L'Occitane Amande Cleansing and Soothing Shower Oil

L'Occitane Amande Cleansing and Soothing Shower Oil
Amande Cleansing and Soothing Shower Oil

4.4

Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Tipa-Laureth Sulfate, Laureth-4, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Parfum/Fragrance, Cocamide Mea, Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Sorbitan Oleate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Aqua/Water, Limonene, Coumarin, Linalool

on 9/16/2018 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'll be very honest; at first, I was disappointed with this product. I'm giving it five stars though because, once I learned how to use it, I was amazed at the results and found that none of my initial "problems" with it were long-term. Here's my (very thorough) take:

I bought this because I wanted something more moisturizing. I started using this in Shanghai in the middle of the summer. Shanghai's summers are INSANELY humid and hot. Switching from soap to oil is not a bad idea in and of itself, but switching from soap to oil in the middle of the summer is a terrible idea. On especially hot days, the fact that I was showering with oil meant that I was smelling like fried food. This was disappointing too because the product truly does have a pleasant smell. It's true; it smells like an almond cookie.

*However,* the fried-food smell went away before too long, and I think it's because I started using the product differently. Here's how I've used it and found a lot of success:

Massage onto skin with your bare hands. (This will mean you'll go through the bottle faster; I think a bottle lasts me about three months.) Then, use a cloth or a bath puff to build up the lather and to exfoliate. This is VERY IMPORTANT because, when you switch from soap, your skin will still be used to the drying effects of the soap and will be producing a lot of oil for a while, to which you will now be adding even more. If you are not careful to exfoliate once you stop using soap, you will probably have a few weeks of breakouts. Just a warning, but this doesn't HAVE to be a problem if you exfoliate. Getting away from soap seems to be better in the long run though, since soap is so stripping, and stripping is aging. Just remember that; it's worth figuring out how to use this and getting through any "adjustment" period.

The lather with this product is really minimal, so if you apply it directly to a bath accessory rather than your body, you aren't necessarily going to get clean; you need to make sure the product gets on your skin. For best effects, apply to your skin as you stand away from the spray in the shower; otherwise, it will rinse off immediately, you will waste a lot of it, and, again, you won't get clean.

After you rubbed it on and scrubbed with a sponge or a bath puff or whatever it is that you use, *then* rinse it off.

People debate about the smell. I have a super-sensitive nose, but, yes, I do smell the almond oil on myself after getting out of the shower (others might not). The fragrance barely lasts though, so if you want to emanate a fragrance, use perfume.

You won't be greasy at ALL, but you will be amazingly moisturized. In fact, on a lot of days, I don't even have to put lotion on my legs after shaving. I'd prefer a product with more of a fragrance too, but nothing I've tried beats the moisturizing effects of this. It's awesome to be so soft without having to use any lotion (saves money and time!).

I will keep using it. However, if, next summer, I find that I'm smelling like fried food again (even after learning how to use it properly), then I'll save this as a winter-only product.

Hope that helps!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This smells soothing. Love the almond smell. But the feeling of applying oil to cleanse my body is just weird and i dont know if i am well cleansed or if i am using too much product (cuz it doesnt foam). I dont feel like my body is super smooth bcuz of this as well. I wont repurchase.

on 4/25/2018 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

THIS IS IT. If possible I'll probably be using this all my life. I've been using this for a few years already, and when I run out of it, I find myself not even wanting try ANYTHING else. The smell is heavenly. It's a sweet kind of almond scent and both me and my boyfriend loves it. When you take some on without having the shower running, it will turn white and silky smooth. I even use it to shave my legs, I know it is kinda expensive, but I find it to be totally worth it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Having recently moved to Norway, my skin is incredibly dry now, and bar soap just won't cut it anymore. I'm pretty fussy about my bath products. Can't be too oily because I clean my own bathtub and can't be too fragrant because I get headaches from strong smells. I also reject anything that starts their ingredient label with SLS.

On a whim (with a fair bit of desperation) I invested in the huge 16.9 oz pump bottle. I could not be happier with an impulse purchase!! The smell is subtle and pleasant-- not sickly sweet or overly floral. It lathers well, makes me feel clean without drying my skin out, and doesn't leave my tub oily and slippery. I will continue buying this even after I leave Norway!

on 1/1/2018 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Holy grail shower oil. It is a luxuriously feeling oil gel which turns milky with water. Leaves my skin hydrated with a subtle warm scent. Bit pricey but the eco refill makes it a little less painful :’).

on 11/2/2017 11:37:00 PM

I cannot be without this product. It is amazing, and absolutely my favourite shower product. The Almond Shower Oil has a gorgeous smell, almond and vanilla, and is nice and sweet without being sickly. It lasts a long time on the skin as well and will make your shower/bathroom smell nice. This product comes out of the bottle as an oil, but when rubbed into the skin in the shower, it thickens up and becomes a white, milky product. I use my hands to apply this to my body in the shower. A little goes a long way, so a bottle will last a long time - which is a huge plus seeing as it is quite pricey. It leaves my skin feeling smooth, soft, hydrated and clean. I like to follow up with the Almond Milk Concentrate lotion, as it is a lotion which pairs perfectly with this product! I cannot rave about this Almond Shower Oil enough, I highly recommend it! It will change your life!

on 7/15/2017 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Absolutely wonderful! I love the scent of almonds, it also feels very soft and soothing to the skin. Doesn't lather much but I dont mind. Quite expensive though so I use it mostly as a treat every now and then.

A few years ago I used this product every day, but now I think there are equally good affordable alternatives on the market. Right now I'm using shower oil from the brand Isana (available in EU- same results, 8 ingredients, soap free and dirt cheap, like 1-2 euros?). L'Occitane oil is a luxe, yet overpriced product. Leaves skin moisturized and soft, smells beautifully, looks pretty on the shelf. Can be used on even the most sensitive skin. But I won't purchase again.

on 5/19/2017 9:28:00 PM

This is heaven. I love the consistency - a rich, moisturizing oil that lathers. The scent is so luxurious, like the most beautiful almond served on a gilded saucer. It is far too pricey for me to use daily, but this is my 'date night' shower gel that I treat myself to. My one small complaint is regarding the bottle on the small version. The packaging is beautiful and I love having this out in my bathroom, but the cap can be difficult to get open with wet hands, at least on the 2.5oz bottle. Sometimes I have to sort of bite it open a bit and this doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells :). I would probably not repurchase due to the cost, but love this as a treat.

on 5/11/2017 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Without doubt the best shower wash I've ever used. It's shame it costs so much otherwise I'd make sure I never ran out.
Especially good for shaving your legs.