AVEDA Singular Note Vanilla Absolute

No Image

3.9

I don't know if I got a bad batch, but this product was a major disappointment for me. I barely get any payoff from the oil at all, even when first applied. Maybe just the barest hint of vanilla extract, and then nothing. I've gotten better results with cheaper products, but Aveda is usually such good quality. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the bottle.

on 10/5/2009 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

WOW! This is the most natural vanilla scent EVER!!! It's made with vanilla beans and smells, well, like a vanilla bean! I really like the natural scent of vanilla but can't stand artificial vanilla scents (so pretty much every vanilla scent out there). I also can't stand when "vanilla" scents actually smell like cake or sugar cookies. This smells like vanilla extract without the alcohol (as someone said below). SO nice. The lasting power isn't as good as a parfum or an EDT but I don't care because I have never found a parfum or EDT that actually smells like vanilla. Oil is great way to apply the warm scent of vanilla and I like that it is moisturizing instead of drying like alcohol based scents. This also doesn't spill in my purse so you can take it with you to reapply.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is absolutely delicious.The scent is a soft,subtle sweet vanilla which is dreamy.I wish they made this into an actual perfume,because the lasting power isnt vert long at all.Ive been layering it with the new LUSH vanilla puff dusting powder to set the oil,and enhance the scent.So yummy,I wish I could eat it.It does indeed remind me of vanilla extract.Mmmm!

on 7/19/2008 2:20:00 AM

I gave this a low rating because the scent is so mild and weak it is hardly noticeable. When I 1st shake out some drops and apply, yes, the scent is there and it is lovely and rich, a warm soft vanilla, very pure. But in 5 minutes...or less...nothing! The oil itself is very rich and feels so good, so I am using it as a moisturizer and then applying Lavanila cream or the Lavanila spray over it, and the combo seems to work. I am sorry it didn't have any ooomph on me because for those 1st minutes, it is very magical.

2 week later update:
I have been using a couple drops on my face as a nighttime moisturizer, it is excellent, sinks in...still, alas, no scent.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my favorite vanilla smell ever, and I've tried a lot of them. Its so warm and comforting! This oil almost smells like vanilla extract, only without the alcohol smell. Before you write it off based on that, I have to say, it's foody, but not overly so, just in a "what smells really good?" type of way without screaming "COOKIES!" There are no other notes to complicate this, and it layers with other fragrances well. I actually mix it with the Tangerine oil and some alcohol in one of Aveda's glass spray tubes to make a creamsicle smell. I love that it's not super processed and laden with chemicals; I feel much better about putting this on my skin than something synthetic. The packaging is typical Aveda oil packaging, in a glass bottle (but brown, to prevent as much light getting in and causing the oil to degrade) with an insert that prevents the oil from leaking/spilling out, and a screw top lid. The only qualm I have is that this doesn't last long enough - probably about 1.5 hours on the wrist. I've taken to putting it in my hair, too, but again, it doesn't last that long. I will continue to repurchase again and again.

$25 for 1 fl oz.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

If you want a true vanilla essential oil, this is it. I have not come across a better vanilla oil. The scent is simply divine. I can't even explain it, just go buy it. No, it's not cheap, but essential oils, especially good ones, are not going to be. It will last a very, very long time, though. You only need one or two drops. Mix this with your moisturizer or anything. Gotta love it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

So soft and pretty. It smells like a dupe for my beloved original CSP Vanille. It is one of those scents that smells clean & makes me want to go through the day with my nose attached to my wrist.

I am a vanilla fan, but there are only a few that I really like. I expect my vanillas to be single notes and to stand on their own, and this one does. My only complaint is that it comes in a bottle like essential oils & you have to shake a few drops out, rather than spraying it all over. It is an excellent value at $25 for 1oz, and I am looking forward to buying more.

on 3/5/2007 5:14:00 PM

This is an EXCELLENT vanilla essential oil. I use this as a fragrance sometimes if I dont know what to wear for a perfume for the day. A few drops and I put it on my neck and hair. Yum!

on 12/11/2006 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

A simple, pure vanilla absolute scent. Excellent. I don't like the container since the oil comes out at a very slow drip. However it is only $25 and I just transfer it to a roller ball glass applicator and it's perfect. The rest in the bottle I use to scent my bath water. UPDATE: I have found that Aura Cacia's vanilla absolute is stronger scented, which I prefer.

This is a very gentle vanilla oil, not medicinal, chocolatey, or burnt smelling at all. It just smells like pure, sweet vanilla. It is also great for helping you fall asleep! The bottle is a little hard to open (child-proof cap) and gets greasy very easily - these are the only minuses to this product!