Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

4.1

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

on 7/22/2007 5:56:00 PM

I recently came off the Pill (after several years of steady use) and my otherwise normal/combo skin has gone completely nuts on me. Whereas on the Pill I used to have one or two hormonal zits pop up on my nose, I am now finding it's possible to breakout absolutely everywhere on my face again, a gift I haven't had since high school. Even the painful under-the-skin cysts have returned! At almost 30, I'm too old for this crap, so I went on a mission to find some products that would help my now increasingly oily, breakout prone skin.

This was my first purchase from the M.B. line and I selected it to use as a daytime oil/breakout control product, since I have an allergy to Benzoyl peroxide. It's sulfur based, and contains simple ingredients: Talc, Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Bismuth Subgallate. The first three ingredients are essentially chalk, clay and more chalk- effective oil absorbers but potentially drying - Bismuth subgallate has some astringent properties and the sulfur acts as an anti-bacterial agent.

The powder itself is a bright sulfuric yellow, and while terrifying in the container it actually does help to counter-balance redness when applied. The key is to apply it sparingly! The powder is quite finely milled, so a thin layer should not leave you looking jaundiced. Forget about using the included puff - it picks up way too much product. Get a nice clean powder brush instead. If your skin has yellow undertones like mine (MAC C2, Stila 20 Watts, MUFE F&B #20), you may even be able to get away with lightly dabbing this onto red spots with a concealer brush or Q-tip if you aren't planning on using foundation.

Having had this now for several weeks and using it as an all-over or spot treatment, I have to say I'm glad I purchased it. A light dusting after concealer or foundation acts as a nice finishing powder, and helps cancel out that last bit of redness my concealer or foundation doesn't. When used on it's own it will help to even out skintone (if you have small spots or healing marks). It does control oil well throughout the day, but be careful using this over dry or flaky skin as it will only highlight those problems - I always apply this on top of a sunscreen or moisturizer and find that really helps. And I do believe this has helped combat my latest round of breakouts - I'd dab this on spots with a Q-tip before bed and did find they were smaller and less angry looking in the morning.

An unpleasant side effect I noticed after a few days use was a darkening of existing blackheads on my nose, making them more visible. Nothing else has ever done that before! Can't say I liked it either. The 'effect' seems to have gone away (although I have since added other products to my regime that may have helped with the blackheads) but I'll report back if I notice it again.

Overall I like this product. It's a real multi-tasker - finishing powder, oil controller, anti-bacterial, color corrector, spot treatment - it performs all these tasks and performs them quite well. The sifter jar is sturdy, and should last several months to a year based on the amount of product needed per use. And it's reasonably priced at $16 CDN. I was pleased enough to want to purchase other products in the M.B. line, and I definitely recommend this if your acne control options are limited to sulfur-based products.

on 10/22/2010 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great versatile powder. I bought it on eBay for around $11. I believe the MB website sells it for $12, not including tax/shipping.

You get a half ounce sifter jar. It really is a lot of product. I mainly use this for spot-treating/concealing so this should last me for at least a year.

This is a pale yellow sulfur-based powder. It doesn't have that rotten egg sulfur smell, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm a picker (yuck) and this is great for spot-treating those sore, red, open pimples. It dries up the nasty stuff pretty well, and does a great job of toning down redness. I'm not left with weird yellow spots on my face. I don't like using this as an all-over face powder because it can be a little drying for me (I use Kryolan Anti-Shine for controlling shine), even on my oily skin. However, when I did try it as an all-over powder, I really liked how it made my skin tone look even and matte. Might be better for me during the summer, but it's getting cooler now, so this just sucks up too much moisture when used all over my face.

I also don't like how messy the jar can be. I have to open and close this over the sink, otherwise the powder gets everywhere. (A pressed powder version of this would be lovely!) It comes with a powder puff, which I immediately got rid of; I prefer using a small brush for this. Plus, the puff was difficult to put back in the jar, since it was a little too big.

I use this both at night and during the day. It's a great multi-tasking product... hiding zits, drying zits, setting concealer, getting rid of redness, controlling shine, evening out skin tone, etc. This is my first MB product, and I will repurchase once I run out.

I absolutely love this stuff! It took a bit of experimenting to figure how to best use it, but once I figured it out, I became hooked. I originally bought it hoping I could use it as a powder foundation so on Day 1, I applied a little concealer to the inner corner of my eyes, the redness around my nose and on a couple blemishes. Unfortunately, it didn't offer enough coverage by itself, so on Day 2, I applied a liquid foundation to my whole face and then used this to set it. It didn't look terrible, but even though I'm pretty pasty, I feel it made me look a little too pale. I wasn't ready to give up yet because I was convinced I could fit this product into my makeup routine somehow, so...on Day 3 I applied concealer again, as stated above, applied a well-blended layer of the Special Healing Powder all over, then applied a powder foundation over that. I knew later that day that I had a winner. I had stopped using the powder foundation because even though it always looked nice when it was first applied, it didn't wear well on my oily skin and always looked a little too orange on me. To my delight, the yellow color of Special Healing Powder blended with the powder foundation and made it match my skin almost perfectly AND it controls oil so well that I only have to blot once, late in the afternoon, when before I would be blotting around 3 or 4 times a day. My makeup still looks fantastic when I wash it off at night. This product is also great on "no makeup" days because I can brush a little on bare skin and it lessens my redness and keeps me from being shiny. And because it isn't technically makeup, I can tell people I'm not wearing makeup and not be lying! I will definitely repurchase this, though it looks like it will last me forever.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I love this stuff. I have very oil skin, and this stuff is amazing!

PROS:
* Soaks up & controls oil like no other skincare product I know.
* Calms & soothes acne/irritated skin.
* Treats & masks redness.
* Treats & prevents breakouts.
* Can be used as a setting powder & mattifier.
* Is cheaper than BE's Blemish Therapy & more product
* A little goes a long way.
* No scent at all..not even a medicated one.

CONS:
* Hate the puff that comes with it, so I just use a powder brush.
* It doesn't have a sifter lock like BE's Click-Lock-Go, so can be a little messy.

I don't recommend this for people with dry or even combo skin because it really does dry up the oil. It also contains talc, so if you're sensitive to talc, I wouldn't use this product. But it's perfect for my super oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. Also keep in mind this is not a concealer powder, it's a skincare product, so it won't conceal anything. It will only mask redness a little.

Again, I simply love this stuff & it's one of my HG skincare products. I will continue buying it & I highly recommend it for people with oily, sensitive, acne prone skin.

FYI, I have very fair, extremely oily, mildly-acne prone skin with reactive and situational redness.

I LOVE this powder! I've been using it for two weeks and have noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin. On days I wear light makeup I just dust it over my moisturizer and go. It really conceals the redness without looking fake or green! And it keeps my face completely matte and oil-free ALL day. On days that I wear a full face of makeup I use it as a primer under my foundation and it looks beautiful! It actually makes my foundation last all day. Coming from a girl who used to have to blot every hour, this is an exceptional oil-absorbing powder. I didn't even have to powder my nose for at least eight hours!

Now, lets talk about it's acne-clearing abilities. We all know bacteria hates sulphur and this stuff has kept me SO clear and actually provides decent coverage of pimples by itself!

The only thing I did not LOVE was the packaging. There is a lot of powder for only $12, but I felt like I wasted a lot of it by using the puff that comes with it, I'd recommend doing your best to get all of the powder that's on the puff back into the jar [because unfortunately it doesn't have a seal over the holes in the jar, so when you open it for the first time, the puff is covered in powder] and throw the puff away.

I definitely recommend this product to anyone with acne, redness, and oil problems.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I AM IN LOVE. How have i gone this long without this god-sent?! This is the ONLY product i've ever bought that keeps my very oily skin MATTE ALL DAY!! And i have used OC-8 and all those other shitty but wayy too expensive products that claim to keep your skin matte all day, that end up working for like maybe one hour at the most. This stuff is so amazing, i can't say enough good things about it! I even sleep in it b/c it helps prevent breakouts as well, and when i wake up in the morning, NO OIL!!! :) This is one of those products that i would take with me if i was stuck on an island for a few years... :) The price is reasonable, my only complaint would be the packaging but i'm not complaining..i'd scoop this out of a baggy with my hands if i had to<3

This is a great product to use when you have been bad and popped a pimple and and oozing. It will stop the oozing, antibacterial properties, and dry up the spot. Wish I had found this years ago.

on 10/27/2013 11:37:00 PM

For my first five or so uses of applying this on top of my foundation, I thought this powder was useless. No effect on acne or oiliness. It also has an unfortunate greenish tint which ruins any glowy/bronzed tint and even imparts a wan look. Not pretty. I almost threw it out until I tried one last ditch effort. STEP 1: apply powder sparingly after moisturizer has set into skin. STEP 2: apply foundation (I used liquid) on top of special healing powder, continue with blush, etc.

Something about the sulfur sitting directly on top of skin and in between makeup really made a difference for me. Plus the greenish tint neutralizes acne redness this way and I was surprised the powder didn't make my makeup cake. Foundation usually irritates my sensitive skin so the barrier is a bonus. I also happen to be experiencing pregnancy related hormonal cysts and this powder (along with De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment -best OTC acne treatment ever) is healing the cysts, so I suspect it would really help with less severe kinds of acne.

on 3/29/2010 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Description from Mario Badescu:
Heal and conceal acne breakouts with this specially formulated, Sulfur based powder that absorbs excess oil and reduces redness and irritation caused by breakouts. May be applied to skin to help control surface oil, disinfect and calm acne prone areas. Works wonders to quickly dry up open, infected pimples.

How to Use: Dust the powder sparingly on irritated, excessively oily areas of the face a few times a week or as needed. Avoid eye area.

Beauty Tip: Dust lightly on post waxed or shaved skin. Apply with a cotton swab to infected or raw, erupted pimples to speed healing process. Tap a little powder into your loose powder and dust over make-up to stay shine free all day.

Ingredients: Talc, Kaolin,Calcium Carbonate,Bismuth Subgallate
**********************************************************
My experience has been fabulous with this! My results have been entirely the same as the description they give---this product works hard to combat shine, blotchiness and keep trouble spots under control. It helps heal blemishes amazingly fast, and keeps others from erupting.

You can use this alone, before or after makeup, in your makeup---it's extremely versatile! I have been lately applying only concealer to my spots and then lightly dusting this over my trouble areas in lieu of full face makeup.

Though: I HAVE tried it under my foundation before, which wasn't my favorite because my skin was mattified from the powder---so the liquid was a little hard to work with. But possible.

Throw out the puff it comes with and use a fluffy brush to apply this with, and a concealer brush to dab directly on the spots. A little goes a long way and I wouldn't expect to get through the jar in a year though I use it everyday!

Try this, and you won't be sorry :)