AVEDA Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner

AVEDA Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner
Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner

4.1

Aqueous (Water, Purified) Extracts: Black Malva Extract, Camellia Oleifera Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Organically Grown Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Copolyol, Glycerin, Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Disteryldimonium Chloride, Babassu (Orbignya Oleifera) Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicaprylyl Ether, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Caramel (Colorant), Basic Brown 17 (Colorant), Basic Yellow 57 (Colorant), Basic Blue 99 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

on 4/19/2019 3:09:00 PM

I just found out this product is being discontinued :(

I'm so glad I trusted all the amazing reviews the Black Malva shampoo and conditioner had before purchasing these. I bought both about 5 months ago and although pricey, I still haven't used half the shampoo bottle (medium length hair - wash every other day). I bought this because I found alot of red coming through in my dark brown hair, even though I always try to colour with ashy/cool tones, and these products have really helped take the red out. Also, they make my hair look and feel amazing! My hair is definitely overprocessed and dry, yet its smooth and shiny everytime I use this stuff! The colour seems to last way longer as well. I think I'm sold for life on this shampoo and Aveda products in general... They actually work! I prefer spending the extra $$$ on something I know is going to give me results, rather than wasting my money on drugstore junk.

on 11/16/2015 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I know the reviews on this are mixed, but I've been using the conditioner as a once a month treatment for several years now with great results. I've tried the shampoo too, but it doesn't do much to enhance the color or condition of my hair, so I find it unnecessary. For reference, my hair is a dark brown mahogany with a few reddish and light brown highlights which can lean a little brassy when my hair gets too much sun or damage in general. And besides this product my hair is all natural, never been colored. My texture is fine yet quite porous and dry.

I use this conditioner when I feel like my hair is looking dull, if my ends are a tinge lighter than my roots (during summer), or if my natural reddish highlights are getting too brassy for my taste. I massage a generous amount throughout my hair, especially concentrating on my ends, and let it sit for at least an hour. Afterwards, my hair is just a touch darker and richer in tone and the brassy red is eliminated! Plus my hair looks glossier and revitalized. This product can be a bit drying, so I usually follow up with a leave-in conditioner.

So for me, as a once a month treatment to freshen up and enhance my natural color, this is totally worth the price tag. Oh! And be warned that this is very pigmented--it will stain porcelain tubs and sinks and your hands and fingernails if you don't wash off immediately. A splash of bleach will take it out of porcelain and a mildish soap (I use Dr. Bronner's) and nail brush will get it off your hands and nails.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This review for conditional only.
I found this conditioner on website who toned her hair gray. I was looking for good item for gray toned hair. Her before and after picture was so great and I decided to give a shot.
Well, if I review conditioner quality it is great but my hair toned out molded greenish blue looking hair.
Looks so ugly and that color stays in my hair for long time. I just couldn't get rid off it.
If you are thinking buy it please try it first especially if you have bleached hair.

on 1/5/2015 7:19:00 PM

i purchased this product after recommendation from my hair stylist... i'm quite disappointed because for some odd reason it gave me the orangy brassy tones that i bought it to eliminate or more like to keep from me.

i gave it 2 lippies because it felt nice on my hair, and gave it some moisture but failed to deliver and is quite expensive, although the shampoo bottle is big but i still find it very expensive.

hair background: dyed my hair ash blonde, and i have mid length fine hair and dry ends

on 10/8/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Conditioner only - love! I've used this for many different reasons over the years and it always comes through for me. Bought several bottles in my life. To me the only downfall is the $ tag. I used to use it when I'd dye over highlights to get my dark brown back; the dye would inevitably fade and this would freshen it up. Most recently I've used it as kind of a indigo alternative to tone down the red of henna. Smells divine and I think its conditioning properties are just fine, and my hair is currently damaged under the henna.

PS - I always leave this on more like 15 min, up to 30, dry hair yields more intense results, and use it less often. If I am just using in shower it takes a while to build up.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Conditioner Only:

I have been getting my hair dyed a deep violet-eggplant color the past few months. Prior to my current hair color, I was dying it a deep red-brown. The Black Malva conditioner has prevented my hair from fading into that awful red-brassy color it usually does after 2 weeks after the dye job.. My hair color stays dark, rich and saturated for the whole 6-7 weeks I go between getting my hair colored. I am THRILLED, and I owe it all to this conditioner. I use it twice a week and leave it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing. This can definitely stain your shower, so be mindful of that. It does stain my skin too, but it washes off easily while I'm showering. The small drawback is this isn't very hydrating on your hair, but I just follow up with my regular conditioner or hair mask. I can easily overlook this as I'm so impressed with how it keeps my hair color looking so great!

This review is for the Conditioner only.

Holy moly. This stuff is the bees knees! I would lighten my hair, watch it go differing shades of orange and then dye it brown again. Always the red would start to show through near the top of the hair and repeated dying would build up on the ends until they would go almost black and require professional colour stripping to remove the build up. Subsequently I'd be stuck with a pigmentless coppery tone that needed dying brown soon afterwards - and rinse and repeat the cycle above of fading - dying - build up - stripping - all because of a faded copper tinge.

Why did I only find this product now!! I haven't had to dye my hair in 6 months and the ends now match my natural ash brown colour! My hair went from an old British 2p copper colour to ash brown the first time I used this. I initially left this on about 20 minutes but was brushing it through and monitoring the colour the whole time (I had a horror of it going black but it did not). So Black Malva conditioner has managed to do what literally every boxed hair dye has not been able to do over the last 20 years and actually conditioned my hair in the process! I now only put it on for a couple of minutes whenever my hair needs it.

Make no mistake - this stuff is powerful - on your own heads be it (literally) if you use this when you don't really need to, however for getting rid of orangey brown - AMAZING!

on 1/7/2014 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this! I use the conditioner only, really does what it claims.. I have areas of my hair that I have to dye black because of gray, I don't dye all of my hair. My natural hair color is black and some areas that I dye black keep fading to a red tone pretty fast.. I keep dying them over and over again and use perm color...hate. I tried some black tea to try to tone down the red naturally, but didn't work well. I decided to try this. I have only used this 4 times but the difference is already huge..looks like I dyed it.

I put this Black Malva (which is very black like dye in the tube) on the areas of my hair that are reddish while my hair is dry, to absorb the color deeper. Leave it on dry hair for 25 mins..wash/cond hair and it works really well this way. Will use probably 2 days a week to maintain. It does stain your fingers the way I use it but washes out in the bath. Will update as I continue to use..Love.

June 2014~ I just ordered another one of these. This stuff is awesome. Knocks out all red> I color only once, then use this daily and my hair remains all black..

Wow - it's Jan 2019 and I still use this almost every day, once a week on some parts, on dry hair always.. I have to dye my greys (a lot now) and use this to keep it black...could not live without! Lasts about 3 months for me.

on 12/5/2013 12:23:00 AM

The smell is sh*t but I liked it! Nothing to write home about but I loved how it has actual color in it!

Popular Shampoos