Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

4.1

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

I wanted this to work for me as I had a modest success with the drying lotion but really this powder made no difference to my below surface cystic acne. Dusting it on at night after my skincare routine did not make it go down nor make it heal quickly. I even have cysts from 10 days ago that haven't gone down that I've been treating with the powder and that rarely happened before. Really disappointed as I read so many promising reviews. Also hard to apply to small areas with the powder puff but I like the idea of it.

on 1/31/2016 4:42:00 PM

I purchased this after I ran out of ELF's mineral blemish powder and realized with great disappointment that that $3 gem had been discontinued since the last time I bought it. I didn't want to fork out $18 for the Bare Minerals' version and decided to try this one since it was $12 and a half ounce rather than third ounce jar.

I don't wear setting powder, just cc cream + powder bronzer, but have fairly regular breakouts on my chin. I use a stick concealer on them and like to "set" them with a non irritating sulfur powder (like ELF's or now Mario's) so that there's a layer between the concealer and the bronzer, especially one that may be helping to heal the blemish faster.

Some reviews of this said it made their face appear green-tinged or caused their bronzer or blush to turn colors. That may happen if you use it all over, but if you just apply this slightly green powder with a small brush directly to problem spots, it isn't an issue. This has worked very nicely for me based on what I wanted. It seems to help blemishes subside faster, sets my concealer, and doesn't affect the coloring of my other makeup.

This powder jar is generously sized for the type of product at 0.5 ounce and will last forever. It does have a sifter on top and I tend to tap my brush (a puff is included but a brush is not - I just use a $1 ELF concealer brush) against the inside of the lid to dust off excess powder.

Recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

Rich in sulphur, this powder keeps oiliness at bay and dries up any existing blemishes. The pale yellow color of the powder (similar to "Banane") is perfect for subtle redness camouflage. I am combo-dry but acneic, and my finicky skin really likes this product.

It's also a fair amount of product for the price, especially as little product is necessary. I highly recommend Special Healing Powder (although it is absolutely not for truly dry-skinned individuals)!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Ok I think I have been using this for about three years now...?!
I tend not to use it on pimple wounds as it didn't work for me and would leave yellow patches on my skin. INSTEAD I use it as a powder primer underneath my mineral foundation, after i've let my moisturiser sink in. What it does is wonderful. It tones down angry red imperfections and blurs pores and marks. It also completely mattifies my skin ready for mineral makeup application. It also keeps me shine free for way longer and helps stop new spots gettin uglyyyy.

I don't use the sponge as its AWFUL and spills product everywhere, and also makes application messy and cakey! Instead I lightly brush it on with a powder brush.

It lasts blimmin' ages so well worth the money!

Mineral makeup users - try it out!

on 1/9/2014 1:08:00 PM

I bought this several months ago, and wasn't really too keen on it because it made my whole face have a green tint. I threw it into my makeup bin and kind of forgot all about it. That is, until last week when I realized that my current pressed powder was oxidizing and making me look like I had a mask on my face. I pulled this out and used a very small bit on a flat top powder brush to set my liquid foundation and it looked beautiful. It didn't look green as before, maybe I was using too heavy of a hand. I have noticed that my skin looks better. I don't know how to describe it, it just looks more fresh I guess. It hasn't irritated my skin which is a plus, and I think that because it is green, it works wonders on redness and helps to further conceal break outs. It does help with my oily skin as well. It's not a god send in that respect, but I have noticed that it does help a little. Overall, I would definitely repurchase this powder.

on 10/27/2013 11:37:00 PM

For my first five or so uses of applying this on top of my foundation, I thought this powder was useless. No effect on acne or oiliness. It also has an unfortunate greenish tint which ruins any glowy/bronzed tint and even imparts a wan look. Not pretty. I almost threw it out until I tried one last ditch effort. STEP 1: apply powder sparingly after moisturizer has set into skin. STEP 2: apply foundation (I used liquid) on top of special healing powder, continue with blush, etc.

Something about the sulfur sitting directly on top of skin and in between makeup really made a difference for me. Plus the greenish tint neutralizes acne redness this way and I was surprised the powder didn't make my makeup cake. Foundation usually irritates my sensitive skin so the barrier is a bonus. I also happen to be experiencing pregnancy related hormonal cysts and this powder (along with De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment -best OTC acne treatment ever) is healing the cysts, so I suspect it would really help with less severe kinds of acne.

on 2/23/2012 10:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I really like this powder. I'll use it alone during days where I don't want to put make up on and it really helps to keep my oily skin matte. Not all day but I doubt any product does that. I'd also like to think it helps keep my skin clear. At least a little. It's not a miracle product, but it does it's job. During the days when I do put make up on I'll use this powder last to set my make up a little. Usually I wear a mattifying primer, then my usual foundation and concealer as well as a regular powder, then this powder. And I find all those together really work well at making my make up last all day as well as keep my skin mostly non-oily.

Considering it's a Mario Badescu product it's also quite cheap when you consider how long it lasts despite everyday use. However it's quite messy due to the packaging and as many others I like to put it on with powder brush for more even coverage.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I love this stuff. I have very oil skin, and this stuff is amazing!

PROS:
* Soaks up & controls oil like no other skincare product I know.
* Calms & soothes acne/irritated skin.
* Treats & masks redness.
* Treats & prevents breakouts.
* Can be used as a setting powder & mattifier.
* Is cheaper than BE's Blemish Therapy & more product
* A little goes a long way.
* No scent at all..not even a medicated one.

CONS:
* Hate the puff that comes with it, so I just use a powder brush.
* It doesn't have a sifter lock like BE's Click-Lock-Go, so can be a little messy.

I don't recommend this for people with dry or even combo skin because it really does dry up the oil. It also contains talc, so if you're sensitive to talc, I wouldn't use this product. But it's perfect for my super oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. Also keep in mind this is not a concealer powder, it's a skincare product, so it won't conceal anything. It will only mask redness a little.

Again, I simply love this stuff & it's one of my HG skincare products. I will continue buying it & I highly recommend it for people with oily, sensitive, acne prone skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this product just a couple weeks ago. I was looking for the Silver Powder, but the lady sold me this instead. I found that you need to throw away the little poof because it just causes messes. I apply with a concealer brush at night before bed. I also pat it in with my makeup in the morning along with my regular powder. I don't expect it to conceal, but it does lighten redness from cheek acne. Even if it doesn't get rid of the pimples overnight, this 12 dollar product will for sure last me a year. I think it works well along with my moisturizer helping make sure those oily spots don't get too much. It is a good product to maintain balance overall.