Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

4.1

Water, Dihydroxyacetone, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Petrolatum, VP Dimethiconylacrylate Polycarbamyl Polyglycol Ester, Caramel, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Dimethicone, Steareth 20, Steareth 2, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna)

on 4/19/2016 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my first self-tanner, so keep in mind this is written from the perspective of someone who has never self-tanned.

I really love this tanner. I have resisted self-tanning for so long because I was afraid of turning orange (I have used the Jergen's gradual tan lotion and that makes me really orange in the light color). I'm very cool toned so it is especially noticeable if I suddenly look orange. The color of this tanner is really nice- it does have a slightly orange tint, but it has more brown in it that makes it believable. When I use this I get a lot of comments about how I look like I had some time in the sun, and after mentioning that it was fake tan most said that it looked real. The color develops in a few hours, I put it on at night and let it develop overnight. It also has color in it to help you see where it was applied.

It is fairly easy to apply. I don't have a tanning mitt so I use Nitrile gloves (I work in a lab and just swiped some extra) but a tanning mitt might make application easier. After showering, exfoliating, and shaving, I make sure to use a moisturizer that isn't overly oily (I've been using Vaseline cocoa radiance) and add extra around my elbows, knees, etc. After the lotion dried, I go in with the tanner and smooth it on in circular motions. It takes a bit of time to work it into the skin, but if you are patient it melts into the skin well and doesn't streak. The only problem I have with application is when you add too thick of a layer, it can dry kind of funky and ball up if you rub over that area again before it completely dries. Work in thin layers and it shouldn't be an issue. I leave it on overnight and take a lukewarm, gentle shower in the morning to wash the excess off. If you decide you want deeper color, you can apply it 2-3 nights in a row and your color will get darker.

If you are new at self-tanning, try this one out. The price is great ($7 per tube and I've gotten about 8 full body applications per tube) and the scent isn't overbearing. I don't mind the scent of fake tanner though, so if you are sensitive try and give it a sniff in store. The color is very nice and natural and lasts about a week before fading/ getting patchy. I will definitely continue to use this and repurchase!

you get a great brown color and much better and faster results than sun tanning or bed tanning.

To Read all 133 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/5/2015 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

There is very little color payoff with this. It did little more than one of those lotion gradual tanners. It also settled into my hair follicles and left them much dark than the skin on my legs. Not a good look. It smells better than most tanners but I think that is because there is so little active product in it. It's more of a lotion. What color I did get was slightly streaky. The price seems cheap but you're getting so little active product that it is not worth it. I guess I'm supposed to keep applying this and buying more product so I can finally end up with decent color but after two applications and still being pretty pale I don't have the patience. Who wants to have to apply tanner every day?

on 7/3/2015 10:31:00 PM

I bought this after seeing rave reviews on YouTube and here on MUA.It doesn't have much of a smell on skin which is great,it's not an orange tan just a nice natural brown tan.I think it'd be best applied outdoors to make sure your not getting streaks and that it'll look good and even in any light if it looks good outside.A little product goes a long way.I would repurchase.

on 5/28/2015 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this product based on the great reviews I read here! I am super fair skinned.. Pretty much see-thru..and i'm willing to try pretty much anything to give myself a little color!! Starting at the top: I love the price.. It's dirt cheap! Packaging is fine. It has little to no smell when applying and hours later if I reeeeally sniff my skin I can just barely tell I have self tanner on. This product does have a color guide/tint to it but it's very sheer. I like that because most tinted products "stain" your skin as soon as you put them on..this doesn't! I still wore gloves to be safe. The texture is a cross between a cream and a gel. It's thick but not to the point that it'll clog pores. The sheerness and texture make it very blendable so I got away with using a small amount of product. I typically need to mix my self tanner with a regular lotion.. Not this. No need to soften the stain, detract from the stench or add moisture. It's moisturizing on its own and feels great all day even in hot weather. The color that develops isn't super dark, but that's great because I can build it up. Very happy with this product!! Thanks makeupalley peeps!

on 5/28/2015 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product works great! The color is dark and it will get even darker the more you apply. It does come off blotchy like other self tanners. The only downside about this product is that it smells TERRIBLE. It will keep you up at night it's so bad. When I originally dries, you can put lotion on it to mask it a little bit

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ok so compared to many of the pricey self tanners on the market Banana Boat Deep Dark definitely does the trick. I am pretty fair and wanted to achieve a warm glow without that aweful carrot orange color. I got a lovely warm glow with one application. There is no orange tint to this self tanner. Unfortunately as with every self tanner I have used I get that horrible odor within an hour or two of application. It's pretty strong. So much in fact it kept my sensitive sniffer up all night getting wiffs of it. I wish I could find a self tanner that give you a gorgeous glow without the rank odor. If you can get past the bad smell through the night you will be happy with the results the next day after your shower. I would suggest wearing long pants and a top to bed to mask the odor and contain it.

Product went on very easy. Pleasant smell. Dried moderately quick . I let the tan develop overnight and showered in AM. Very minimal color rinse off. No streaks or orangey color. I am light skinned/ prone to freckling. Warm bronze color. Natural warm look. I would highly suggest buying 2 bottles when purchasing because item seemed to be hard to find in local stores.

on 2/22/2015 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using this product for a couple years now. I have light to medium skin tone depending on the time of the year. This product give me a nice warm tan. Not orange. More like a brownish red. Or at least that what it looks like on my skin. I apply it all over one day. Then the second day I mix with my lotion for a lighter coverage. The scent isn't as strong as other self tanners. It wears off ok. Sometimes patchy if I don't exfoliate. It also has a color guard. For the price and quality I will continue to repurchase.

on 1/10/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Love love love this product! I have been using this for about five years, I have tried many different sunless tanners before this one, including the sunless salon spray booths and even the more expensive ones like st. tropez :(.. not even comparable) and I always come back to my good ol banana boat.

I have normal light to medium skin tone, usually tan pretty easily and I try to take very good care of my skin, so I use this product year round, usually once or twice a week. I did give it four stars because it does leave a slight smell a few hours after it dries. I don't notice much of a smell while applying though. Nothing comparable to my experience with the smell of sunless spray booths (which I can't stand.)

It is of a lotion consistency and I find it easy to apply with my hands and use after showering. Most of the time I'm limited on time, so I don't really exfoliate before and I apply it like any other lotion I would use on my arms, legs/body. Very few times have I noticed a streak here or there (prob because I didn't take the time to rub in good). It doesn't moisturize as much as I prefer, but I can use my daily moisturizer over the top after it dries with no effect to the color at all.

I also like that it is buildable. So I can use it 2 or 3 days in a row and have an awesome glow. The deep dark color works well with my skin tone. It does look very dark coming directly out of the bottle, but you can barely see where you applied it to your skin. I used the medium color once and found it didn't have enough buildable color for my personal liking.

I have gotten many compliments on my nice glow. The color is not even the slight bit "fake" looking and like I said you can build the color so you determine what looks good. And for the price (about $8 at Wal-Mart) I buy two just to be sure I don't run out! I even used this while I was pregnant during the summer months, and no one would have known I hadn't been in the sun!