Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
Light Blue

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I actually bought this as a birthday gift for my mother-in-law, and shamefully wanted to keep it for myself!

It was a hefty price, $65 for an ounce. The smell is absolutely heavenly though! It is a sheer (but long lasting and has a presence) floral-clean-powdery scent. Day time and can be seductive or professional. Not much musk or amber, but a tad bit sweet. It was so feminine and elegant. I cannot quite describe it.

My mother-in-law is a teacher, and she says when her kids hug her, they tell her that she smells comforting. In the office her coworkers always ask what she is wearing. Must of been a great choice, because even my husband asked what I was wearing when I came home after buying it, he is a tough fragrance critic.

The bottle does not do this scent justice. I almost passed up trying it, because it looks cheap and boring. I expected more from D&G. Something as elegant and gorgeous as the fragrance please!

If I ever get a chance to purchase it again, it's going to stay with me! I put it on my list of favorites.

I just find it smells quite cheap and doesn't last very well.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this for every formal occasion I went to and whenever I wanted to smell sexy. I noticed that guys would tell me they liked my perfume and girls always knew it was light blue. With that being said I think light blue has become so mainstream and well known as a scent that I will not be repurchasing since I would rather not have people knowing what scent I am wearing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Pros:
I always keep a mini of this around because it is very inoffensive and does not become overwhelming in the summer (I live in a desert).
It lasts VERY well for an EDT. Better than some edp!
My skin makes every scent I wear extremely warm, but the Light Blue is still extremely wearable despite my skin's chemistry.
Cons:
Everyone has this scent/ not unique

Also, if it came down to it, I think I prefer ck One to this scent. It is slightly less well-known and lasts very well for an EDT. It is more androgynous.

on 2/16/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I suppose I should rate this perfum since it's the kind I've been wearing since my wedding day 7 years ago!
The great thing about this perfum is that it doesn't seem to bother ppl who are sensitive to fragrance. I was a hairstylist for 10 years and no one ever had a problem with it.
I'm not saying you should wear it around someone you know has an allergy!
Just that if you don't want to offend someone in a tight space, you'll be good ;)

A sidenote, does anyone else think rating perfum is kind of silly? It's such a personal choice what scent someone likes.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Love this smell it smells so fresh , it is a summer fragrance for sure.

I liked this until my husband commented on this "manly" scent...not what I'm looking for though it is clean ad fresh.

on 2/4/2015 3:31:00 PM

favouriteee! light, fun, refreshing, young & sweet & super gentle. it's long-lasting but soft enough to wear every day. i always get compliments when i wear this but people don't automatically assume it's perfume - they think it's natural or super clean clothes, or just-out-of-shower freshness or something, which is why i love it. definitely repurchasing! ♥

on 9/17/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I rather like Light Blue - it's sweet but oceanic and young and sunny and effervescent.
Yes - it's rather pass and mainstream - but I still like it. Do I need to buy more? No - my bottle is lasting quite a while. Good for Summer.

Popular Fragrances