Viktor & Rolf Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Viktor & Rolf Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

3.8

on 3/31/2010 8:31:00 PM

Seriously, describing this fragrance as an old lady peeing her pants is just vile no matter how much hatred one has for the scent.

on 11/6/2010 10:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Flowerbomb was one of those scents for me that come along once in a while that is love at first smell. Annoyingly. So I have to buy it immediately. Since that day Ive lost count of how many EDPs Ive gone through.. well, around 5. After wearing it to death for quite a while, layered over the body cream, I feel qualified to say that the only thing that has the potential to become annoying to me is a slightly musty element that I think is probably down to the rose. Sometimes, though, that mustiness can be gorgeous and I find myself really craving it. I still love it as much as I did the first time but these days I find I reach more for Angel and Pink Sugar (both have been likened to Flowerbomb). Theyre like Flowerbombs younger, trashier cousins. Flowerbomb is a bit more snuggly and dependable. Its the kind of scent that makes me feel like Im being cuddled by a big, soft, life-sized teddy bear. That kind of scares me, actually, but you know what I mean. Flowerbomb was good to me but we both want different things right now. It's also quite expensive but then I guess it is an EDP and the high quality of the fragrance is very apparent. You know how some perfumes just smell cheap? Yeah, this doesn't. I love the bottle too - the dusky pink shade is perfect for the scent IMO. I also never feel particularly strongly about the atomizer but there's something special about this one. It will coat you in a fine mist of deliciousness. It seems to help make that initial blast just *explode*. Its candy-sweet, a definite gourmand and has a lovely comforting quality about it. Theres nothing sharp or sickly about the first impression, its smooth and creamy from the start (unlike Pink Sugar and Angel which both take a while to mellow). The tea (in the top notes) gives this scent a beautifully serene quality. Then the vanilla sexes it up a bit - not enough for me to call this acceptable club material but still suggestive enough for a casual date. It wont seem too try hard (it's not your fault, Hypnotic Poison and Dior Addict, but you can both give off that scary man-eater vibe sometimes). I love that its sort of a shy scent. It isn't loud, brash or screamy; it whispers. That doesnt make it any less inviting or sensual, just not in that Angel kind of way. It's more flirty than seductive. That's the defining difference for me. Both foody but Angel has that indulgent chocolate note whereas this is more cupcakes. It's like being wrapped in a soft cloud of delicate pink chiffon rather than heavy velvet. It's edible, cashmere-soft gorgeousness. I wouldn't call it heavy or strong but it is distinctive and noticeable. I usually like more complexity; Flowerbomb doesn't go on much of a journey but I don't mind because I love the sweet initial blast so much that I'm glad it stays true to the end. I have received so many compliments and it has prompted many of my girl-friends to go out and buy their own (I do hate it when that happens but imitation is the highest form of flattery and all that). PS Flowerbomb is one hell of a misleading name. There is no floral explosion... more of a Sprinkles bakery explosion.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

You know that thing about "sugar, spice, and everything nice"? That's Flowerbomb, in a nutshell. Sweetness, check. Warm spiciness, check. Everything nice (candy, lavender, berries), check.
Always gives me a mental image of hand-painted silk....you know, how they dip it into dyes, then the colours spread and merge together, all smoothly blended, no outlines or borders? Like that.
When you read the name you expect the smell to be so arrogantly pungent, like KABLOOM!
But it's got a nice MOVEMENT to it, a rhythm, elegance. You know what I mean? Like slowly unfolding, not bang! at once.
I love it a lot (HG!).

on 4/4/2005 3:36:00 PM

Why in the world they names this Flowerbomb is beyond me. I do not care for florals. I am more towards the Orientals. I like spice, musks, etc.
My dear husband who I have been married to for 20 years has never gone nuts over any perfmes I have worn. He has made comments like, "You smell nice." Period. No questions about what brand, etc.
Until this one. I didn't even bother asking him what he thought of Flowerbomb due to years of "that's nice" from him.
He had come home from work, gave me a kiss hello, and then said "Oh my! What is that I am smelling on you?"
I told him, and he buried his face in my neck saying how wonderful it smelled.
OOH ladies, what a great night we had!!!!!
Now to see if they sell this by the 55 gallon drum size. (heh heh)

on 7/24/2011 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I got two samples of this in a swap and just put it on for the first time... I want to make love to myself. That is how good it smells. I'm going to sell my kidneys now so I can afford to buy a bottle.

on 5/1/2008 12:36:00 PM

As some MUA-ers have suggested, the name is something of a misnomer. Flowerbomb isn't a rich, white floral in the style of Fracas. Instead, it melds transparent floral accords--jasmine and rose--with a sugared chocolate and patchouli base. The whole effect, for me anyway, is like eating a fabulous dark chocolate truffle with a sweet iqueur filling, something like Chambord or Cointreau, while drinking a jasmine tea.
I don't really see this as an Angel-type fragrance, because it lacks that sharp juxtaposition of dark patchouli and sweet fruit that made Angel so famous. In my opinion, that makes Flowerbomb easier to wear, but I can easily see it being too sweet for many. For reference, I also love several other gourmands: L de Lolita Lempicka, Addict, Prada, Covet & the original Lolita Lempicka.

on 5/13/2013 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been dying to try this based on the internet hoopla so I finally broke down and bought a small bottle of the parfum from an Amazon seller. I do not recommend buying perfume from an Amazon seller because I've been duped (on a Vera Wang rollerball of all things) but I digress. I used a bit of the parfum over the past few weeks and, although I really couldn't smell it on myself, I got several compliments. I finally decided to buy a big bottle. Yes, the price is off putting and yes, if you want this you will spend at least $50 but who cares if you like it. I shopped around and found an online site that sells full sized testers at a pretty good discount price (again, beware of buying testers as they can be fakes too - do your research on online sellers!).

The bottle of EDP I got is pretty awesome if I do say so myself. The scent is nice and strong and it lasts and lasts. I don't really detect a bomb of flowers so where the name comes into play I have no idea. On me, Flowerbomb smells more like a nice baby soap. Clean and crisp but still warm and sexy. It's one of the few perfumes that meshes well with my chemistry. When I find a perfume like that, I snap it up.

I know a lot of people are now poo pooing Flowerbomb because it's over hyped, everyone is wearing it, it's not "complex" enough, yada, yada. Personally, I don't care about any of that. If you like something and it makes you feel good/sexy/whatever, wear it. In this case, I'm glad I listened to the hype because I adore this scent. I couldn't give a toss if it's not considered sophisticated or complex enough for the perfume snobs out there. At the end of the day, it's all smelly alcohol we douse ourselves in to boost our own moods so wear what you like.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG perfume, here is why:

1. This scent smells different on everyone. When spraying it on the paper at Sephora, it was too patchouli, too strong, but on my skin it warms up to be more feminine, sweet, soft but still strong.

2. Lasts forever on the skin and has a great throw, so you'll be smelling amazing to all for hours!

3. This scent has enough warmth to be a perfect winter scent, but has a light sweetness for summer, a perfect year round fragrance!

4. Bonus! I bought this when I first met my husband, our first summer of love, so I'm a bit biased!

5. Packaging: No, you don't get a ton of fragrance for your buck, but come on, that packaging, that grenade, that beautiful pink fluid is to die for!

Overall I can't live without this fragrance! Highly recommend!

Their description-
FLOWERBOMB by Viktor & Rolf Eau de Parfum Spray for Women - A floral explosion, a profusion of flowers that makes everything more positive. Full-bodied and opulent, Viktor & Rolf's Eau de Parfum explodes in a bouquet of sensations with its addictive floral notes which leave their trail, like a whirlwind that is distinctly couture. A millefleurs around the freesia, Centifolia rose, osmanthus and Sambac jasmine, supported by a background of patchouli. When applying any fragrance please consider that there are several factors which can affect the natural smell of your skin and, in turn, the way a scent smells on you. For instance, your mood, stress level, age, body chemistry, diet, and current medications may all alter the scents you wear. Similarly, factors such as dry or oily skin can even affect the amount of time a fragrance will last after being applied.
My thoughts-
A perfectly composed semi-gourmand perfume. A gourmand perfume is a perfume that “has edible or dessert-like qualities. These often contain notes like vanilla, tonka bean and coumarin, as well as synthetic components designed to resemble food flavors. Another sweet example is Thierry Mugler’s Angel.
Top notes tingle with fresh and sweet accords of bergamot and green tea. Heart is floral and opulent with intensive, sweet and pure Sambac jasmine, seductive Centifolia rose, freesia and Cattleya orchid. Musk and patchouli in a base wrap us with an oriental scent, while its milky and powdery notes gently fondle the skin.
What makes the perfume worth its high price is the osmanthus essence.
Osmanthus blossoms, though not as popular in the West as some other flowers more commonly found, have the olfactory beauty of an intricate dentelle of fruity-leathery smells evoking plums, apricots and prunes hidden in the suede pouch upon a warrior-poet’s belt, as if taken out of a Chinese vignette. It's hard not to be enraptured by their at once complex and delicate scent once you experience it and they lend their delightful and refined aroma in many a perfume composition. It's apricot-smelling blossom, soft, pliable, sensuous, from an exotic plant cherished in the East. Pairs well with lactonic florals. Being over 4000 USD for a kilo of osmanthus, PLEASE DO tell anyone who thinks FB smells cheap to do some research!!
To me the tops notes instantly hit you with a layer of bergamot then subtle earthy teas, then all of a sudden I smell the Sambac jasmine which is rarer and not a strong as other jasmines from India or Egypt. Has a green, slightly fruity smell that drys into a sweet floral/ honey/tea. 8 oz of Sambac jasmine essence sells for over 1200 USD.This is nothing like the jasmine in Angel... it lingers for quite a bit then the orchids and roses comes out.
Centifolia rose, is clear and sweet with hints of honey, also Cattleya orchids are unmistakable usually a synthetic note in perfumes giving a powdery veneer to floral bouquets, sweetish and clean. But in FB it is not overly powerful, cloying, or generic like I find alot of perfumes with orchids.
There are orchids that smell exactly like coconut suntan lotion, butterscotch and cedar wood, cinnamon, sweet clover, roses, or baby powder. (If there is a “typical” orchid flower scent, it would probably be a generic cattleya, but more often the “orchid” note in perfume is a fantasy note of some sort. Vanilla is extracted from the seedpods of an orchid, so maybe it could be thought of as the quintessential orchid scent. To me, the most interesting thing about orchid fragrances is the huge variety that rivals the variety of manmade perfumes of all types.)
Somewhere sneaking throughout is something slightly peppery is it the type of freesia peeking out throughout the sweet African orange flowers?
The base note is to die for, I've only been in love with a rich Musk and patchouli base like this since I first smelled Shalimar. It's so resinous and deep. It's sexy and intoxicating. It a perfect home for all the gourmand and floral notes.

Overall
I love this one on me...my chemistry can really pick up all the different levels and notes. I really appreciate it.... But I probably won't repurchase because of price and there are some many perfumes out there. I usually don't rebuy the same ones over and over. I love the bottle it's gorgeous but the atomizer sprays wayyy to much. So I took a lipstick off packaging. No wonder some people absolutely hate it, especially when you already don't like gourmands or florals. OR they totally smelled the fake ones on Amazon or eBay. Those smell hideously cheap and disgusting.
As for people saying everywhere they smell this I disagree...I don't know many who pay this kind of money for legit perfume. I've smelled this a couple times and I live in a fashion- geared, very large city with over 8 million people. Anytime I've smelled this it's been in upscale department stores like Louis, Gucci, and Hermes. I ALWAYS TURNED AND LOOKED AROUND AND ADMIRED THIS SMELL...
***To the woman who sprays this around her house and in the trash bin because she hates it wtf. If you hate it give it away why waste such a expensive perfume when someone will swap you... why buy something and not even see if you like it first especially perfume?! ***
Overall I recommend only to make sure your not getting edt, which sucks terribly and make sure it's not off the Internet where it could be fake or sitting in the sun, improperly stored etc....

I had mixed feelings about Flowerbomb at first. I have to completely agree with the reviewers who've compared it to B&BW Sensual Amber, and since they were both, I believe, launched around the same time, it's hard to say who copied whom. However, after spraying them on cards and comparing, as well as wearing them both on my skin, I find that the only similarities I can note are amber (which always smells the same no matter what scent it is in) and a sweet, powdery, indefinable note. Overall, Sensual Amber is actually a bit fruitier (I detect NO fruit in Flowerbomb - thank God!) and it's also lacking in Flowerbomb's gorgeous yet subtle chocolate-y note. Flowerbomb's staying power is much better and though the price is a killer, it's much more affordable to invest in the refillable bottle and get twice as much perfume for the same price, the next time around when you get the refill itself. If you like the smells of both Sensual Amber and Flowerbomb, get both and wear Sensual Amber during the day, as it's lighter, and spray Flowerbomb on top of what's left in the evenings for something deeper and richer. After spraying flowerbomb during the afternoon, I still smell it the next morning upon waking up - a very sweet way to begin the day.

Speaking of chocolate, when I handed the test strip over to my guy for sniffing, he exclaimed that it was just as though he had stuck his nose into the halloween candy bags of his youth and, I had to agree. I kept the test strip for awhile, allowing myself a whiff now and then, though trying not to get too attached to it because I knew it was a bit too far out of my price range. I'd been really starting to crave it the past few days when my boyfriend surprised me with an early Valentine's Day gift! I now have the refillable 1.7 oz. bottle and I absolutely adore it! Oh and the bottle....sigh....perfection.

I also adore Angel, Pink Sugar, and Lolita Lempicka, and I think this scent takes notes from each, and adds a few of its own to the mix to create something not entirely original, but rather a perfect combination of the sweeter notes in the scents I gravitate toward. There are, to my nose, notes of: chocolate, amber, powder (nothing like baby powder), rose (think soft, pink roses instead of in-your-face reds), and clean patchouli (like the patchouli in Coco Mademoiselle, not Angel - if you like patchouli, you'll find it, but it won't stand out). There are also notes of bergamot, tea, freesia and jasmine, all of which I adore but cannot pull out and identify separately. Overall, a creamy, powdery, sweet confectionary scent that envelops you in a cloud of warmth and dreamy goodness. I am NOT a floral fan and this one is hardly floral - don't let yourself be fooled by the name!

This one won't be for everyone and probably would not be a safe bet for a gift, unless you know the girl to love gourmands and sweet scents. Though other reviewers have warned against over-spraying, I actually find it quite soft and more subtle than most sweet fragrances so even when applied with a heavy hand, it stays relatively close to the skin, leaving a soft and sweet, powdery sillage that doesn't change according to application.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!! Aside from my Vanilla Grapefruit (which smells like old books and vanilla in the dry-down, which simply cannot be beaten!), this one is my HG forever! Go try it! ;)

Popular Fragrances