Caron Classic Formula loose powder

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Caron Classic Formula loose powder

Formule : Talc, Magnesium carbonate, Magnesium myristate, Zinc stearate, Isopropyl palmitate, Fragance (parfum), Benzyl alcohol, Citral, Citronellol, Eugenol, Everinia prunastri (oakmoss) extract, Genariol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Limonene, Imidazolidinylurea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ultramarines (CI 77007), Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492).

on 6/27/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a review for the transparent powder. Like another reviewer stated, Caron has two formulations: the classic one, which is for combination/oily skin, and transparent, which is for normal/dry/sensitive skin. I got it in "Translucide" which is the most popular shade in the transparent line. It looks alarmingly pink (I have very strong yellow undertones in my skin), but looks gorgeously natural.

I've been lemming this ever since I read about it here on MUA, but unfortunately Diane from the Caron boutique in NYC warned against shipping to Canada because of the high customs fees. Luckily, my sister was in Paris recently and was kind enough to go out of her way to pick me up some of this powder. It came to about $60 CDN(45 euro). I gave this product 3 lippies for price-while the initial cost is high, it is a whopping 30g!! MAC powders are only 8-10g and cost close to $30...so the Caron powder works out to only about 2/3 of the price of MAC, for a significantly better product!

The packaging is beautiful-the powder is housed in a gold colored container with a pop off lid. Inside that is a screw off lid, which means it's great for travel! There is no built in sifter. Instead, Caron includes a separate one. How I use it is I dab a powder brush in the powder, then run it across the separate sifter, allowing any extra powder to fall back into the container. This gives me the perfect amount of product to gently brush across my face. The powder puff included is useless for me.

I liked the vintage feel of the scent, but be warned, it is quite strong. I took the lid off and left it open for a few weeks, covered with a piece of tissue paper. The smell is now lovely, and much more subtle.

This hasn't irritated or broken me out at all. It is dermatologist recommended in France, and gives me a beautiful, soft, velvety finish over my makeup. It looks natural and wears for hours. I used to blot about 5-6 hours into my day, but I can now skip that. Rebuy forever for me!

Ingredients (paraben free, yay!!): talc, magnesium carbonate, magnesium myristate, zinc stearate, diisopropyl sebacate, fragrance, iron oxides, ultramarines, alumina, citronellol, geraniol, linalool, hydroxycitronellal, eugenol, cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, citral evernia prunastri (oakmoss) extract

This is a wonderful product that every woman should have on her boudoir. Caron powders have been around for years and have made countless women look and feel glamorous. With this in mind, I knew I had to try it. Fortunately enough, I live close to the Caron Boutique in NYC, and I was able to test all these beautiful powders for myself. It is truly a hidden gem, tucked neatly away in the Phyto Universe salon on Lexington Avenue.

The 'Classique' formula powders are geared towards those that are normal or combination/oily, while the 'Transparente' powders are geared towards those that are normal/dry. The Classique powders are matte, have more coverage and feel denser, while the Trasnsparente ones are lighter, fluffier, and have subtle microfine shimmer particles, not detectable on the face, but enough to give a glow. I was told that the correct way to apply the Classique powder was to press the powder onto the face with a puff, and then knock off the excess with a kabuki brush. By itself, the product will give light-medium coverage, similar to that of a mineral foundation. Since I have quite a bit of discoloration and like a completely flawless finish, I do prefer to dust this lightly on top of my MUFE Mat Velvet + foundation, and this combo is particularly exceptional at controlling oil on my combination/oily skin. This contains ingredients such as magnesium carbonate and kaolin for extra absorbency on oily skin. Since this product was created before the invention of silicones, it does not have any in its ingredients.

The color I own is in 'Madame', which is a fair beige pinky color, suitable for MAC NC/NW 15. It is also quite fragranced, with the scent of Bulgarian rose which I find very pleasant. All in all, I highly recommend this to anyone that loves to finish off her look with a matte, finely-milled loose powder to give a soft-focus look.

on 3/10/2011 2:12:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Firstly, I'd like to thank Sicely24 for her very helpful review on this product. I based my own purchase on her extensive colour reference list, since there are no Caron counters here in Canada. I have the loose powder in Peau Ambree, and it is the perfect colour for my MAC NC30-35, Nars Sante Fe, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Medium Dark complexion. I don't mind the scent, and it disappears after a while anyway.

One warning -- it is easy to overapply this powder, but a heavy hand is easy to fix, because the powder is so finely milled. Because the powder is so fine, it's hard to look cakey, provided that your face is moisturized properly before application. No other loose powder makes my complexion look so smooth and radiant, as if I wasn't wearing anything at all. I use this as a setting powder over tinted moisturizer / sunblock, or alone, without oxidation of any kind. I bought mine on ebay for a reasonable price, and you get alot of product, so this will last me a while. A real luxury and highly recommended.

on 10/28/2007 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Wow! I purchased this powder in Madame based on raves from many ladies on the boards. I am so glad I did! I have very pale, very oily skin. This powder applies like a dream and keeps the oilies at bay for hours. I do have to blot once during the day, but that is an improvement over any other foundation I've tried. The texture, scent and packaging are so luxurious. The Classic powder makes my skin look flawless, which it is far from! The color Madame is a perfect match for me. I am a MAC NW10-15 and Bobbi Brown Porcelain.

Not only is the powder amazing, so is the customer service. Diane was such a great help with choosing the right shade. She included lots of samples with my order so I didn't have to open the full size to see if the color worked for me. they will do exchanges (not sure about returns) on unopened powders. She also included samples of the primer and 3 perfumes.

This stuff takes some effort to get your hands on, but is worth the work and the price. I can't wait to try Caron's other products.