Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
Light Blue

3.4

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really do like this fragrance- on other people. It just does not blend well with my body chemistry. This is a very light but tart lemon and apple with back notes of cedarwood, amber and musk. On me, it smells wonderful for the first 15 minutes and then drys down to me smelling like a bottle of woodsy Pinesol cleaner. The cedarwood starts to takeover and the lemon fades into the background.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

There's a reason this fragrance has been so very popular. It's because it smells good, is exceptionally easy to wear, and is highly versatile: appropriate for day or night, for work or play, for going out to dinner or for just slobbing around the house. Part of the reason for that versatility, I suspect, is the pure simplicity of its concept: it basically comes down to two equally high-pitched and nasal facets--the sharp musky cedar below and the tart lemon/apple above--oscillating against each other to eternity. The result is a kind of olfactory moire effect, shimmery and (to my nose, anyway) quite pleasant.

I suspect that Light Blue may also carry an additional appeal to Americans in particular, due to the strong hygienic associations of its three major notes, each of which, in their own way, can be said to represent cleanliness. Lemon, of course, is very strongly associated with cleaning products, while that tart green apple note is commonly used in the US to scent shower gels, shampoos, and astringent facial toners. The cedar, meanwhile, brings to mind cedar-lined linen closets or cedarwood chests, used to keep stored clothing clean and fresh and safe from moths. Put them all together, and you're definitely appealing to a desire for cleanliness, or "freshness." I tend to associate that desire with American tastes -- we do love the whole squeaky-clean aesthetic here!--but perhaps it is more universal than I realize.

My one criticism of this fragrance is that it can get a little screechy sometimes. I referred above to both the cedar and the tart fruit facets as "high-pitched and nasal," and while I realize that I'm engaging in an aural analogy there, it's the best way I can think of to describe exactly what I mean. They're both sour, sharp, astringent fragrance types, the sort that can really seem to get all the way up into your sinuses sometimes. Since I enjoy astringent smells, I'm not bothered at all by that aspect of Light Blue, but I can certainly see how it might get in the way of others' enjoyment. That synthetic cedar in the base (is that the Iso-E-Super people so often talk about?) is also extremely long-lasting and tenacious in a stickily pervasive musk-like way --- should you take a dislike to it, you *will* be smelling it for days, not only wherever you sprayed it, but also on anything and everything that got too close to the original spray. You have been warned.

Sadly, while I enjoy Light Blue on other people, it doesn't behave very well on me. When I wear it myself, the lemon and apple notes disappear very quickly, while the cedar becomes *ludicrously* accentuated; the end result is that I wind up walking around for hours smelling very much like a hamster cage. A *clean* hamster cage, mind you, but still very much a hamster cage. So it's not one that I keep around, but I always enjoy smelling it on others. Fortunate indeed for me!, because this fragrance is so very, very popular that once you know what it smells like, you will find yourself encountering it *everywhere.*

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Love this smell it smells so fresh , it is a summer fragrance for sure.

on 12/15/2014 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Light blue is almost a cult perfume, on a friend it smells so nice, like spring!! On me, more like a citronella bug repellent.l.I don't enjoy citrusy ftagrances, they rarely smell great on me..Light Blue is lovely, but very overated in a way...for those who enjoy summery scents though, this is a nice option, if you can wear citrusy perfumes...
I much prefer the Escada with their tropical vibe though.

on 9/17/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I rather like Light Blue - it's sweet but oceanic and young and sunny and effervescent.
Yes - it's rather pass and mainstream - but I still like it. Do I need to buy more? No - my bottle is lasting quite a while. Good for Summer.

on 8/18/2014 1:18:00 PM

Received a small sample botte from Sephora points. I've always heard good things about this fragrance but never had any desire to purchase as it seems like everybodys wearing it and I wanted something different. I have really come to love this scent though. To me it's very feminine, sweet. I will probably purchase this when sample gone, I like it that much.

on 6/13/2014 8:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

This is lovely. I had been wearing Hermes Sur Le Nil and was looking for something similar but a little less expensive. The sales person recommended this and I liked it immediately. It is both feminine and masculine, and is heavy on the citris and musk without being over powering. It's perfect for the warm weather.

on 11/18/2013 8:17:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is very grapefruity and "sharp" smelling.

I don't know why I bought it-I think I liked the men's cologne, and so thought I would like this.

It's too "tangy"

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Just a little advice out there. If you want to avoid the headache of getting ripped off don't buy your perfume off EBay. Although I had one good purchase of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, I have had two fake bottles sold to me. One dealer even had 100% rating. Spend the extra and purchase only from a department store or reputable online dealer. Too many scammers on EBay. I will no longer buy my fragrances off eBay. Heed the warning my friends.

on 7/27/2013 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have been a Chanel gal for years. Not anymore. I love DG Light Blue. Light blue is that subtle soft sexy scent that doesn't overpower or annoy. It is not clingy or in your face. It is elegant, clean, fresh, breathable, and invitingly lovely. I feel elegant in this scent like I am wearing clean linen and high heel sandles. I love how it makes me feel. Maybe the scent triggers memories? I learned this scent was ceated by Olivier Cresp in 2001. I do not know where I was in 01 but this never crossed my radar. Shame on me. Light Blue has a sheer amber accord with tart fruit in the mix. I found a approximate ingredient list that includes Sicilian citron, bluebell, Granny Smith apple, jasmine sambac, bamboo, white rose, cedarwood, amber, musk....Maybe it is the Sicillian citron? I get more compliments with Light Blue than any other fragrance. People say the scent fades... Not on me. It sinks deliciously into my skin. I can still smell a tiny bit on my wrist the next day.

This scent is NOT GIRLY!!! I repeat this scent is NOT GIRLY!!! If you are 15. Don't even go there. LLeave it for when you are 28. It is for the elegant woman of 28 who need wear no more than a white knit cover up over her fab tan, coral lipstick and a handsome Italian gent on on her arm.

Light Blue = Elegant, fresh, relaxed, elusive, beautiful!

Popular Fragrances