Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

4.2

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

on 2/23/2012 10:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I really like this powder. I'll use it alone during days where I don't want to put make up on and it really helps to keep my oily skin matte. Not all day but I doubt any product does that. I'd also like to think it helps keep my skin clear. At least a little. It's not a miracle product, but it does it's job. During the days when I do put make up on I'll use this powder last to set my make up a little. Usually I wear a mattifying primer, then my usual foundation and concealer as well as a regular powder, then this powder. And I find all those together really work well at making my make up last all day as well as keep my skin mostly non-oily.

Considering it's a Mario Badescu product it's also quite cheap when you consider how long it lasts despite everyday use. However it's quite messy due to the packaging and as many others I like to put it on with powder brush for more even coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this product just a couple weeks ago. I was looking for the Silver Powder, but the lady sold me this instead. I found that you need to throw away the little poof because it just causes messes. I apply with a concealer brush at night before bed. I also pat it in with my makeup in the morning along with my regular powder. I don't expect it to conceal, but it does lighten redness from cheek acne. Even if it doesn't get rid of the pimples overnight, this 12 dollar product will for sure last me a year. I think it works well along with my moisturizer helping make sure those oily spots don't get too much. It is a good product to maintain balance overall.

on 1/10/2010 12:50:00 PM

add my rave to the list...this was suggested to me by an online friend...freakin' fantastic at keeping oilies at bay, especially on my shiny happy forehead. the puff is useless--i use a powder brush to apply all over for oil-control (the Cover FX Cream Foundation Brush works faboo) and a small concealer brush to spot treat. dums down redness, no odor and considering how large the pot is and how little you need, a fantastic deal...really liking Badescu products these days...

one word; MATTE.
no shine.
all day.
which is fabulous news for those with acne/oily skin, or both.
my already longlasting foundation is now matte all throughout the day...no touchups.
it really does help with redness, and the sulfur dries up blemishes.(:
it's just, seriously, perfect over foundaton, especially after setting with the facial spray w/ aloe, herbs, and rosewater.
i loooove it!
plus, i got it at the local boutique that sells MB for $10 instead of $12.

I absolutely love this stuff! It took a bit of experimenting to figure how to best use it, but once I figured it out, I became hooked. I originally bought it hoping I could use it as a powder foundation so on Day 1, I applied a little concealer to the inner corner of my eyes, the redness around my nose and on a couple blemishes. Unfortunately, it didn't offer enough coverage by itself, so on Day 2, I applied a liquid foundation to my whole face and then used this to set it. It didn't look terrible, but even though I'm pretty pasty, I feel it made me look a little too pale. I wasn't ready to give up yet because I was convinced I could fit this product into my makeup routine somehow, so...on Day 3 I applied concealer again, as stated above, applied a well-blended layer of the Special Healing Powder all over, then applied a powder foundation over that. I knew later that day that I had a winner. I had stopped using the powder foundation because even though it always looked nice when it was first applied, it didn't wear well on my oily skin and always looked a little too orange on me. To my delight, the yellow color of Special Healing Powder blended with the powder foundation and made it match my skin almost perfectly AND it controls oil so well that I only have to blot once, late in the afternoon, when before I would be blotting around 3 or 4 times a day. My makeup still looks fantastic when I wash it off at night. This product is also great on "no makeup" days because I can brush a little on bare skin and it lessens my redness and keeps me from being shiny. And because it isn't technically makeup, I can tell people I'm not wearing makeup and not be lying! I will definitely repurchase this, though it looks like it will last me forever.

I will, and have, repurchased this! I use it as (very light) finishing powder over makeup, and it gives my skin a healthy, airbrushed look. My skin has been clearer and smoother, and it does a great job of absorbing excess oil- even in the Texas humidity. I love this product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't think this does anything for my skin. It doesn't reduce redness on my skin, it doesn't heal my blemishes... My acne is really resistant to most acne products, so take that as you will.

I also avoid products containing talc, so this would probably be something that I would eschew repurchasing anyway.

on 1/29/2006 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product. The color minimizes redness, and the powder really is soothing and healing. It helps dry up zits. Also, if you have irritated your skin by squeezing or picking at it, cleanse the area, dry it, then apply this powder. Especially good to leave on overnight. Only thing is, it's a little messy to use. Someday I hope they design a better container for it or just use a plastic squeeze bottle and the fine powder could be sqeezed out onto your finger. Overall, a great staple to have in your face kit.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I can't see that this did much for my skin and it looked terrible under makeup. Won't repurchase.