Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

4.2

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

on 6/7/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have oily to combination skin and some troubled spots. Day 2 of using this - whiteheads and ubder the skin spots are less noticeable. I look dewy and people asking which foundation I am wearing. i will update this after a month of usage but absolutely loving it so far!

on 1/31/2016 4:42:00 PM

I purchased this after I ran out of ELF's mineral blemish powder and realized with great disappointment that that $3 gem had been discontinued since the last time I bought it. I didn't want to fork out $18 for the Bare Minerals' version and decided to try this one since it was $12 and a half ounce rather than third ounce jar.

I don't wear setting powder, just cc cream + powder bronzer, but have fairly regular breakouts on my chin. I use a stick concealer on them and like to "set" them with a non irritating sulfur powder (like ELF's or now Mario's) so that there's a layer between the concealer and the bronzer, especially one that may be helping to heal the blemish faster.

Some reviews of this said it made their face appear green-tinged or caused their bronzer or blush to turn colors. That may happen if you use it all over, but if you just apply this slightly green powder with a small brush directly to problem spots, it isn't an issue. This has worked very nicely for me based on what I wanted. It seems to help blemishes subside faster, sets my concealer, and doesn't affect the coloring of my other makeup.

This powder jar is generously sized for the type of product at 0.5 ounce and will last forever. It does have a sifter on top and I tend to tap my brush (a puff is included but a brush is not - I just use a $1 ELF concealer brush) against the inside of the lid to dust off excess powder.

Recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Ok I think I have been using this for about three years now...?!
I tend not to use it on pimple wounds as it didn't work for me and would leave yellow patches on my skin. INSTEAD I use it as a powder primer underneath my mineral foundation, after i've let my moisturiser sink in. What it does is wonderful. It tones down angry red imperfections and blurs pores and marks. It also completely mattifies my skin ready for mineral makeup application. It also keeps me shine free for way longer and helps stop new spots gettin uglyyyy.

I don't use the sponge as its AWFUL and spills product everywhere, and also makes application messy and cakey! Instead I lightly brush it on with a powder brush.

It lasts blimmin' ages so well worth the money!

Mineral makeup users - try it out!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this HG powder except I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the packaging. I've got combo skin that tends to get oily around my nose when I get busy at work bartending. I used to have to carry oil blotting papers in my work apron just to take the oily shine away but after using this powder I find myself not getting oily at all and haven't had a need to use blotting papers. I use the powder on my t-zone after I apply my liquid foundation. I'm an nc35 so this yellow powder blends well with my skin. After I use this I apply my contour bronzer, blush, highlighter and then a finishing powder (either Halo or Fresh's face luster). I find that on days when I forget to use this my nose WILL get oily which means that this powder does really work. My main gripe with the product is that it is extremely messy and isn't very transportable since the powder goes everywhere. I just leave mine open on my makeup vanity, use a powder brush to pick up some powder in the canister and use the lid in an upside down position to catch the excess powder that I tap off. Don't even bother using the powder puff this product comes with since its useless. I highly recommend this to anyone who gets oily. It works wonders. I will definitely repurchase when I run out which seems like it won't happen for at least a year since there is so much product in the container. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this product just a couple weeks ago. I was looking for the Silver Powder, but the lady sold me this instead. I found that you need to throw away the little poof because it just causes messes. I apply with a concealer brush at night before bed. I also pat it in with my makeup in the morning along with my regular powder. I don't expect it to conceal, but it does lighten redness from cheek acne. Even if it doesn't get rid of the pimples overnight, this 12 dollar product will for sure last me a year. I think it works well along with my moisturizer helping make sure those oily spots don't get too much. It is a good product to maintain balance overall.

on 10/8/2010 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

i like this product, but the description compared to the ingredients leaves me with a lot of questions.

This is copied from the product description on the MB site:

"Heal and conceal acne breakouts with this specially formulated, Sulfur based powder that absorbs excess oil and reduces redness and irritation caused by breakouts."

This is the ingredients list, also copied from the MB site:

Talc, Kaolin,Calcium Carbonate,Bismuth Subgallate

source URL: http://www.mariobadescu.com/special-healing-powder

Note the term *sulfur based powder* in the description. The bizarre thing here is that there is NO sulfur in the ing list so what's going on here? One or both must be misleading and it makes me suspicious and reluctant to use other products from this brand. That said, i like how this works. I just have no idea what it really contains and i'm left with the impression that the company can't be trusted to accurately declare ingredients or not lie about product features.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product is average at best. With all the reviews on here I was definitely expecting something better. I have oily skin and I thought this might be my miracle product to tone down the oiliness, but it's nothing more than a regular powder. It gets my skin really matte when I first apply it, like any other powder, but then my oily skin kills off that matte look within an hour or so. Nothing special. It didn't do much for my acne either. What I do love about it though is that the color doesn't show up on my skin too much and it really helps conceal redness and for that first hour after I apply it, my skin looks really nice and shine-free. But again, overall it's decent, but I usually go for drugstore brands with my makeup and this is the first time I bought a brand like this, and online too, because it had such good reviews! I ended up paying somewhere between $15-$20 with the shipping and all, and it was not worth it. I'm not going to buy again for that money, but while I have it, it does have some good qualities, just not good enough though.

on 3/29/2010 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Description from Mario Badescu:
Heal and conceal acne breakouts with this specially formulated, Sulfur based powder that absorbs excess oil and reduces redness and irritation caused by breakouts. May be applied to skin to help control surface oil, disinfect and calm acne prone areas. Works wonders to quickly dry up open, infected pimples.

How to Use: Dust the powder sparingly on irritated, excessively oily areas of the face a few times a week or as needed. Avoid eye area.

Beauty Tip: Dust lightly on post waxed or shaved skin. Apply with a cotton swab to infected or raw, erupted pimples to speed healing process. Tap a little powder into your loose powder and dust over make-up to stay shine free all day.

Ingredients: Talc, Kaolin,Calcium Carbonate,Bismuth Subgallate
**********************************************************
My experience has been fabulous with this! My results have been entirely the same as the description they give---this product works hard to combat shine, blotchiness and keep trouble spots under control. It helps heal blemishes amazingly fast, and keeps others from erupting.

You can use this alone, before or after makeup, in your makeup---it's extremely versatile! I have been lately applying only concealer to my spots and then lightly dusting this over my trouble areas in lieu of full face makeup.

Though: I HAVE tried it under my foundation before, which wasn't my favorite because my skin was mattified from the powder---so the liquid was a little hard to work with. But possible.

Throw out the puff it comes with and use a fluffy brush to apply this with, and a concealer brush to dab directly on the spots. A little goes a long way and I wouldn't expect to get through the jar in a year though I use it everyday!

Try this, and you won't be sorry :)

I got this because I have a not-so-pretty, oily T-zone that shows up around lunchtime. I use this as my setting powder on top of my liquid foundation and my skin stays a beautiful, matte finish throughout the day. It also works well on its own or with a light, powder foundation.

I don't use the puff it came with - a regular powder brush applies more evenly.