Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
Light Blue

3.7

on 4/27/2008 12:40:00 PM

I have bought-and given away-three bottles of Light Blue. I am currently on bottle #4, which I intend to keep for that one day in the middle of the summer when I feel compelled to wear it and nothing but it (the same day last year when I ran out to buy a bottle in the middle of a heat wave).

Yesterday I was in a supermarket, and passed a woman who obviously had the same kind of compulsion. She was drowning in it. A contrail of it billowed back down the aisle, forcing me to make two observations:

1. I have only smelled Light Blue in supermarkets. Not in theatres, restaurants, ladies' rooms, airplanes, hotels, or Sephora. Only in supermarkets. I have smelled it on a wide variety of women, and it smells different on (from) each one, leading me to a very shaky hypothesis about chemical reactions with a wearer's skin.

2. Yesterday's random encounter with Light Blue was one that magnified the woodiness of the base with a faint idea of crisp apple. Ten minutes later, I went back down the aisle and Light Blue hung in the air like a spectre, not a fragrance. If anything, it had expanded. It hovered, nearly heavier than air, a ghost of the wearer, who had made her purchases and gone home. There was a metaphysical moment: Did the wearer know she had left that part of herself floating about, seeping around cans of peas and carrots? Would she be horrified, even as it was enjoyable to at least one random stranger?

When I wear Light Blue, the base is nearly lost in the icy disinfectant of the top, which is sharp and frosty and synthetically tart. It's industrial, or postmodern industrial, meaning that its chemical qualities supersede any attempt to pass Light Blue off as the "deep and true" "feminine and resolute" fragrance Sephora claims it to be. Bluebells? Jasmine? Hardly. It's all sour apple, lemon, and the olfactory equivalent of the blue liquid inside an ice pack. The cedar isn't nearly so prominent on me as it was on the grocery shopper. It is there, sort of rough-hewn and plank-like, but more like a splinter than a foundation. And there will come that one day in the middle of August when it is the only acceptable antidote to humidity, even as there are suspicions that it is like wearing a car wash.

on 12/11/2007 1:34:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the least offensive fragrance I've ever smelled. And you can take that for what its worth. I find that I put in the same "genre" as Burberry Brit -- light, clean, easy, good -- but while I've received complements on both these fragrances, I've only ever had friends repeatedly shove their nose in my neck over this one. It's very light -- a semi-sweet, clean, slightly milky (not rich enough to be creamy) fragrance that strikes me as almost unilaterally fruity. Although, unlike most "fruity" fragrances, the edges are . . . rounded. It's not crisp and juicy so much as it is soft and comfortable. Reminiscent of the apple, rather than recreating a bite. I was surprised to find so many reports of short-life: for me the sillage is great and it lasts for-freaking-ever. I've picked up wool sweaters that have been put away for months and this still lingers, and when I was wearing it regularly it scented my entire closet. I haven't been wearing it much lately, as I've been on a darker fragrance kick, but from time to time when I feel like smelling generally nice and un-fussy I'll still grab the bottle (which is fetching, by the way). I've found it appropriate for all seasons and all occasions, though I could imagine someone finding it strictly casual. It's nice, but not a knock-out special treat, so if you're inclined toward such frags for such occasions, then this would not likely be your preferred go-to. I would (and likely will) buy it again.

on 5/31/2007 9:43:00 PM

It is Saturday morning and you are suddenly awakened at 9:00am by a wonderful and your most favoritest smell. Your mom and dad are preparing their secret recipe: Butter Lemon Cookies. You throw the covers off of you and run into the kitchen. All the ingredients are there: the fresh, ripe lemons/the creamy butter/the flour/the sugar/the brown sugar/and something else. You cant see this "something else" but you suspect it may be the wood from the cabinet all these other ingredients came out of. Your dad is getting all the ingredients out of this wooden cabinet and your mother is mixing them all together. This wooden cabinet, the fresh, ripe lemons, the creamy butter, the flour, the sugar, and the brown sugar are what Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue smells like.

on 12/30/2012 6:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is, hands down, my favorite perfume! I smelled it for the very first time on a classmate of mine during a linguistics class in college about two and a half years ago. Yes, I am late to the Light Blue party. Oh well. Each day, there was this lovely, refreshing lemon scent that made the New Haven winter seem less harsh, the air less cold, the sun shine warmer, the snow glitter livelier. I looked forward to going to class because of this wonderful fragrance that wafted from the girl to my right. Toward the end of the semester, I just had to ask what she was wearing. Light Blue by Dolce&Gabbana! Light Blue? Why is it called that? She explained it was because of the light blue velvety box in which the perfume was packaged (or something).

Upon receiving all these details, I rushed to Sephora to sample this entrancing Light Blue. The one spritz on my wrist lasted for eight hours, and it seemed that for most of the time, I held my wrist up to my nose, never wanting to miss a moment of this fragrance. It reminded me of lemon orchards and laundry hanging out to dry under a cerulean sky, of white flowers strewn all over a Mediterranean beach, of water and wind dancing an ancient waltz at the edge of the world It was the smell of sunshine mingling with the foam-tipped waves of the ocean. I was besotted and am still am.

A modern classic, Light Blue is perfect. No, I care not a fig about its mass popularity nor its persistent dominance in global perfume sales. I do not care what you call it: anorexic aquatic, anemic ozonic, toilet cleanser, or furniture polish. It is too happy and energetic and full of laughter to matter. I love it, right down to its soft fuzzy box that I caress just for the hell of it! Plus, I sincerely think that every woman (or man) wears Light Blue differently because a part of their personality inflects the scent somehow, skin chemistry aside. If you are a calm, analytical person, then those cool watery notes from the bamboo and citron show themselves more. If you are a smiling, cheerful person, then the apple and rose stand out more; and if you are a warm, caring/affectionate person, then jasmine and amber appear in the forefront. Light Blue just has something, and far be it from me to begrudge what seems to be eighty-seven percent of the female population from having the same. I adore Shalimar and think Poison is pretty awesome, but I am always going to have a bottle, if not candles and body care products, of Light Blue with me. No matter what season or time of day or occasion, with two sprays to each side of my collar bone, and a spray below the hollow of my neck, I feel like an angel flying in the spindrift of the sea for the countless hours the fragrance lasts on my skin, hair, and clothes.

That being said, Light Blue is notorious for having a number of sophisticated fakes floating around Ebay and other online discounters (and very likely independent perfume shops/kiosks), which is why some people can not stomach the unnatural citrus smell nor tolerate the short lasting power I suspect. That is not the real Light Blue. I had both a fake and a genuine product to compare. Especially, if you buy it online, where it is admittedly cheaper, please be careful. It is worth experiencing the real thing but not dismissing it because of the sour lemon water that some guy, whose neck I could wring, poured into an actual Light Blue bottle and then placed inside an actual box. This faintly sweet and airy fragrance with a hint of powder is simultaneously warm and cool and lasts just short of forever. Notes: citron, apple, bluebell, white rose, jasmine, bamboo, amber, musk, cedar.

If dreams had a scent, I imagine they would be perfumed with Light Blue, but I am biased. I would wear Light Blue till I die. If you made it here, thanks for reading this long review-reverie!

on 3/22/2010 7:28:00 PM

First and foremost, if you haven't purchased Light Blue from a department store or its website.... you might be spraying a fake. Fakes tend to give people headaches. Please make sure that you have purchased the legit product and then write a review. D&G Light Blue fakes are very COMMON.

+++FROM AN ONLINE SOURCE+++
1. The authentic box is of a soft, velvety texture with a blue "cloud-like" color. Make sure it's not a flat color, but has the two-tone color definition.

2. The back of the real box reads, "This article may only be sold by authorised Dolce and Gabbana retailers". Fake ones often replace "retailers" with the word "dealers".

3. The ingredient list does not take up the whole back of the box. Only the bottom 1/4 portion.

4. The bottle is either made in Italy or Germany. Department stores will carry either/or. Mine (from Sephora) is "Made in Germany" and they swore on their lives that it was authentic. LOL
___

Now, for the smell of the one that broke the bank (purchased at SEPHORA). I like it. Makes me feel fresh. I also feel that it is age/career appropriate for anyone. I don't really care much if it's mainstream -- just because many people like vanilla ice-cream, should I stop eating vanilla so I can feel original and special? Hell no. XD I'm original as is.

Is it my favorite perfume? No. There are better smells out there (like Dior Addict or Prada Infusion d'Iris).

So make sure you have the right perfume in your cabinet.
... and don't over-spray it. Y'all can choke a person!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top Notes: Granny smith apple, Sicilian cedar, Bluebells

Heart Notes: Jasmine, White rose, Bamboo

Base notes: Cedarwood, Amber, Musks

It seems like everyone and their grandmother wears this perfume down here in FL. It's become synonymous with the small town beach life, at least to my nose.

It's a well-crafted fragrance, and you can't go wrong with this one if you like light, fresh, crisp, clean frags that are completely inoffensive and safe to wear near people who hate perfumes.

You'll just smell "good," not necessarily like you're wearing perfume, as if you just took a shower with high-end lemon scented bath soap. And there are just some days when that's all you want or need. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

on 5/31/2007 11:43:00 PM

I have been searching all of my life for the perfect perfume and this is it. I am the type of person that gets headaches when around strong perfumes. I also don't like scents that are too flowery. For this reason, I have mostly stuck with "cool" body sprays. Several years ago, I worked in Macys and every day I would try a different "scent." Finally, my co-worker, a classy lady who had worked in the store for many, many years asked me what my perfect scent would be like. I told her it would "NOT be floral or overpowering, but would be woodsy, musky, and lemony." She told me to give Light Blue a try. I tried it once and was hooked. My search was over. It's been several years and over the years I have added to my perfume collection. I like that DKNY Green Apple perfume and also like Chanel Chance. However, I always go back to Light Blue. And I always get compliments whenever I wear it (especially from men). For those that have said that it's like a man's cologne, I would say it is definately a female cologne with the magnetism of a man's cologne. If you don't like floral, give this a try!

on 7/27/2013 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have been a Chanel gal for years. Not anymore. I love DG Light Blue. Light blue is that subtle soft sexy scent that doesn't overpower or annoy. It is not clingy or in your face. It is elegant, clean, fresh, breathable, and invitingly lovely. I feel elegant in this scent like I am wearing clean linen and high heel sandles. I love how it makes me feel. Maybe the scent triggers memories? I learned this scent was ceated by Olivier Cresp in 2001. I do not know where I was in 01 but this never crossed my radar. Shame on me. Light Blue has a sheer amber accord with tart fruit in the mix. I found a approximate ingredient list that includes Sicilian citron, bluebell, Granny Smith apple, jasmine sambac, bamboo, white rose, cedarwood, amber, musk....Maybe it is the Sicillian citron? I get more compliments with Light Blue than any other fragrance. People say the scent fades... Not on me. It sinks deliciously into my skin. I can still smell a tiny bit on my wrist the next day.

This scent is NOT GIRLY!!! I repeat this scent is NOT GIRLY!!! If you are 15. Don't even go there. LLeave it for when you are 28. It is for the elegant woman of 28 who need wear no more than a white knit cover up over her fab tan, coral lipstick and a handsome Italian gent on on her arm.

Light Blue = Elegant, fresh, relaxed, elusive, beautiful!

on 2/16/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I suppose I should rate this perfum since it's the kind I've been wearing since my wedding day 7 years ago!
The great thing about this perfum is that it doesn't seem to bother ppl who are sensitive to fragrance. I was a hairstylist for 10 years and no one ever had a problem with it.
I'm not saying you should wear it around someone you know has an allergy!
Just that if you don't want to offend someone in a tight space, you'll be good ;)

A sidenote, does anyone else think rating perfum is kind of silly? It's such a personal choice what scent someone likes.

Popular Fragrances