Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Light Blue

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Ugh, I wanted to like this so much. Funny story, I bought a candle from bath and body works called "Lakeside Sunrise" and I'm obsessed with the scent of it and I wanted to see if there was a perfume that smelled similar. One Google search later and everyone said Light Blue was a dead ringer for lakeside sunrise. I went to ulta and tried it on but I found it was a little too citrusy for my liking :( for some reason it just seemed to linger a little too long on that note for me. The candle smells more floral or Apple to me, I'm not sure why. Anyway, I did buy a cheap knockoff of this perfume and I really like it, but I would never spend the money for the real thing. Darn!

on 9/23/2015 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I waited so long before I got this because it is quite expensive. I love this scent! It is so light and fresh, and perfect for summer! I highly recommend this perfume!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this scent makes me feel refreshed and happy. The only bad thing is the price the name comes with. :/

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like this! It's not my go-to but it's my "guaranteed safe, everyone will like me" scent.

It's fresh, light, sweet and pretty. Light and sweet are my main adjectives, it matches spring clothing, white silk flowy tops, and the scent adds a bit of colour. If that makes sense AT ALL.

This was also the perfume I brought on vacation with me (a 15-day trip to Madrid by myself!) because it's light and it's not going to destroy my Airbnb's host's nose. Especially when I spray it in the morning. right? Who wants to wake up to someone else's perfume that smells like grandmother? Well you can trust D&G's Light Blue is NOTHING like that :)

It's very light, it's almost faint. People only smell it when they're close to me (depends on where I put it of course, but I tend to spray on my wrists). So when they're close to me, my vacation odour wouldn't stink and they smell Light Blue instead. It's not like I'm stinky... just in case.

I use this on very casual weekends. On events when perfume is NOT necessary, in fact especially events when perfume is over-kill. But I just cannot walk out the door without going through my stash of perfumes!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This has been my #1 fragrance for 6 years now.

Let me give you a little background on my fragrance choices: I truly enjoy some fragrance, but many of them give me a headache. The musky, powdery notes with rose & other highly floral notes just aren't for me. Light Blue is NOT one of those. LB is fresh and clean smelling, with notes of Apple and lemon and cedar.

It smells like pure sunshine to me....I hope I always love it this much!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My best friend wears this constantly. He loves it so much and I do think it smells great on him.

on 6/23/2014 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Another favorite scent. Fresh and light and not super feminine. It is fairly pricey and doesn't seem to last long on me. Great everyday choice.

on 4/29/2014 4:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

my absolute favorite perfume! it's not your typical womens perfume (not floral/sweet). it definitely has that clean/fresh scent which is what i love about it and it isn't over powering or too strong. would make a great gift!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Absolutely gorgeous scent.
My mother got this as a gift, she didn't like it and so i had it. WOW, it is the most delicious scent. I had the larger bottle, it lasted such a long time and the smell didn't lessen over time. i had mine for at least a year and a half to 2 years.

the only setback is the price, it is a whopper. therefore, i would only use this when i had special events, not something for everyday wear - just because each spray costs $$$£££

i would buy this perfume, only if it was cheaper! maybe, if ever, on a special offer or in duty free shops!

Popular Fragrances