Body Time China Rain

4.6

I'm 45 and I have been searching my entire life for the one fragrance that I would call My Signature.

I found it, finally, this year...in the divine China Rain.

on 1/16/2016 1:04:00 AM

One of my faves. It is musky and fresh. I always have this scent in my collection. I've been a fan of china rain for 22 years.

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

A deserved classic - there are so many scents that are inspired by or outright imitating this perfume that it's easy to lose sight of how amazing the original is. If you like Kai, TBS White Musk, or other brands' knockoff China Rain scents, this one is a must-try. It's just the right balance between white floral, clean, musky, sweet, and green - none of the notes are overpowering or cloying. It really does smell like rain, which makes it perfect for every season and every time of day in my book. There's no sharpness to it. The musk is at the forefront on my skin, but not so much that it's animalic. It's everything that's great about a clean scent without being innocent, and everything that's great about a sexy skin scent without being heavy. I have the rollerball - the sillage is quite close, but it lasts *forever* and is very strong, like a perfume oil should be.

on 4/21/2014 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Body Time's China Rain perfume oil is absolutely one of the best all-around perfume values in so many ways. It smells fantastic (a soft clean lily musk), it's a thick and easy-to-transport oil formulation, the oil's scent is *strong* (TOO strong, really -- must be careful), it lasts like crazy, and it's fairly inexpensive.

The China Rain scent itself dries down soft, musky, natural, and sensual. Per terranovabody.com (owned by bodytime.com), "China Rain blends white lilies and Asian blossoms with clean musk and white moss".

CAUTION -- this thick perfume oil is concentrated, strong, and tenacious! The first couple times I wore it, I applied very little, but it turned out to be too much. When dried down to the appropriate strength, it's a "your-skin-but-better" fragrance that pulls people in -- the kind that can make people follow you to ask what you're wearing. It emanates -- becomes one with warm skin in a clean, fresh, delicious way.

A bottle of Body Time China Rain perfume oil is an outstanding value, plus it's an absolutely lovely scent, applied in the right low-key strength. Holy grail-worthy, signature-worthy, any time, any occasion. Natural, warm, fresh, clean, & skin-musky. And soooooooo sensual!

Sister company Terra Nova's China Rain perfume oil is harsher, stronger, greener, pointier, & more pungent than Body Time's -- and Terra Nova's gives me a dull headache. I own both brands', but I much prefer Body Time's, which I find to be muskier & rounder. Subtle application is key -- just use tiny dots.

A HG of mine! Clean, soft and compelling due to the green clover, lily of the valley and what seems like honeysuckle and light jasmine, resting atop a bed of sandalwood and musk. The base notes keep this from being too floral and sweet. This clean, crisp yet sensual scent was totally ripped off by J Lo for her Glow scent, but this is much better! Reminds me of "Rain" type incense. Not too fem, guys can wear this too! I buy an ounce of this at the time.

This fragrance is one you'll recognize if you've ever sampled other, similar scents such as J. Lo Glow and GAP Heaven, or Terra Nova's China Rain, which I think is the exact same as this one, or close to it. Body Time China Rain is a floral/green musk that comes across as shower-clean and soapy. Great for warm weather. It's not a complicated fragrance, and it doesn't morph much as it dries down. I detect quite a bit of lily of the valley -- almost enough to be headache-inducing if you over-apply this scent, but if you keep it to just a few dabs of the oil, you won't overwhelm your senses. Unlike J. Lo Glow, this fragrance is not really sharp or brash -- it's softer. It's good to layer over other musky scents, especially Egyptian and white musks. The low cost is a a real plus, too.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The other reviewers have done a great job of describing the notes as I am horrible at describing them. To my nose this is a soapy green floral. I loved this as a young teen and now that I am in my late twenties, I still love it. It is definitely unique and musky, but clean at the same time. I never feel overpowered by this scent. I have the rollerball, but I have bought the lotion occasionally as well. I wear this more during mild weather, though I'm pretty sure you can pull this off any season. If you like clean and soapy scents, give this a try.

on 12/23/2012 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I first heard of this fragrance when I discovered it was a staple of Nicole Richie's. I called Body Time and asked if they could send a sample and they sent me 5 different ones.After trying them all on, China Rain warmed up on my skin and smelled really good. I got really excited and bought the oil and the next day, I received many compliments! After wearing various types of fragrances (gourmand, floral, sweet, citrus, spicy, etc.) people would not comment or compliment on my perfume. Now, I am a Flight Attendant, so my work consists of working in close quarters with people and sporting this scent has made people (mostly men) ask me what I am wearing! YES! Finally, I've found something that works for me-it is such a relief to have a signature perfume that gets you compliments and makes you feel great! It also lasts a good amount of time too- usually about 6 hours or more on me and I have dry skin.

on 1/31/2012 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Notes: musk, lily, green notes

This is one of the original clean laundry musk oils, very soothing and pure without being either overly soapy or powdery. A wonderful scent for a sensitive environments like certain offices. China rain could easily be worn by men, women, or children as it really just smells like freshly cleaned laundry from the dryer. And dirt cheap. Try it.

on 8/28/2009 11:16:00 AM

Surprised I haven't reviewed this yet, as I've put a huge dent in my bottle. I consider this the "standard" China Rain scent as it's arguably the original (this and/or Terranova's Rain). A soft, green floral with a sheer, clean musk base--this is the roundest and softest Rain scent I've tried so far. Lilies, lily of the valley, clover, maybe hyacinth, honeysuckle, rose? It's the most smoothly blended version to my nose, which makes individual notes hard to pick out. The base is a soapy musk (see also J.Lo Glow, widely thought to be based on this), gentler here than in Glow, but smells like the same sort of musk to me (habanolide?). Kind of a powdered-soap smell in Glow, but here with the creamy florals it's more like bar soap. Tiny hint of sandalwood in the base. Very easy to wear, lovely go-to, no-brainer scent. Body Time offers many bath & body products in this scent if you like layering. If you find it too soapy or too soft and want to try something similar, Kuumba Made's Zen Rain is worth trying (sharper, less sweet, non-soapy, more sandalwood).

Popular Fragrances