Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Magnificent on the right person and potentially lethal in the wrong hands, so stay away if you're heavy handed. One spray in the air and walk through naked. Anymore than one spray and you will be gasping and everyone will want to clear out! I still have my 1st. bottle from 10 years ago, I rotate/collect vintage/modern perfumes so I have alot of scents. I dont wear it very often but sometimes I will sniff the bottle or get the courage to wear it before bed or just relaxing. Lingers on your clothes for days and the scent gets better. AE changes quit a bit from the intial intimidating sharp first spray, it is rich, sensual, woodsy earthy, herbal, uplifting and relaxing at the same time. I've noticed on myself and I used to work with a women many years ago who wore this, it leaves an eluding airy creaminess on my shirts and bloueses that makes it so unbelievably beautiful and the initial reason I sought out this fragrance in the first place. I would recommend wearing in the cooler months, would never wear this in the summer, but if you can pull it off more power to you. Lots of notes go in the making this great dame. A must have for the perfume conisoures out there. If you end up loving it like so many do, you will treasure it. Definitely not for everyone and that's a good thing. Aromatics Elixir is one of my top 10 favorites.😉 Caution!

This is my first and I'll keep it short and to the point. In late 1989 I was working and living in a wealthy suburb of St Louis. Every once in awhile a lovely fragrance wafted by which stopped me in my tracks. That had never happened to me before but the third time this happened I dropped what I was doing and inquired what fabulous fragrance this pretty lady was wearing. She told me Aromatics Elixir. I dropped my previous signature scent, I wear this daily and I receive compliments often. We're entitled to our own opinions and I'm sorry it's not been the perfect fragrance for everyone but I can say without hesitation that every time I spray it on it elevates my mood instantly. I will never wear anything else. I've been tempted a few times, most recently by Amarige by Givenchy which is wonderful! But it's not Aromatics. I'll wear it forever! I truly, truly adore it! 😍

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My deepest nature is that of a rebel, so it seems that the more people hate this fragrance, the more I love it, lol. These reviews assure me that when wearing Aromatics Elixir I won't have to worry about smelling like everybody I pass on Sunset Blvd. I don't know why I love this fragrance, but I always have...since I was a little girl. To me, it smells mysterious and intriguing. It made me think Catwoman would wear it (the one in the 1970s TV show), or the woman in The Spy Who Loved Me. I wear Aromatics in White 99x more, these days, but I wouldn't be without AE. Back in 1993, I was wearing AE when I learned I was pregnant with my first child. For years, I associated AE with morning-sickness nausea (and, frankly, some terror). After awhile, though, the Catwoman-Spy connotation came back, and now I love to wear this with liquid black eyeliner and kick-a$$ red lipstick. I think I'm one of the lucky ones whose body chemistry suits this...I have definitely been repulsed by the scent of this on others. It's hard to believe the same scent can smell so completely different depending on who is wearing it! My 8 year old daughter thinks this smells like cinnamon on me, and she loves it.

I was in my local perfume shop and decided to try Aromatics Elixir. The sales woman warned me not to judge it on the initial spray, which is never a good sign. Anyway...It's very strong, Robert Piguet Fracas strong, and it smells of lemongrass and pine toilet cleaner.

It would make a great, very expensive, air freshener.

This is a very herbal woody earthy fragrance that is definitely NOT for someone looking for a light fragrance. On me I can really smell the woody/patchouli which I like. I've liked this since high school but only wear it occasionally since it is very powerful and may offend sensitive people. I find it like a warm cozy wintery aromatherapy fragrance.

This is a difficult one to review, since my mother and sister absolutely love this perfume!
I bought a small bottle, but really do not like the smell. It is very strong, think i will try again when i near my 40`s.

The Positive are, if you love the smell please go ahead and purchase. It last all day long.

Green, mossy, herbal, slightly sharp, floral and chypre. This is a fragrance I wish smelt good on me, but it doesn't.

I've lost count of the number of times I've smelt this on women whose body chemistry suited it and swooned. Right now, a friend of mine wears it as her signature fragrance and it smells fantastic on her. Every time she wears it I not only sniff the air but open my mouth and inhale the fragrance molecules as if I could eat it. It smells that good on her.

Alas on me it smells dry, sour, sharp, and generally off. Every time I wear it I smell as if I'm wearing a bottle that's gone bad. Alas, it's not the bottle, it's my body chemistry. I've been trying it every few years for nearly 30 years in the hope that as my body chemistry changed it would smell good on me, but it's not to be.

There are some fragrances that smell good on nearly everyone. There are some fragrances that are totally dependant on body chemistry. Aromatic Elixir is one of those. It has a bad reputation because so many people wear it when it doesn't suit their body chemistry. It used to be a gift with purchase addition to Clinique sets, so people who were totally unsuited to its mossy embrace would spray away with abandon and end up smelling like a combination of mothballs and cheap body spray.

Don't do it folks. Test a couple of times before purchasing, and if you ever get a bottle as gift with purchase give it to someone else if it does't suit you.

I have given it a 3 out of 5 because it is fantastic on the right person. It is also quite unisex. I've know several men who wear it with success.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Totally dated, old style. Smells like a vintage floral oriental perfume going gently off. That being said, there's something warmly sentimental and feminine about it, so if you like the old styles and that feeling of history, this is worth a spin. It's not the old style I go for, but it could be yours.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was a neo-hippie chick for a bit in the 90s. I know, I know... Life was patchouli oil, ylang ylang, burning sage, and nag champa and frankincense incense, DIY herbal tinctures, tea balls, Doc Martens, Tiger Balm, head shops, hiking trips in New England autumn, the whole shebang. AE, during the first hour, reminds me of those things, all rolled into one. Af first spray it's very strong and perhaps off-putting. But it gets SO much better.
It's earthy, spicy, herbal, bitter-green floral, a wet forest floor, a mossy garden, and totally organic. Some have called it dirty, but I dont find it to be. There's a difference between earthy and dirty. I can see why some call it assaulting. It's a vintage powerhouse. Sillage and logevity beast, care needs to be taken with application. This isn't something you spritz all over.
The dry down reigns in the fragrance, turns it into an amazing, warmly spiced/cinnamon-floral on me. It lasts just about forever. It actually slightly reminds me of the Liz Claiborne fragrance in the yellow triangle bottle, which I wore circa 1999. (But much better)
It's epic, for sure. Not for everyone. You have to smell it for yourself, and if you prefer more modern perfume offerings, you'll probably hate it. Heck, based on the reviews here, you'll probably hate it anyway.
Apply it lightly and give it hours before deciding. I had to wear it 3 times before purchasing, (hated it the first time), and I've started with just the purse spray bottle. I spray into the air and walk through. Or spray into a small saucer and use my fingers to dab my neck. Wish there was a rollerball. It's basically too powerful to spray directly on oneself.

EDIT: After a few months with this, I've upgraded my review to 5. It's just that good.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I was given this perfume and its body lotion as a gift, but I must say I absolutely hate them both. I gave away the perfume immediately to a friend who liked it and thought it reminded her of her grandma's perfumes (literally though!). I kept the body lotion thinking I would be able to use it somehow, but no. Although the initial strong smell fades away after a few minutes, I found myself abhorred by the smell whenever I came to feel it. It is really strong and gives me a total headache. I really absolutely cannot stand this scent.

Popular Fragrances