Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue

Light Blue

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I enjoyed this perfume because it was light and breezy. It is the type of perfume that can be worn by an 18 year old or a woman in her 60's. It is elegant, pretty, and refreshing. When I first sprayed myself it smelled just like Lemon Fresh cleaning spray. A few minutes later is had more of a cedar, and aquatic smell. It smells similar to Cool Water and Acqua di Gioia. I almost bought Gioia, but it had mint in it and it just made the perfume smell strange to me. I think Light Blue is better for my body chemistry (I have oilly skin). It has a universal appeal because it is not too power, or too sweet, or too musky. It can seem like a boring scent, but it is simple and natural. I believe a lady should use different scents. This is perfect for casual/day/spring/summer. I tend to own two or three perfumes at a time, and I also use body splash from time to time. Therefore I have a lot of choices. I would not wear this at night time at a bar or romantic occassional, but I'll be honest, this perfume may seem simple for a woman but for whatever reason men seem to really like it. I think it is because it is pleasant without being too "loud". I noticed that people were saying that it does not last long. It does last about 3-4 hours, and then you need a mid-day spritz or a splash before going out for dinner. People who have dry skin tend to experience "disappearing" perfume. A woman should layer her scent. You don't even need a matching lotion to pair it with. If you moisturize your skin, especially in the places where you spray perfume, the oils in the perfume will stick on to your skin longer. I have used St. Ives lotion all over my body, and even the unscented lotion helps hold my perfume longer. This perfume is good for the summer because the summer heat makes the perfume "bloom" nicely. Therefore if you wear this in the winter there is not enough heat or moisture in the air to really give this perfume any justice. It is best worn casually in the day-time at a work environment, school, or church. It can be worn at night but it's better to wear this at night during the summer. This perfume could evaporate quickly in the cooler months of the year. The reason I say all of this is because I have been wearing expensive perfume since I was about 14. I would get a bottle from the department store once a year. It was usually for my b-day or x-mas. I learned how to apply perfume properly, and how to differentiate the notes in the mixture. This is a very simple chic type of perfume. It can be expensive so I suggest ordering it online or looking at discount stores like Marshalls or T.J. Maxx. The department stores might have good gift sets/values coming out for V-day so check out the nearest Carson's or Macy's.

This website might be a good reference as to how to apply perfume, and make it last longer.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This has been my #1 fragrance for 6 years now.

Let me give you a little background on my fragrance choices: I truly enjoy some fragrance, but many of them give me a headache. The musky, powdery notes with rose & other highly floral notes just aren't for me. Light Blue is NOT one of those. LB is fresh and clean smelling, with notes of Apple and lemon and cedar.

It smells like pure sunshine to me....I hope I always love it this much!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like this! It's not my go-to but it's my "guaranteed safe, everyone will like me" scent.

It's fresh, light, sweet and pretty. Light and sweet are my main adjectives, it matches spring clothing, white silk flowy tops, and the scent adds a bit of colour. If that makes sense AT ALL.

This was also the perfume I brought on vacation with me (a 15-day trip to Madrid by myself!) because it's light and it's not going to destroy my Airbnb's host's nose. Especially when I spray it in the morning. right? Who wants to wake up to someone else's perfume that smells like grandmother? Well you can trust D&G's Light Blue is NOTHING like that :)

It's very light, it's almost faint. People only smell it when they're close to me (depends on where I put it of course, but I tend to spray on my wrists). So when they're close to me, my vacation odour wouldn't stink and they smell Light Blue instead. It's not like I'm stinky... just in case.

I use this on very casual weekends. On events when perfume is NOT necessary, in fact especially events when perfume is over-kill. But I just cannot walk out the door without going through my stash of perfumes!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this scent makes me feel refreshed and happy. The only bad thing is the price the name comes with. :/

on 11/21/2012 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is a classic. A perfect sweet lemony citrus, a great pick-me-up. The staying power is unreal, it will stay in your clothes until the next wash, all of my winter scarves smell like light blue just from putting them around my neck after putting on this perfume!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I hate this fragrance there is no way for me to describe the scent. It smell like it is something more suited for a man.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This smells like an expensive fruity baby powder on me. I don't think this is a womanly or teenage scent, it is a scent of a child or baby. They should have marketed this as a baby line and it probably would sell like hot cakes. It's not an offensive scent at all, very light and summery. Although I do like the scent, I would never purchase a full bottle. The bottle evokes a baby theme too being light blue and yellow. Maybe if I had a daughter and I was uber-rich then I'd buy this for her. As a body powder this scent would be heavenly. Notes: Sicilian Citron, Bluebell, Granny Smith Apple, Jasmine Sambac, Bamboo, White Rose, Cedar Wood, Amber, Musk. It's really light on the cedar wood, amber and musk, but the citron, bluebell, apple and rose is stronger. It doesn't last very long, so maybe the lotion would be more suitable.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this from Ebay for around $30 dollars for a 100ml. The scent last about 5 minutes, I am wondering does it happen to other people? or I have just been rip off by some fake perfume?

on 9/23/2015 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I waited so long before I got this because it is quite expensive. I love this scent! It is so light and fresh, and perfect for summer! I highly recommend this perfume!

Popular Fragrances