Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

3.8

Deionized Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, PEG-3 Distearate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyl Methoxy Dibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone-4, Hyaluronic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Trisodium Sulfosuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Triethylammonium Chloride, Trideceth-3, Trideceth-6, Laureth-3, Propoxy Tetramethyl Piperidinyl, Dimethicone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 11/16/2017 2:30:00 AM

I bought sample sizes of this and the K-PAK cond., both are fabulous. This combo so far has left my hair really soft, shiny and for some reason enhances my wavy hair! I'll keep using until the sample bottles are gone, but I'm pretty sure that I will purchase the full sizes. I'm impressed!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I think people don't really understand this product or how to use it. There is a way to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein..if you over flow it with the other when you need the opposite, things won't turn out well. Here's how you do it(credit to: kinkycurlycoilyme):
"To do the strand test, take one of your shed hairs and wet it. (Note, the difference between a shed hair and a hair that has broken off is the shed hair will have a little white bulb on the end)

While holding each end of the hair and stretching it:

-If the hair stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced.

-If the hair stretches and continues to stretch or stretches a little more than it should and then breaks (snaps), then you need more protein in your regimen.

-If the hair has very little to no stretch to it and instantly breaks(snaps), then you need more moisture in your regime.

Now, other than conducting the strand test, you can also tell by how your hair feels.

-While wet, if your hair feels weak, gummy, very stringy, or limp, you need protein.

-While dry, if your hair feels hard, dry, tangly, brittle, weak or any combination, you need moisture"

If you give your hair protein when it needs moisture, it will clearly end up drier and tougher. It appears more damaged. That's called over flowing the protein!!! If you give it when it NEEDS it(say after a bleach when your hair is gummy as hell, or after color oops) your hair will be glorious. I fry my hair every few weeks from bleaching. There's no avoiding it. This stuff starts off making my hair look frizzy when it's drying, but when it DOES dry completely it is smooth and makes my hair gorgeous. If you want moisture, try the Moisture Recovery shampoo or a deep conditioner.

on 10/21/2014 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am shocked to see all these negative reviews on this product. I have fine black hair with colour.
I was recommended this product by my hairdresser, i have severe damaged hair from DIY bleaching and constant colouring. Not to mention i was my hair everyday, blow-dry and straighten.

But despite all that this shampoo is by far the best i have come across. I will admit it's EXPENSIVE and through my experience with this product for a good year its kept my hair together. After every wash my hair would feel so light and smooth and I'm constantly asked by my gfs what i am doing to my hair.

I won't say its the best ever but defiantly worth a try!

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is a nice, protein rich shampoo that I've been using every other wash. It really strengthens my fine hair and makes my highlights look brighter. It has a great lather, a light coconut smell, and a creamy consistency. My dad's girlfriend gave this to me so I don't know if I will repurchase because it's kind of expensive but maybe I'll buy it again. It's a pretty big bottle and lasts a long time. What I don't like is how hard the bottle is; I try to always cut my tubes and bottles open to get all the product out. This bottle would need a heavy duty saw and I'm not doing all that. I'll probably just add water to get the last bit out. I have natural, afro-textured hair that is abundant and fine--this shampoo is great before a blow out.

***Update***
I just used this yesterday and felt like updating this review based on the more negative ones I've read. I love this shampoo because it makes my curls clump together which is something no other shampoo has done. It's like a protein treatment and you MUST deep condition after. I noticed some people experience hair loss after using this and just wanted to say that after using this shampoo you really shouldn't try to detangle. If you've ever used the aphogee 2 step protein treatment then you have an idea of how hard your hair will be after using this shampoo. DON'T comb or brush your hair because it'll just snap off. Add globs of conditioner (without protein--check the ingredients), put on a plastic cap (or trash bag lol), and either sit under a warm dryer for 15-20mins or take a nap/do housework for a few hours. The point is, after using this shampoo your hair will be in a fragile state and will need some TLC. If you just use some cheap conditioner on your ends and rake a comb/brush through it then you WILL lose a bunch of hair. Also, for the people talking about bulidup..don't use this shampoo everyday! I use it twice a month max--alternate it with a moisturizing shampoo especially if you wash your hair every day or every other day. Use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to get rid of buildup--this is especially important if you use products that contain silicone (again, check the ingredients).

I don't understand the "rotten bananas smell" thing. I hate bananas and I assure you this shampoo doesn't smell like that. It has a light coconut scent. It also lathers very well; I shampoo twice and the second shampoo has the best lather.

I hope this update is helpful to someone who is considering trying this shampoo. I know that Joico doesn't give all this extra info on the bottle's directions but you have to look at the ingredients and learn what they are doing to your hair! :) good luck!!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this shampoo with the coordinating conditioner for the last year and I can say that I will never stop purchasing them. I have platinum blonde hair that it to my waist. With bleaching and heat styling, my hair is very fragile. This shampoo and conditioner is the perfect match for my hair. The shampoo gently cleanses and does not strip your hair. After rinsing, you can still feel moisture in your hair. The consistency is rich and creamy. It lathers up very nice. The smell is amazing. Not too strong, just the right amount of fragrance. This product (shampoo and conditioner) has brought my hair back to life and has contributed to its overall health. The shampoo and conditioner can be a little pricey, but Ulta usually has a good deal on them when they have their liter sale. Definitely give this a try and I guarantee you will fall in love.

on 6/28/2013 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I tried this in the past and it was amazing, made my hair curlier and much softer. An effect I have never seen with any other products, even high end ones.

The downside is how expensive these are! They're like £20 per bottle so I don't think I will be buying it. Don't trust sites like Ebay which are full of fake and used ones. I had a look on the official site and you have to buy it from hair salons only. I'll like their Facebook page and maybe enter into competitions as long as I don't seem like some desperate vulture who can't even afford a shampoo lol. It's brilliant anyway but if it's a bit out of your reach I'd say stick to Tresemme with Aussie conditioner for the ends and maybe some organic macadamia oil for hair after it's dried.

on 6/12/2013 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

First off, I have thick, dry, damaged, frizzy hair. I find it sooo hard to find products that make it silky,shiny, smooth and managable, but the K-PAK range is amazing! Joico is my favourite brand when it comes to hair care and it's the only thing I use now. K-PAK is my absolute favourite so far and I'll always come back to it. I got a set of the Shampoo, Conditioner and K-PAK revitaluxe treatment (which is literally the best thing I've ever tried on my hair) and now i'm so in love. Plus the K-PAK range smells AMAZING, all Joico products do which is always important in hair products to me. But anyway, I highly reccomend the Shampoo, it's the only shampoo which doesn't make my hair feel super tangly and weird after I've used it, and it obviously works best using the K-PAK conditioner as well :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

After bleaching my hair myself one too many times last summer, my hair was brittle and snapped like crazy, leaving me with a layer tiny blonde shreds of hair all over my shoulders by the end of the day (and lucky me, I wear a dark colored uniform at work, so there is no hiding it). After realizing that I now have what is considered damage hair, I knew my hair routine needed a re-vamp. I watched a few YouTube videos on haircare for damaged blonde hair, I decided to try the Joico K-Pak line, which was fortunately on sale at my local beauty supply.

The first time I used it, I toweled my hair off expecting a miracle. I didn't get one. My hair looked and felt exactly the same, and I was worried my purchase was a bust. But I kept on trucking, using the shampoo and conditioner every other day, and the deep penetrating reconstructor treatment once a week.

Sure enough, my patience paid off, because after about 4-6 weeks of using the shampoo and conditioner I noticed that my shoulders were not speckled with as much breakage as before. 6 more weeks, and there was no breakage at all! Hallelujah! This line has kept my hair attached to my head, and it really does work to rebuild your hair. I am truly amazed, and will continue to use this shampoo every few times I wash my hair, alternating with a moisturizing shampoo so I don't get overdosed on protein.

So if you don't get instant gratification, keep up using this product - it can save your hair if you give it a chance! Also worth noting is the cost - it's definitely more than your average drugstore hair product, but it lasts! I just ran out of both the shampoo and conditioner, and I have been using it for about 4-5 months. So the cost is not too steep considering how long it has lasted me. So give the Joico line a shot! I also reviewed their Restorative Styling Oil, which is awesome. I might be a little fanatical about this brand now..

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

I have always dyed my hair and straightened, blow dried the works. And when i recently went to go blonde again, I got a full head of foils and i knew my hair would be utterly destroyed. So i prepared by getting this and the matching conditioner. WOW! my hair is amazing now.

After I got my hair done my hair was literally flaking off its broken ends like no tomorrow. I couldnt wait to wash my hair with this stuff to see if it worked. I used this and the conditioner, and for once in my life my hair was in the best condition ever! i have always had dry ends and i havent found anything to fix it, i have tried so many products i was going crazy. After using this i couldnt wait to wash my hair again and see it transform. After about 5 washes my hair was definitely not falling out, its was not breaking, its definitely not dry at the ends anymore and its clean and shiny still.

It lathers up nicely, you dont waste product, it smells like creamy banana kind of it so yummy. The bottles dont make you waste too much product, and it feels like your hair is always clean and healthy.

Definitely buy this if you have any form of damage to your hair. You will not regret it, its the best thing you can buy and its not that expensive. I got mine here in New Zealand for $30 for the shampoo and conditioner, which is super cheap for salon products and it will last ages if you dont waste it!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this, because everytime I wash my hair with this shampoo I have a good hair day. My hair is straight, medium thickness and blond I only color my roots about every 2 months but a while ago I got ombre and had to bleach out my ends 2 times to get them light enough, oh boy where they damaged. My hair looked unhealthy so I chopped of the ends and needed some good care for the rest of my hair. This turned my dry lifeless hair back into soft, silky and glossy hair! I would repurchase even though I find it expensive it gives me the "just got back from the salon look" kinda hair!