La Mer Lip Balm

La Mer Lip Balm
Lip BalmLip BalmLip BalmLip BalmLip Balm

3.8

After trying many different cold sore remedies and prescription meds on my 9 year old son, I decided to try this lip balm on his lips during a cold sore breakout. It was unusually amazing. He used to get cold sores almost regularly (once/month) and after using this balm for the past year, he has not had a full-blown cold sore. As soon as he feels something coming on, we start using the La Mer lip balm and the cold sore doesn't progress further. Crazy odd, I know. And I'm certainly not sure if this would work for all people with cold sores, but it bizarrely works for my little boy. So we haven't had to use acyclovir or abreva or the like during this entire time. It is quite pricey, but if nothing else seems to work on your lips during cold sore season, definitely worth a try...

on 12/26/2016 12:25:00 PM

COLLASOL waste of money! Kicking myself for giving in to the hype of this brand! Packaging is the best part of this. Balm leaves a sweet taste on the lips (so if you like that you might like this overpriced petrolatum, but I prefer a tasteless balm) and doesn't have a good staying power. Normally I apply a balm at night, and then can make it well into my morning before I need to reapply. By my first cup of coffee my lips felt tight already and wanted something on them. I grabbed my old Nivea tin standby and it was instant $2.50 relief! Save your money for makeup if your considering this stuff - it's so not worth it.

on 10/20/2016 3:53:00 AM

This balm has an excellent dry consistency. It is very easy to apply the right amount. It will not leave any greasy or white residue on the lips. I find it hydrating enough (especially in warmer weather).
Ideally it should not contain mint or colourants.
Price is steep but you get 9g, in contrast to sticks that contain around 3g.
Packaging in a pot is definitely not ideal for hygienic reasons.

I have used up one pot and has bought my second one. The first jar has lasted 11 months with the usage of 2-3 times a day.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Octyldodecanol, Microcrystalline Wax, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentaoleate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Seaweed Extract, Malachite, Algae Extract, Tourmaline, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Fish (Pisces) Protein, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Phytosphingosine, Trehalose, Polybutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholesterol, Glyceryl Distearate, Water, Glycerin, Menthyl PCA, Oleic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, BHT, Propylparaben, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I think the scent is really really good, and the balm itself is really sweet. Just like every other balm, the minty smell evaporates really fast (lasts for about 5-10 minutes). The consistency isn't too thick, and the balm itself isn't too oily. However, I think it is really really expensive for just a balm with the main ingredient as petroleum (same as vaseline). Personally, I think that Fresh sugar lip treatment is better, but La Mer's scent is better. I also think that the container might not be the cleanest because its not a direct application. Perhaps i might be hallucinating, but I have a feeling like this lip balm changes the colour of your lips after the application. It has made my lips brighter and redder in a way. If you are expecting a product that is going to instantly pump your lips and give you that WOW reaction, I wouldn't suggest this.

on 6/1/2016 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is basically a light version of vaseline/aquaphor that's mixed with other appalling ingredients. It smells like a fruity bubble gum with a strong mint flavour. It doesn't seem like it's derived from natural mint leaves, just artificial candy and sugary ones.
More so, it hardly moisturises. Yuck.

on 2/27/2016 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

45 £ for a lip balm...Sigh. I asked for this for Valentine's Day. I like CDLM a lot, had high hopes for this balm.
It's just ok, nothing special and not at all worth the price tag. It wasn't any better at treating my lips than my handful of other basic lip balms. It's a slightly waxy balm that leaves a natural matte finish and smells like peppermint patty. It has good slip and is easy to apply. Others have said it absorbed into their lips, but it certainly doesn't do that for me, it sits on top.
I didn't find it to be particularly moisturizing. It's no miracle.
It does create a nice canvas for lip color, and offers some barrier protection as well. But so do many other normally priced products. I gave it a 3 because as a balm, it's ok. I prefer it to Reve de Meil. But value for the money is ZERO. I'd choose Burt's Bees over this and Nuxe any day.
Seriously, save your money.

on 2/24/2016 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm definitely in the minority after reading all the rave reviews, and while I like many of La Mer's products and I'm happy to spend on those that work well for me, it turns out that this balm isn't one of them. It's currently $55 before tax, and I used it for a few weeks overnight and in the morning before leaving for work and I don't have much positive to report:
- I don't find this balm more moisturizing or any longer lasting than any drugstore balm
- I'm not a fan of the tin packaging, as I can only use it at home because it's not hygienic to use when on the go, I much prefer a stick
- I don't like the mint candy smell and taste at all, this balm really tastes sickly sweet to the point where it really bothered me. Overall, this is just a so so item for me, therefore I will not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love lip balms and I'll happily pay a good amount of money for a balm that's luxurious, effective, and sets itself apart. I can see why many people love this balm but for me, it was average. On my lips, it felt no different than a minty lip balm from a grocery store. Also, it dried my lips out after a few weeks. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

on 3/11/2015 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

This is the sort of product I would enjoy as a gift. I feel that any $50 lip product needs to perform amazingly; this balm is just good, not great. The minty scent and sweet taste are pleasant and soothing. The product is smooth and creamy to the touch and looks pretty matte on the lips, but not as matte as Burt's Bees. Easily the best thing about this balm is the texture. It sits on the lips in a way that makes them feel plump and protected. I have never gotten this satiny feeling from a lip product before. This product bridges the gap between slick Vaseline and dry waxy Burt's Bees. You only need a small dab for your pucker, but you'll want to apply a little more because it feels really good. The formula is emollient and suitable for a night treatment. That said, I don't think the jar would last long. Personally, I didn't get any results from the La Mer balm that I haven't gotten from Kiehl's, fresh, or Smith's Rose Salve, so I will stick with those cheaper options.

on 12/26/2014 10:06:00 PM

Absolutely the best. Fixed my chapped lips in a single day, returning them to soft, supple and plump. I ran out while on holiday and my lips immediately went dry and nothing else worked. So be mindful this is an addictive product once you start.

Pricey, but my pot lasted me 10 months with daily use (3-4 applications a day).