Viktor & Rolf Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Viktor & Rolf Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

3.8

on 3/16/2005 11:10:00 PM

Let me start by saying that I hate floral scents. I. Hate. Them. I gravitate toward icky-sweet vanilla-like fragrances, always have. With that being said, I ordered this perfume unsniffed. I loved the bottle (beautiful facet cut, with a cute little floral label attached with wire to the top) and a "review" in Lucky mag piqued my interest. I truly expected to be disappointed and immediately list it for swap, but instead I found my holy grail. This is a beautiful scent. Not too rosy, not too candy-violet, not too iris, not too-any-particular-floral. Rather, it truly is a "flowerbomb." It is everything thrown together and yet somehow it really, really works. It has an underlying sweetness that makes it great for the girls who think floral=grandmother, yet there is also a slight spiciness that makes it ultra sophisticated. $95 for the smaller size at Saks, this is worth every penny.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I am soo not a fan of floral scents, so with a name like Flowerbomb, I prepared myself for the headache that one spritz was sure to unleash. Instead, I got a nice surprise. Flowerbomb is soft, kind of powdery, and somewhat sweet on me. Sexy in an understated way.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought a bottle of this last night after wearing a spritz for just a few minutes, not long enough to realize this was smelling on me very similar to Ana Sui, one of my least favorite fragrances. I think it's the raspberries that I don't like. Also, I sprayed it on about 3 hours ago and can't smell it at all. The packaging, however, esp. the bottle, is extremely attractive. It's pretty pricey, too. I think I was hoping for something bombastic, really different, spectacular, special, like last year's spring "hit", "For Her" by Narciso Rodriguez, which remains my hands-down favorite for winter wear. If you're in New York, you should stop by and take a look at the 5th Ave. window display - spectacular! You'll want to buy the fragrance just from looking at those windows!EDIT: When I'm wrong about something, I admit it. I wish I'd not written my original review because this is now one of my very favorite fragrances! As a matter of fact, the true test of a scent for me is re-purchase and I've since bought the body lotion and now the large size bottle simply because I don't want to risk running out of it! There is no "raspberry" taint to it, as I first thought, and it truly is long-lasting. Another reviewer likened it to Mauboussin and I mostly agree. I will wear this in fall and winter for the depth & complexity it offers, but also, paradoxically, in spring and summer when something lighter but more exotic than "White Tea", "La Chasse au Papillon", or "Light Blue" is called for.

Eh. As ladies on the fragrance board have said, this is a creamy floral and patchouli scent, which is reminiscent of Chanel Coco Mlle and Chance. Not my thing.

on 3/24/2005 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Me: Hey babe, how do you like this new fragrance I'm wearing? It's called Flowerbomb.

DH: Hmmm...that smells nice! Does it have patchouli in it?

Me: Yes. Why?

DH: I like patchouli a lot.

Me: You do? Since when?

DH: Since always.

After twenty years together, who knew that my darling husband liked patchouli so much? I certainly didn't. I usually don't like a lot of patchouli in my fragrances, but I have to admit that I have received compliments on this not only from my dh, but from friends and colleagues. I note that some of the reviewers found the staying power to be poor, but I find it to be excellent! Yes, Flowerbomb is a bit pricey, but I think it is definitely worth a try if you are looking for something creamy, sweet and warm.

on 3/26/2005 6:47:00 PM

I was so disappointed, unlike many I actually think the hand grenade bottle is ingenious and too cute. But the scent itself leaves alot to be desired. It smells arid and overpowering. I can see the comparison to Prada, however, I actually like Prada and think it smells much better than FB.

on 3/28/2005 12:26:00 PM

Angel Eau Frache. Heady and fruity at first, creamy and patchouli-dense later on. Very nice but not distinct enough from scents like Angel and Coco Mademoiselle to really move me.

on 3/30/2005 4:32:00 AM

A fabulous but misleading name for a fragrance in which flowers seem more of a garnish than a main course. This is essentially a sweet woody-vanillic scent which will appeal to lovers of Angel, Prada, Charles Jourdan, Mauboussin and Dinner by Bobo. Top notes of Earl Grey and newspaper give no clue to the core of the fragrance, which is all jam and caramel with a hint of metallic rose and thick chemical jasmine. An underpinning of thin dry patchouli keeps it interesting, more tarry black treacle than cotton candy.

L'Oral seem to be making a calculated pitch for the Angel market with Flowerbomb, carefully tuning out the things which can turn people off Angel (its loudness and disturbingly fetid undertone) but retaining the delicious greedy sweetness and depth. The bottle, an angular echo of the YSL Paris one, is another point in its favour - unique and instantly identifiable, but still elegant and functional.

The whole package is rather less edgy and trailblazing than it would like you to think, but it's precisely its lack of boldness which makes it so appealing and wearable. It's the sort of sweet comfortable slightly cheap scent I don't usually go for, but the dark base just gives it that extra twist that makes it intriguing and grown-up, if not quite elegant. For me it's an evening scent - for bars and clubs rather than any more formal affairs. Although women often think that this type of scent is a man-magnet, my experience with it so far repeats what I've found with other sweet orientals, namely that it appeals a lot more to women than men. But it does stay close to the skin, so it's one that you can wear for your own pleasure rather than anyone else's. However if it's flowers you're after, stick to Vera Wang. continued >>

Bought is unsniffed,,not a good idea, gorgeous bottle and packaging, wanted to like it, pink and nice notes, but I don't love it and I have to LOVE a fragrance, it is going back, if at Saks get Silver Rain, amazing fragrance, this one does not last and does not make the cut for me nm

on 4/2/2005 6:28:00 PM

Very expensive, cute bottle, great scent. It's sweet yet a bit musky and oriental. I really like the layers I smell within the scent and the staying power is really good. My only complaint would be the price, it's not quite what I normally pay for a perfume.

Popular Fragrances