streaks if I don't blend it immediately. ChaCha tint is a lot more peachy but does ok if you have a tan. The Tarte cheek stains don't show up well, even in the deeper shades and tend to fade out on me, almost as if my skin absorbs them. So Stainiac has become my go to stain. I get a lot of subscription boxes so I don't purchase a lot of other makeup (I almost never have to buy mascara, primer, or eye liner thanks to make up subs), but Stainiac is a product I make an exception for. This product gets an A+++++ in my book!

I love Staniac! This color is great. I have medium to fair skin and my friends, who have fair skin, use this and it looks good on them as well. So I would say great for all skin types. The trick to getting it to last is putting it on and letting it dry 1-2 minutes. Then I use a clear lipgloss or chapstick over it to make my lips not feel as dry. This will last me half a day at least if not longer. You have to let it dry on your lips completely though before applying a chapstick and I recommend a chapstick because it does make your lips feel dry. But I still buy this and recommend. I have never tried it on my cheeks.

It sucks as a lipstain. I have pigmented lips, so the colour does not show up that much. It becomes patchy and only stains my lower lips. Worse, this thing freaking stings and drying as hell. But its great on the cheeks, though.... Oh yeah,btw, how on earth did you apply this stain? Its all patchy on me, even after i exfoliate, moisturise my lips and layer the stain, it still patches... I hate it :(

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

This was so cheaply made and normally I'm a big fan of The Balm products. It left hardly any stain and didn't even stay that long! Fail

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I LOVE this color. It took me a while to find a red that works my skintone (olive) and it's too thick. This is a gel product so when you apply to clean, dry lips, will quickly dry and you will matte, long lasting red lips. I can't do red lipstock/gloss because I drink so much water throughout the day that it would rub off but this is great. It adheres to your lips and it's not an intimidating shade of red. I usually top it off with some lip balm and I'm good to go. TheBalm also recommends using on your cheeks for a hint of color; haven't done that

I got a mini sample of this with my Birchbox and and I can say is, "Wow!" This gives my lips the perfect just bitten look. It is a very natural flush of color and lasts for quite a while before I need to apply again. This is not moisturizing, so if you are looking for color plus moisturization, I suggest layering this product under lip balm. I will absolutely purchase the full-sized product when I run out of this!

I have Stainiac in both Prom Queen and Beauty Queen. I've been using them for several years and have repurchased Beauty Queen in particular a number of times, and they are by far my favorite lip stains I've tried (this includes Stila, Palladio, Vincent Longo, and probably a number of other ones I can't think of right now).
For one thing, the packaging is much better than a lot of packaging of other stains I've tried. I find the tip on the popular marker format tends to dry out fast even when the cap is firmly on, which makes it unusable. Roller balls tend to dispense too much product at once and give you less control when you apply them. Stainiac comes in a tube with a sponge, and this is really ideal for application.
Prom Queen is a sort of peachy pink. It's very natural looking and great for daytime when you just want to punch up your natural lip color a bit. Beauty Queen is a very flattering berry shade, and I really like it for night or day. Both shades are buildable.
Another plus is that you can use them as blush. Beauty Queen in particular I have used many times as blush, and it works great. It does dry fast on your cheeks, so you have to blend it in quickly to avoid stripes or blotches. Once when I was packing for a long trip, I didn't want to take a blush brush and risk having it crushed in my bag, so I brought Beauty Queen and used it as my sole blush. It was extremely convenient to just have one product for lips and cheeks. It's handy to keep a second one of these in your purse for when you want a lip and cheek touch up.
Probably the biggest con of these is that they can be a bit drying, so you will most likely want to put on a bit of lip balm after applying them.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a nice stain that looks very pretty and a lot like a natural flush. It doesn't set immediately so you don't have that crappy streak that happens with stains. I have this in beauty Queen, it's a nice berry color.

I wouldn't get this again though for this price, $17. I didn't think the stain was as long-wearing as it should be with this price. It lasted for about 4 hours before coming off.

Popular Lips Products