Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

3.8

Deionized Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, PEG-3 Distearate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyl Methoxy Dibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone-4, Hyaluronic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Trisodium Sulfosuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Triethylammonium Chloride, Trideceth-3, Trideceth-6, Laureth-3, Propoxy Tetramethyl Piperidinyl, Dimethicone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I think people don't really understand this product or how to use it. There is a way to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein..if you over flow it with the other when you need the opposite, things won't turn out well. Here's how you do it(credit to: kinkycurlycoilyme):
"To do the strand test, take one of your shed hairs and wet it. (Note, the difference between a shed hair and a hair that has broken off is the shed hair will have a little white bulb on the end)

While holding each end of the hair and stretching it:

-If the hair stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced.

-If the hair stretches and continues to stretch or stretches a little more than it should and then breaks (snaps), then you need more protein in your regimen.

-If the hair has very little to no stretch to it and instantly breaks(snaps), then you need more moisture in your regime.

Now, other than conducting the strand test, you can also tell by how your hair feels.

-While wet, if your hair feels weak, gummy, very stringy, or limp, you need protein.

-While dry, if your hair feels hard, dry, tangly, brittle, weak or any combination, you need moisture"

If you give your hair protein when it needs moisture, it will clearly end up drier and tougher. It appears more damaged. That's called over flowing the protein!!! If you give it when it NEEDS it(say after a bleach when your hair is gummy as hell, or after color oops) your hair will be glorious. I fry my hair every few weeks from bleaching. There's no avoiding it. This stuff starts off making my hair look frizzy when it's drying, but when it DOES dry completely it is smooth and makes my hair gorgeous. If you want moisture, try the Moisture Recovery shampoo or a deep conditioner.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I absolutely adore this shampoo & conditioner. My mini story: Ive always taken care of my long, bleached hair type. I have always used protein treatments, deep conditioned... I went to a cheap chain salon to get highlights, and the stylist double processed my hair. *Putting the bleach on my root growth, as well as my already blonde ends, and basically 6 inches fell out. * I had an emergency protein treatment, and was told to use this shampoo and conditioner for maintenance. My hair QUIT falling out when I began to use this, and the condition has only strengthened, and improved since. 2- 1/2 weeks after the incident when I do strand tests on the ends that were broken off, they are no longer snapping, or flexible ( a sign of damaged hair) My ends are strong and healthier. I am so happy to have found this shampoo. The idea of using a reconstructing shampoo scared me, but this has not dried, been heavy, coating, or done anything but HELP my hair. I tend to have oily roots and dry ends, and this gives me volume, and rinses clean. It has a wonderful cream lather, that is really gentle, and has been very kind to my fragile hair. I know a lot of protein can make the hair feel drier, but thats because its rebonding it, and making it stronger, so that is the only downside of using "protein" products, It doesnt mean protein products should get bad ratings, because this does what it claims to do- reconstructs. However, I didnt experience any drying when I used the shampoo & matching conditioner. I can only use a little bit of the conditioner or my hair gets too moisturized, & will not hold a style. The smell of this shampoo is amazing! Its a fruity banana scent, that is delicious. The only reason I can think of someone saying it smells like wrotten bananas is if they got an old bottle- then possibly the protein ingredient would smell like a chemical with the banana- resulting in a wrotten smell. I am very picky when it comes to scents, because I have fragrance allergies, and only like certain things, but its great. The bottle itself is ugly, but the formula is so surprisingly nice, and has truly restored the condition of my damaged ends from over processing. I love this shampoo. I get the shampoo & conditioner at local salon for $20 (package deal) Worth every cent. I know Joico was talked a lot about on the hair board, but no so much anymore, but its great stuff, and I hope people with any kind of damage will try this. Its also great just to give your hair some proteins and to maintain health. I will continue to use this shampoo & conditioner for a long time. Even for normal hair types, if you dont want to bother with protein treatments, try a mini trial size of this shampoo, and rotate it in your routine to get the protein your hair needs. Update May 7/09 I am almost out of shampoo , and I WILL repurchase. Thanks for reading my long review, I hope this helps someone who experienced extreme breakage, and damage like myself.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I see a lot of reviews on here saying that this shampoo didn't clean product build up out of their hair and they used it every day and they're not seeing results. That is because this shampoo/conditioner is not meant to be used every day. It doesn't "clean" your hair completely because the whole purpose is for this to replenish your hair with moisture that heat damage has robbed it of. With proper use, I find that this does wonders for my incredibly dry, coarse hair. I wash my hair every 3 days (I'm blessed with very thick hair that only gets greasy after about 5 days). I use this Joico every other washing. The other days I use Suave Humectant. Once every 2 weeks I use a CLARIFYING shampoo, which eliminates all product build up, but can be very drying and should not be used on a daily basis. This routine has worked wonders for me personally and I highly recommend this shampoo & conditioner. My hair has never been so manageable & moisturized! I bought both liters bottles from trade secret. They retail for about $28 each but they had a combo with both shamp.&condit. for $30! Basically BOGOF! Yes, it is quite pricey but it you only use it twice a week, a liter will last forever. Well worth the investment, ladies :)

on 6/16/2013 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I gave Joico 4 lipsticks because I have never used shampoo that was above £1-3 or for damaged hair so I don't know what it can do compared to others. However, it does do what I expected it to so I was happy to give it 4 lipsticks.

First off, I want to start by saying I am a highly rational and logical woman so this whole 'it will thicken your hair/ it will change your life' crap doesn't work with me.
The only reason I even (surprisingly) decided to pay more than £3 for a shampoo was because of the good reviews I read online, on here and other websites.

A bit about my hair: I don't have a lot of hair but my strands are thick and overall quite dry; just like my skin.

What did this shampoo do for me? Well, I've been using this shampoo for about 3 weeks now and what it doesn't do is, it does not thicken your hair or give it added strength; nothing can do that. A shampoo cannot change your genes or hair follicles, those are the only things that determine it. I think everyone should accept that and stop making false advertising.

The only reason why some people may witness more strength or thickness in their hair, is because they probably damaged their hair before and its now growing out and the original strength and thickness is coming back.

What this shampoo DOES do, and the reason why I will buy this again is, when I wash my hair and blow dry it, it usually ends up really wire-y and frizzy and it will take me a day to sleep on it to have it nice and silky looking. With this shampoo, I wash, blow dry and my hair looks silky without it looking weighed down and oily. It feels like there is a lot more moisture in my hair and it has this permanent (very very mild) dampish feeling (without it actually looking or being damp)

This is why I will buy this shampoo again.

As for the package; its nice and professional. My only complaint is that it is hard therefore you are not able to squeeze out the last couple of drops.

on 9/3/2011 6:29:00 PM

Never before has a product made such dramatic difference as this. Before this I went silicone and sulfate free, but after a while that didn't work for me anymore. My hair started feeling coarse and greasy. So I walked in a random salon and asked them for the best shampoo they had and they recommended this. After washing with this once I already noticed a dramatic difference. My hair was just sooooo soft, smooth and shiney. People started commenting on how nice my hair looked too and the difference is very visible in photos as well (before & after k-pak).
I'm using this in conjunction with the conditioner but I think the shampoo makes the biggest difference. Once I went away for a weekend and only brought the shampoo, and my hair still looked amazing.
The biggest difference this product has made to my hair is unbelievable softness and shine. My frizz is greatly reduced. Like I said, I've never come across a single product that made such a dramatic difference, that includes non-hair beauty products!
Sometimes products work great for me at first but stop working for me after a while, but I've used up a whole bottle of this and it's still going strong. I've already repurchased the 1L bottle.
This shampoo does contain SLES, which is an ingredient I generally avoid in shampoo (and always avoid in skincare), but this shampoo has done 1000% more for my hair than any sulfate free shampoo ever did.
I find it to be very mild actually. Because of this I do let the shampoo soak in my hair for a minute or two before rinsing it out. If I don't do this my hair sometimes doesn't get completely clean. This mildness is a good thing in my opinion and after letting it soak in my hair is completely clean (I only wash my hair once each time).
I've let several of my friends try the shampoo and they are now hooked as well. My one friend never used to leave the house without flat ironing her hair and now she does.
Overall I think this is a fantastic product and I will gladly repurchase, even though I have to pay a lot more than it is sold for in the US since I live in Europe now and have to order online.
Update: I still love this product, but I can't use this every day anymore. The first couple of months my hair only started to get better with this (I suppose it was very damaged), but after that my hair started to feel a bit limp. I guess it had soaked up enough protein and was now saturated. I've since found out that for maintenance its best to use 1 protein treatment for every 3 moisturizing treatments. That's what I'm doing now and it works great. I still adore this shampoo and I will repurchase, but I now use it 1-2x a week instead of every day. The other days I use protein free hair products.

on 5/3/2010 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I CAN NOT stop RAVING about this entire line of products! The Joico K-Pak line is outstanding! I've been using it for over a year, and I have the softest, shiniest hair I have ever had - baby soft hair. You can notice a huge difference after one use, an even better outcome with continued usage. The shampoo will leave your hair so soft and shiny, never brittle, dry, or stripped. The conditioner is the perfect pair for this product, adds to the overall shine and softness. It NEVER leaves my hair greasy, and NEVER weighs it down. I have fine, wavy hair. Whenever I flat iron after using this product, I can get away without using a heat protectant. (But you ALWAYS should! Do as I say, not as I do) The Reconstructor and Intense Hydrator are two of the best treatments I have ever used. About a year ago, I decided to lift my black hair to dark blonde. HUGE MISTAKE! Even done professionally, there was SO much damage. This saved it after a week. I've been using it ever since, and you would never be able to tell I've damaged or colored my hair. It is a bit expensive, but it's completely worth it. You pay for the quality, not the name (like some other brands...)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

After bleaching my hair myself one too many times last summer, my hair was brittle and snapped like crazy, leaving me with a layer tiny blonde shreds of hair all over my shoulders by the end of the day (and lucky me, I wear a dark colored uniform at work, so there is no hiding it). After realizing that I now have what is considered damage hair, I knew my hair routine needed a re-vamp. I watched a few YouTube videos on haircare for damaged blonde hair, I decided to try the Joico K-Pak line, which was fortunately on sale at my local beauty supply.

The first time I used it, I toweled my hair off expecting a miracle. I didn't get one. My hair looked and felt exactly the same, and I was worried my purchase was a bust. But I kept on trucking, using the shampoo and conditioner every other day, and the deep penetrating reconstructor treatment once a week.

Sure enough, my patience paid off, because after about 4-6 weeks of using the shampoo and conditioner I noticed that my shoulders were not speckled with as much breakage as before. 6 more weeks, and there was no breakage at all! Hallelujah! This line has kept my hair attached to my head, and it really does work to rebuild your hair. I am truly amazed, and will continue to use this shampoo every few times I wash my hair, alternating with a moisturizing shampoo so I don't get overdosed on protein.

So if you don't get instant gratification, keep up using this product - it can save your hair if you give it a chance! Also worth noting is the cost - it's definitely more than your average drugstore hair product, but it lasts! I just ran out of both the shampoo and conditioner, and I have been using it for about 4-5 months. So the cost is not too steep considering how long it has lasted me. So give the Joico line a shot! I also reviewed their Restorative Styling Oil, which is awesome. I might be a little fanatical about this brand now..

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was recommended to me by the girl who used to color my hair, since my usual color job involved bleaching and (usually) all over highlighting plus color deposit (always).

So basically my hair required extra special care, and this product provided it. Although my hair was overly processed, it did not look in, by way of being damaged, dried out, frazzled etc. I always blow dried then used the straightener on my hair every single time I washed it and it still looked and felt very healthy despite how I tortured it.

The shampoo leaves your hair feeling clean, but not squeaky clean so its still moisturized, but better than some 'gentle' or moisturizing shampoos where your hair still feels dirty.

Now that I am not putting my hair through all that, I have been using regular DS shampoo/conditioner and my hair is NOT in good condition. It has been breaking, splitting and not feeling nice. I thought my hair would be in better condition now. So I thought what is so different about what I'm doing now and then besides the coloring (which would've made it worse, NOT better)? And I honestly think this is the answer. I got so sick of it and was so glad I didn't *have* to use it anymore, but I think I will go back and use whatever I have left.

Anyways, it's pricey, but you can get it at discount in stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or if in Canada, Winners. I would however suggest caution when purchasing those varieties, as I used this product constatly for over 2 years, and therefore was very familiar with it, and I know for a fact that the conditioner I purchased from one of those stores in an original Joico K-Pak bottle was definitely NOT the usual product.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love Joico, it's my favorite salon brand, but for the price, the k-pak formulas could perform better. It smells really good, but misses the mark. I seem to have more hair than normal going down with drain when rinsing. Not good. =/ Overall, I absolutley love this brand but the k-pak is only for very damaged hair, I didn't notice any improvement with mine and mine isn't overly damaged, just heat styled and color treated. I'll stick with the color and moisture lines, those are beyond amazing!!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have fine hair that is not exactly what you would call abundant. It is extremely fragile & colour treated. This shampoo has been working really well for me. I use it in conjunction with the matching conditioner & the K-Pak Revitaluxe. I really like them all.

I used the same shampoo & conditioner for many years & over the past 2 years, after some extreme stress, my hair was just looking worse than ever. Really damaged, dry, brittle, frizzy...all bad pretty much all the time no matter how I tried to style or hide it. I bought these joico products & noticed a difference from the first use (I believe most of the credit goes to the revitaluxe though).

This shampoo doesn't ruin my colour. Gives a nice, rich, creamy lather. I have never used it all on it's own, so I can't comment on that.