Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

I wanted this to work for me as I had a modest success with the drying lotion but really this powder made no difference to my below surface cystic acne. Dusting it on at night after my skincare routine did not make it go down nor make it heal quickly. I even have cysts from 10 days ago that haven't gone down that I've been treating with the powder and that rarely happened before. Really disappointed as I read so many promising reviews. Also hard to apply to small areas with the powder puff but I like the idea of it.

on 6/7/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have oily to combination skin and some troubled spots. Day 2 of using this - whiteheads and ubder the skin spots are less noticeable. I look dewy and people asking which foundation I am wearing. i will update this after a month of usage but absolutely loving it so far!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

This is a great product to use when you have been bad and popped a pimple and and oozing. It will stop the oozing, antibacterial properties, and dry up the spot. Wish I had found this years ago.

on 3/7/2014 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a pretty great powder!

Does what is says and after applying this it's almost impossible to look oily.
I haven't been using it long enough to see if it's helped my acne, but i use this on my tone zone and it's kept my acne at bay with NO OILINESS. The only con is it doesn't really work well with makeup I find. Over foundation it's great especially as a setting powder but if I try to apply blush or bronzer it look's splotchy if I've applied this powder.

Definitely recommended!

on 10/27/2013 11:37:00 PM

For my first five or so uses of applying this on top of my foundation, I thought this powder was useless. No effect on acne or oiliness. It also has an unfortunate greenish tint which ruins any glowy/bronzed tint and even imparts a wan look. Not pretty. I almost threw it out until I tried one last ditch effort. STEP 1: apply powder sparingly after moisturizer has set into skin. STEP 2: apply foundation (I used liquid) on top of special healing powder, continue with blush, etc.

Something about the sulfur sitting directly on top of skin and in between makeup really made a difference for me. Plus the greenish tint neutralizes acne redness this way and I was surprised the powder didn't make my makeup cake. Foundation usually irritates my sensitive skin so the barrier is a bonus. I also happen to be experiencing pregnancy related hormonal cysts and this powder (along with De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment -best OTC acne treatment ever) is healing the cysts, so I suspect it would really help with less severe kinds of acne.

on 10/22/2012 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is by far the best powder out there! I use it over my make up and I don't get shiny or oily for at least 8 hours! And that's a miracle with my very oily skin! On top, it does not irritate your skin like some other powders do. Perfect for oily, acne prone skin, I love it!!

on 2/23/2012 10:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I really like this powder. I'll use it alone during days where I don't want to put make up on and it really helps to keep my oily skin matte. Not all day but I doubt any product does that. I'd also like to think it helps keep my skin clear. At least a little. It's not a miracle product, but it does it's job. During the days when I do put make up on I'll use this powder last to set my make up a little. Usually I wear a mattifying primer, then my usual foundation and concealer as well as a regular powder, then this powder. And I find all those together really work well at making my make up last all day as well as keep my skin mostly non-oily.

Considering it's a Mario Badescu product it's also quite cheap when you consider how long it lasts despite everyday use. However it's quite messy due to the packaging and as many others I like to put it on with powder brush for more even coverage.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

First off, I just bought this a couple of days ago, so it may be that I haven't discovered it's full potential (of course, i'll update if I do), or possibly, that I've used it wrong, but I dunno...I really didn't think this stuff was that great... I'd been noticing that I've been developing some shine throughout the day, but I generally try to steer clear of any type of powder (minerals or not, my skin just seems to break out from them). I thought maybe this one would be different, so I decided to giver a try. I just dusted a little bit of it very lightly with a powder brush to set my make-up and, initially, I thought it looked fine (really, I didn't think too much about it; I figured it was just powder). I ran some errands. At some point, it got a little hot in the car--it was like 90--and I felt a little sweaty so I turned on the air. About 2 hours later when I got home and caught sight of my face in the mirror, let me tell you, I was appalled. My make-up looked absolutely horrible! I cannot believe I was out in public like that. My god, it was like all of my carefully applied make-up had turned into a chalky flesh-toned Queen Helene mask!
I did notice however, that it didn't break me out (I sometimes break out within hours of applying powders) so that's something.
Still, I definitely wouldn't recommend this stuff for daytime use, and I mean really, why bother applying it at night? I doubt it would do much. There are far more effective treatments for acne.

on 5/26/2011 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I generally like this product. It does help cover up my oily nose, but it doesn't last as long as I'd like it too, I have to reapply it many times through out the day. But overall it does work quite well! I would buy it again, it lasts FOREVER.