Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Filtered by age: 19-24
Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder

Talc,Bismuth Subgallate, Kaolin, Zinc Oxide,Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Carbonate,Zinc Stearate,Sulfur

I wanted this to work for me as I had a modest success with the drying lotion but really this powder made no difference to my below surface cystic acne. Dusting it on at night after my skincare routine did not make it go down nor make it heal quickly. I even have cysts from 10 days ago that haven't gone down that I've been treating with the powder and that rarely happened before. Really disappointed as I read so many promising reviews. Also hard to apply to small areas with the powder puff but I like the idea of it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Just to let you know I've actually only been using this a few days now, but I just wanted to get some pretty crucial initial notes down and will update this review after I've been using it a month +.

So, I was just using the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Powder which didn't offer much coverage (probably a little more coverage than this powder, though), was very expensive, and didn't seem to ever help my skin or effectively reduce oil/shine for more than an hour or two. The only positive was that it didn't break me out hah.
This powder is by a company I trust a little more and is also a hell of a lot cheaper so I figured it would be better than the Juice Beauty powder even if it didn't help my skin much, either.

The first couple of times I used this I just applied it alone over BB cream and this was a mistake because both my boyfriend and my friend asked me why my skin was green after looking at my face very closely in confusion for a second. Perhaps I just applied a little too much but I won't be wearing this alone again unless it's at night. I will say that my skin felt less gross and broken out with this powder on.
Definitely very mattifying and it maintains the matte feeling, especially when makeup is applied over the top (I use Mineral Hygienics mineral foundation, I would NOT suggest using liquid foundation over this - use it as a finishing powder for the foundation underneath your regular finishing powder, the regular powder should help cancel out the little green tint this powder gives). I didn't even use my color-correcting primer under my makeup and I feel like this powder has helped keep my makeup on properly while also canceling out some red so my foundation doesn't have to work so hard.

Again, I haven't used this for long enough to tell if it has or will make a difference in my skin but I definitely feel like it's helping to dry out spots and bring some pimples to a head.

A note about packaging: could be better. I would love if it had a little sifter cover that you could spin/slide so that product only comes out when the sifter cover is open. Also, I got rid of the little puff it comes with (like most people seemed to) and just apply with an ecotools mineral foundation brush.

I'm looking forward to updating this review in a month or so to let you know how it's coming along!

-------Update-------
Hey peoples, so it's been a little over a month since I posted my original (first impressions) review and I can say pretty confidently that this powder has made a difference in my skin routine.

I still apply it after moisturizer and before my mineral makeup which makes a huge difference in the way my makeup turns out. This powder acts as an amazing primer for mineral makeup (if you have oily skin, definitely wouldn't recommend to those with dry skin): cancels out a good amount of redness, creates a nice and matte canvas for your makeup, and also helps to calm down breakouts underneath your makeup.

This powder effectively reduces the oil I produce during the day and I don't generally feel like I need to touch up, I have pretty oily skin and I do get a little shiny by the end of the day but it's more of a dewy thing than looking too oily with this powder on.

Have also had nice results applying this powder (just with my finger) onto freshly opened blemishes!

on 7/30/2015 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this product yesterday and noticed that on the ingredients list that sulfur wasn't on there like on the MB website????
I bought the product for the sulfur!
Does anyone know what's going on?

This is a great product to use when you have been bad and popped a pimple and and oozing. It will stop the oozing, antibacterial properties, and dry up the spot. Wish I had found this years ago.

on 3/7/2014 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a pretty great powder!

Does what is says and after applying this it's almost impossible to look oily.
I haven't been using it long enough to see if it's helped my acne, but i use this on my tone zone and it's kept my acne at bay with NO OILINESS. The only con is it doesn't really work well with makeup I find. Over foundation it's great especially as a setting powder but if I try to apply blush or bronzer it look's splotchy if I've applied this powder.

Definitely recommended!

on 1/9/2014 1:08:00 PM

I bought this several months ago, and wasn't really too keen on it because it made my whole face have a green tint. I threw it into my makeup bin and kind of forgot all about it. That is, until last week when I realized that my current pressed powder was oxidizing and making me look like I had a mask on my face. I pulled this out and used a very small bit on a flat top powder brush to set my liquid foundation and it looked beautiful. It didn't look green as before, maybe I was using too heavy of a hand. I have noticed that my skin looks better. I don't know how to describe it, it just looks more fresh I guess. It hasn't irritated my skin which is a plus, and I think that because it is green, it works wonders on redness and helps to further conceal break outs. It does help with my oily skin as well. It's not a god send in that respect, but I have noticed that it does help a little. Overall, I would definitely repurchase this powder.

on 2/23/2012 10:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I really like this powder. I'll use it alone during days where I don't want to put make up on and it really helps to keep my oily skin matte. Not all day but I doubt any product does that. I'd also like to think it helps keep my skin clear. At least a little. It's not a miracle product, but it does it's job. During the days when I do put make up on I'll use this powder last to set my make up a little. Usually I wear a mattifying primer, then my usual foundation and concealer as well as a regular powder, then this powder. And I find all those together really work well at making my make up last all day as well as keep my skin mostly non-oily.

Considering it's a Mario Badescu product it's also quite cheap when you consider how long it lasts despite everyday use. However it's quite messy due to the packaging and as many others I like to put it on with powder brush for more even coverage.

on 5/26/2011 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I generally like this product. It does help cover up my oily nose, but it doesn't last as long as I'd like it too, I have to reapply it many times through out the day. But overall it does work quite well! I would buy it again, it lasts FOREVER.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this product just a couple weeks ago. I was looking for the Silver Powder, but the lady sold me this instead. I found that you need to throw away the little poof because it just causes messes. I apply with a concealer brush at night before bed. I also pat it in with my makeup in the morning along with my regular powder. I don't expect it to conceal, but it does lighten redness from cheek acne. Even if it doesn't get rid of the pimples overnight, this 12 dollar product will for sure last me a year. I think it works well along with my moisturizer helping make sure those oily spots don't get too much. It is a good product to maintain balance overall.

on 10/22/2010 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great versatile powder. I bought it on eBay for around $11. I believe the MB website sells it for $12, not including tax/shipping.

You get a half ounce sifter jar. It really is a lot of product. I mainly use this for spot-treating/concealing so this should last me for at least a year.

This is a pale yellow sulfur-based powder. It doesn't have that rotten egg sulfur smell, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm a picker (yuck) and this is great for spot-treating those sore, red, open pimples. It dries up the nasty stuff pretty well, and does a great job of toning down redness. I'm not left with weird yellow spots on my face. I don't like using this as an all-over face powder because it can be a little drying for me (I use Kryolan Anti-Shine for controlling shine), even on my oily skin. However, when I did try it as an all-over powder, I really liked how it made my skin tone look even and matte. Might be better for me during the summer, but it's getting cooler now, so this just sucks up too much moisture when used all over my face.

I also don't like how messy the jar can be. I have to open and close this over the sink, otherwise the powder gets everywhere. (A pressed powder version of this would be lovely!) It comes with a powder puff, which I immediately got rid of; I prefer using a small brush for this. Plus, the puff was difficult to put back in the jar, since it was a little too big.

I use this both at night and during the day. It's a great multi-tasking product... hiding zits, drying zits, setting concealer, getting rid of redness, controlling shine, evening out skin tone, etc. This is my first MB product, and I will repurchase once I run out.