Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue

Light Blue

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

on 9/17/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I rather like Light Blue - it's sweet but oceanic and young and sunny and effervescent.
Yes - it's rather passť and mainstream - but I still like it. Do I need to buy more? No - my bottle is lasting quite a while. Good for Summer.

on 11/18/2013 8:17:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is very grapefruity and "sharp" smelling.

I don't know why I bought it-I think I liked the men's cologne, and so thought I would like this.

It's too "tangy"

This is a beautiful light citrusy floral scent which makes me think of summer. It's a "young" scent which I bought for both of my daughters. One of my daughters left a review on MUA, she actually likes this scent for Fall & Winter wear.
To me this scent smells fresh and young but still accomplished enough to be worn by more mature women as well. It starts out with fresh citrus and florals. But on drydown you can pick up a woodsy note as well.
This is not my favorite scent (I'm more into florals) but I do like it. My only major complaint is that it does not seem to be very long lasting, almost no sillage. Having said that, it's great if you have a little purse size as well and don't mind reapplying fairly frequently. It's never an overbearing scent and can be worn almost everywhere at any time of day or evening.
I don't like the cheap looking faux velvet box it comes in (neither does my daughter) but that has nothing to do with scent.

on 12/16/2009 4:12:00 AM

i get the apple and the floral. at first i liked this but then i just got bored. this scent remains flat on me. another bottle i passed onto my daughter on who it evolves like i expected it to on me.

on 11/24/2008 8:05:00 AM

love this fragrance. It is light and feminine. I get lots of positive comments on this one.

on 10/27/2008 5:04:00 PM

Fruity, fresh, fabulous!! Right for any and all occasions. Will keep as another of my HG scents.

on 7/24/2008 1:13:00 PM

I enjoy fresh scents so decided to get a sample and give it a test run. It smelled very nice at first spray, sort of fruity sweet. After about twenty minutes, it hit me, I have been smelling this constantly on other people for the last few years, I just didn't realize what it was! The drydown is pleasant enough, but I mostly smell what I thought was a faint hint of Christmas tree (the cedar note I guess). Nice scent but I swear I smell it more often on others than any Bath and Body Works scent, even WVS!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Other, Fine

I was given this fragrance by a friend. I was impressed that it was Dolce & Gabbana but really, it doesn't smell all that great. A little like a fruit salad and I don't like to smell like food. It also doesn't last. Within an hour, you can't smell it anymore which is good because it's really not a great smell anyway. I'll put it this way....for the $$$, there are alot better smelling fragrances out there. When I wear it, nobody stops me and asks me what I'm wearing! Just pass on this one.

on 4/11/2007 11:29:00 AM

got this as an xmas gift from my m-i-l. I normally do not go for clean or citrus, but truth be told, its very pleasant and I don't mind wearing it. Its for those days where you want to smell clean and fresh, or sporty (like to a baseball game) "smile", but not too sexy. The initial hit is very citrus-y, pretty strong. Then, within 5 to 10 minutes, it really warms up and lightens up a little, you still smell the citrus, but its mixed with other scents, slightly tropical-ish. I smell coconut somewhere in there. My husband and son do like it on me too. I do like this, I will continue to keep it in my arsenal.

Video Reviews & Tutorials