Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Light Blue

3.8

on 1/8/2017 5:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got the set for Christmas with the large bottle, rollerball and lotion. Love love love the scent. Smells so clean- rollerball scent lasts longer than the spray and I love how I can throw it in my purse and use it for a quick touch up.

Gives me a headache.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This has been my #1 fragrance for 6 years now.

Let me give you a little background on my fragrance choices: I truly enjoy some fragrance, but many of them give me a headache. The musky, powdery notes with rose & other highly floral notes just aren't for me. Light Blue is NOT one of those. LB is fresh and clean smelling, with notes of Apple and lemon and cedar.

It smells like pure sunshine to me....I hope I always love it this much!

on 1/31/2015 11:02:00 PM

I am not a big fan of light blue, simply because it smells very synthetic to me. I do not really enjoy the scent because of the unnatural undertones- this simply does not evoke any real scents or sensations. I would not repurchase this scent.

on 1/14/2015 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really nice summery fragrance, smells quite orangey, fresh and light so it's good for daytime use and it's not too expensive either.
Packaging is lovely, the bottle is oblong sort of frosted glass with a silver top/spray and a light blue lid, the box it comes in is also light blue and has a velvety texture.

It's is my probably my third favourite perfume, so I only keep buying it because it has sentimental value (I was wearing it when I met my husband and now the smell reminds him of me- aww)
The reason I prefer some other perfumes is because this is an eau de toilet and the scent isn't all that intense to begin with so it doesn't last very long, but it does smell very pretty while it's there.

*TIP try spraying some into your hair, it seems to last a bit longer than on skin, plus people will be able to smell it better when they hug you :)
Xx

on 9/17/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I rather like Light Blue - it's sweet but oceanic and young and sunny and effervescent.
Yes - it's rather pass and mainstream - but I still like it. Do I need to buy more? No - my bottle is lasting quite a while. Good for Summer.

on 8/15/2014 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using a sample of this for months now, and I must say, when I first got it I thought it was a men's cologne. That said, it's a lovely smell: fresh, clean citrus and something really masculine, like expensive aftershave. However, on me Light Blue dries into something much deeper and less masculine, but still clean -- the underlying fruit and wood notes really pop out, and I just love it. I'm going to use every last drop of my sample, and then I'll be getting the next larger size -- price be damned. I use it pretty sparingly because my office has a policy against strong scents -- luckily, my coworkers haven't complained about me (yet). I'm looking forward to seeing how Light Blue holds up in the winter, because I think that on me, it could truly have year-round wearability. Will update later...

This is my favorite perfume and I always receive compliments when I wear it. I love it because it's never overpowering, it's smells fresh and clean and doesn't bother me like other perfumes do. There's something about it on my skin that makes people comment on it all the time.

But... It just doesn't smell the same way on everybody. A friend of mine tried it and it was just not the same as on me.
My best advice is to try on a perfume a couple of times before you buy it. Give it a few hours and then ask people what they think.

Good luck finding the right perfume! :)

on 11/30/2013 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this. I love the name. I love the velvety blue box. It smelled wonderful on a friend of mine. Unfortunately, on me it smells like Lemon Pledge. I definately recommend trying before buying.

Popular Fragrances