Boots No7 Intense Volume

2.9

on 4/16/2015 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought this No 7 Intense Volume mascara (in black) out of curiosity about how it would perform compared to my holy-grail Chanel Le Volume. It would have been a cheaper dupe if I found success (although still not "bargain" price given the mark-ups in Dubai over the UK RRP).

It's not an everyday-use product for me at the moment, so it's been open for a while. I like how the formula stays very fluid (compared to the Chanel Le Volume, which can dry out to its "default state" within a few days). For me, the fluid consistency is a plus as it helps pull the eyelash length on application.

Despite its name, I've found this mascara to be better at lengthening rather than volumising (but this could be because I am directly comparing it to the Chanel Le Volume). The clumping which other reviewers have mentioned also happens to me, but I'm used to that with most mascaras as I have very thin oriental eyelashes and often rely on clumping to also produce volume.

For the price point, I think this is a decent quality product, but I will continue sticking to Chanel Le Volume.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I originally got this as a trial size version and liked it so much I decided to treat myself to the full-sized one, which at 9.00GBP is pretty good going for a higher end mascara. It's a very nice consistency - creamy without being overly heavy - and the brush is just the right size to pick up all your lashes without causing clumps. I think it definitely made my lashes look longer too.

This isn't waterproof (although a waterproof version is available), but whenever I wear it I've never noticed it drifiting or causing the dreaded panda eyes. It's also gentle on my eyes, which is important for someone who finds even Simple Eye Make Up Remover too harsh!

Looking at the Boots website, this seems to be available in black, brown/black and navy, so although there's not a huge range of colours to choose from, there should still be something suitable for most I think.

on 3/29/2011 2:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is bad. It does not volumize at all! It just darkens and defines your lashes a little bit-but it is not enough, not even for a day natural look. Save your money, as it is not cheap and get something from Max Factor or L'Oreal.

on 10/14/2010 8:36:00 AM

I've had a few of these mascaras as GWP items - got to confess I've never bought one! They're 11 quid in the UK which (call me a cheapskate) seems a bit expensive for a Boots own-brand mascara to me. This is why I've said I wouldn't repurchase it - but I would happily use it if I was given it (which is NOT the case with a lot of mascaras).
Its good points are a nice, good-sized bristly wand, a not-too-wet formula which holds my curl, it doesn't leave my lashes crispy and it doesn't smudge any more than most other mascaras. It also applies enough in one coat to do the job when I'm in a hurry, and removes easily.
On the negative side, it can clump a bit so needs combing through with an eyelash comb sometimes. It doesn't provide loads of extra length or volume, just some.

In the end it comes down to price - this seems really expensive for a mascara that doesn't do anything special. Boots sell a Natural Collection Waterguard mascara for TWO QUID which performs better than this - same look, but also waterproof and smudgeproof. So am I likely to buy this one instead for five times the price? Er.......

on 7/14/2010 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It takes a great deal for me to dislike a mascara. I can usually make it work with a comb or layering it with another, if for some reason the mascara isn't really working. This was like globbing on black goo. I tried everything to make it work, and nothing helped. I would not recommend this to anyone.

I find No 7 mascaras hit and miss. I used to love their Full Impact (although most people seemed to hate it!) I got IV as a trial size along with a giftset. I'm so glad I didn't pay for it because I couldn't get it to apply evenly at all. I got clumps instead of volume. (OK, so clumps are technically volume, but not the good kind!) My lashes looked messy - not the even, doll-like fringe I aim for. The formula dried up quickly, too.

on 3/11/2005 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I got this is a Boots GWP. I have found my HG of mascaras!! I am so happy with it, I wore this for a whole day and suffered none of the burning and itching of every other mascara! This is a very nice formula, my lashes stayed soft but not sticky. They looked full but not clumpy. I liked the brush, and it seemed to give just the right amount of product. I have never found a mascara that didn't harden and flake before I tried this. If you liked pretty light mascaras, I highly recommend this! If you like really dramatic lashes, or have tiny short lashes, this won't be enough for you. continued >>