Chantecaille Chantecaille Mascara

No Image

3.2

I bought the Longest Lash version, so this is my review of it. Packagong is awful. It's cheap, thin plastic. Even Too Face made a metal container for their 'better than sex' mascara, so I don't understand why Chantecaille went the cheap route with this mascara. Nice rosewater smell, very wet mascara that has a habit of transferring to my eyelids if I get close to the roots of my lashes. Though I have a good length to my eyelashes and this is the Longest Lash formulation, this gives little length, and next to no volume. Due to its wetness it is easy to smudge and if you ever get caught in the rain or cry with this mascara on, this mascara WILL transfer like crazy. I have also been using this for a few motbhs and this formula claims to lengthen lashes but I have noticed no improvement, so I started using castor oil these last few weeks with good results. Since I find myself reaching for my Loreal Telescopic or my Better Than Sex mascaras, so I won't be repurchasing this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

The scent of rose in the Chantecaille mascara is really nice, and I second the point that a previous reviewer made about the feeling of the brush in your lashes: it's second to none in application, building brilliantly. I love the way this mascara looks straight after application.

However, the downside for me is the flaking. Flaking is why I don't use many (if any) drugstore mascaras: flakes are un-chic, un-pretty, un-glamorous: those things you hope your lashes add to your look are undone by black flecks on your socket bone. I don't want to have to hope I catch them in the mirror before someone I want to impress spots them.

It's a deal-breaker for me, and the reason that despite this giving me some of the most perfect lashes of any mascara I've tried, I won't invest in a tube. I'm sticking to my favourite Dior mascaras which have the best longevity of any formula I've tried.

on 4/28/2010 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very little difference if I use it or not, by noon looks like I have no mascara on at all, except for the smudges under my eye.

on 5/21/2009 8:14:00 AM

This is my HG of mascaras! I've been using this for a long time and it can be a pain to get hold of at times. I have only ever used noir and find it to be fabulous to use, beautifully glossy black and, if you allow a minute to dry between coats, this builds fabulous glossy lushous lashes. I've tried about every mascara on the market and they all end up in the bin. I always keep a spare of this so that I am never without a new tube. Brilliant!

on 10/18/2011 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Divine. Actually smells nice too (light rose scent). I'm on my second tube. I've tried numerous Chanel mascaras, Armani, YSL - but they all result in Kardashian-after-an-all-nighter panda eyes and horrible spidery nastiness. This gives me black, long, glossy lashes. Love.

I managed to get a tube of this for under $10 and later realized that its actual price is $34. Whoa! Is it worth it?

I like to use a lot of mascara because although my eyelashes are long, they are very light in color, and I like the dramatic "doll" look. As a result, I am usually a victim of clumping, flaking, etc. When I wear Chantecaille, I feel like I'm wearing no mascara at all, no matter how much I apply.

The "bleu noir" color is 100% bleu and no noir, but somehow it manages to not look tacky, which deserves applause - and, of course, there's the rosewater and green tea smell. It washes off effortlessly and does not smudge.

Bonus: if you keep a tube laying around for over a year, the contents will still be OK. Try that with your usual mascara.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Update: Tried this again when I got a free sample thinking maybe I was too quick to judge but nope, nope, still smudges and flakes in about 3 -4 hours no matter what I use as eye cream. It does make my eyes shine and looks great--I think it must be from the intensity of the black color cause I usually wear black mascara and do not see these attributes but if I wore this regularly I'd be constantly worrying about mascara being all over my eye socket. Not worth the hassle so I should quit obsessing over it, for goodness sake!

Initially I loved this but after wearing it for several days in the 100 degree heat and finding smudging I soon came to hate this mascara. Yes, it gives me a natural look but the staying power is not the greatest, at least not in summer. And the price--ouch! Will be sticking with my Shu Basic. Chante mascara left me with softer feeling lashes than Shu but big whoop if I can't keep it ON the lashes and off my face!

on 12/28/2006 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

What a disapointment. I LOVE Chantecaille products. It kills me to write that this is the worst mascara I have tried; poor, poor product from Chantecaille. It is available in two shades; Brun Noir and Blu Noir. I took that to mean Brown Black and Blue Black. No, its either brown or blue. So, there was no color added to my lashes (which are dark brown; I purchased the Brun Noir). It did not thicken, lengthen, add color, curl, nothing. It resembled those no-color mascaras that are on the market. Didn't notice much of a smell either. It is going back. What a shame Chantecaille; I really expected a much better product from your line. Do NOT waste your money. I have no idea what this product is supposed to do or who it is for. Shu Basic is a fantastic mascara if you want a natural look and it's quite a bit cheaper.

on 1/22/2009 10:35:00 PM

I '2nd' the review by heatherblossom below. This mascara isn't for everyone, but what it does do well (natural, 'glossy' feel) is hard to find in a mascara. I got mine as part of a lot on eBay, and initially I wasn't too excited by it but it worked well enough, so I thought, "I may as well use up the tube". It can smear if you put on too much or also because it takes a bit longer to dry than most brands, but overall it's not challenging to apply. It doesn't flake and it's easy to remove.

What really made me realize how exceptional this product is, is when it came time to switch mascaras. I started using Revitalash ("lash enhancer"/growth product) and my lashes fundamentally changed - random lashes became stick straight (Chantecaille doesn't do much to curl or hold curl), and it became hard to reach the outer lashes with my mascara brush (note the aforementioned potential 'smudginess' problem during application). So I decided to go try out other mascaras on the market. What I found is that, being used to Chantecaille, it's REALLY tough to enjoy the feeling of other brands' mascara on my eyelashes. I had forgotten how stiff other products can feel and how artificial they can look.

Other drawbacks are the price, and the packaging since the chrome color rubs off over time to reveal a grey plastic underneath. But overall, I honestly can't think of another mascara that performs like Chantecaille if you're looking for a certain kind of 'feel' from your mascara.

on 1/2/2008 5:45:00 PM

I got a little tube of this as a GWP and I now use it every day. I may find myself buying some because it works really well. Like other Chantecaille products, it is lovely. No clumping, pretty floral scent, and just the right amount to lengthen the lashes just so. I get just the effect I want from this mascara. I'm not a voluminous lash girl. I prefer to go for length. My eyes are quite small so longer lashes make them look bigger. Of course, it washes off very easily too and I have no problem with flaking or anything like that. It just goes on easily, stays on and comes off thoroughly when I say so. Best mascara I've used.