E.L.F. Foundation brush

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is crap at its intended purpose. The bristles are dense and it splays about as you attend to apply your foundation, making it uneven and splotchy. Granted, I've never had luck applying foundation with a brush, but it's particularly bad with this one. However, it's fantastic for applying face masks. It's still uneven, but it's not as bad as with liquid foundation (not to mention you're removing it in like ten minutes anyway). I always deep clean it after use and mine is still going strong seven years later. I haven't had bleeding or shedding either so there's that too. I just would avoid using it to apply foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this brush. I did not buy this to apply foundation even though it is labeled for this purpose. I bought it to apply masks and it does a fantastic job in that regard. I no longer have to get the mask all over my fingers and waste the product. I can apply it evenly and am glad it works so well for this, really no complaints here at all. Just for shits and giggles I decided to try using the brush to apply foundation and found this did an absolute crap job in that regard. Streaks everywhere and it accentuated my dry skin in the worst way. I think it may be the texture of the bristles or perhaps the shape of the brush or maybe both but I would not recommend this for applying foundation (or concealer). I will still use this for my face masks and do recommend you give this a try for that. It's a good brush at a great price. As for the rating... I think this deserves a 3.5 out of 5 because it sucks as a foundation brush but rocks as a mask applicator.

on 10/1/2016 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I do not care for this brush when applying foundation, it looks streaky and creases. However, I use it for applying my liquid blushes and it works great! I would recommend it for that purpose alone. Also its a small brush its also good for concealer under the eyes.

You can't beat Elf Brushes for the money. Whether you select the foundation brush or any of the others the price is amazingly great. As a former Makeup Artist, I am selective about my brushes. However getting a set of these is a great investment. Elf brushes and both a good starter brush set as well for a seasoned user's kit.

on 9/16/2016 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this brush for laying down creme sculpting product and bronzer. It works just fine. I did not want to use my better foundation brush for that so this was a great substitute. I also use to apply primer and sometimes for masks as well. It cleans easily and has not shed either. It is a great utility brush for me. For foundation I am sure it would work for laying it down as well then perhaps using a beauty blender or stippling brush for working in your foundation. I recommend!

This brush is not good for foundation. Its not dense enough to really blend and "buff" the foundation into your skin, so it leaves crazy streaking, and if you want to try and avoid this (which with a lot of foundations is simply impossible) you have to keep blending for ever and ever and ever.

I use this for applying my MAC cream blushes, and for that purpose it works great. I find I don't need that density to get an even application with this brush (maybe that is because the MAC cream blushes are so easy to blend. I haven't tried using this brush with any "hard to blend" cream blushes but using a damp brush could be an idea), and because the brush is so thin it doesn't suck up much product and "steal" it away form my face when blending.

I've also seen people like using this for moisturizer so they don't get it under their nails, and it can be used for this, but like with foundation you have to blend a while to get the product evenly on to the skin. For me it is just not worth spending that much time to put on moisturizer.

Others have mentioned applying face masks with this, which I haven't tried but I think it would work for that.

All in all it is a decent brush (no shedding, no bleeding, etc) considering it's so cheap, and there ARE uses for it, but foundation application is not one of them.

on 7/30/2015 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This brush is awful! The bristles are stiff, the brush itself is stiff and uneasy to work with, and the cheap bristles soak up ALL of the product! It doesn't blend, it just soaks up every last bit of product. Do not buy this. It is cheaply made and a waste of money.

on 7/30/2015 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

So bad in every way.

i've never, ever once applied foundation with a brush and thought it looked good. i've had makeup pros do it, and i still thought it looked bad.

i think it has something to do with the amount of fur i have on my face - peachfuzz type, not bearded lady type.

anyway. i think i've given up on the idea of using a brush for foundation (the knockoff beauty blender type sponges work really well, when dampened first, and then used to apply liquid foundation...but they waste so much product!)

but i LOVE using this brush to apply my face cream! that way i don't get it under my nails from scooping it out of the jar!

Major bang for your buck! I own a ton of makeup brushes and have to admit that this is one of my favorites. I have a few of these brushes and personally use them to apply my facial masks (indian clay mask, green/black mud, etc.), facial creams (I'm a hygiene freak and don't like to touch my face much--even w/ clean hands), and lastly, I use it to apply a thin layer of cream-based foundations/concealers. I don't think this brush is great for blending, so I use another brush (kabuki) or a beauty blender for that purpose. Why do I do this? I feel that this brush picks up a lot less product than a kabuki/sponge would---which prevents you from caking on your makeup...and that will save you $$$ in the long run since you'll be using (or wasting lol) a lot less product. The hairs on the brush are of good quality, the only thing that bothers me is that the brush handle comes off here and there...however, a little glue (e-6000, hot glue gun, crazy glue) resolves this issue.

Popular Makeup Brushes