Maybelline New York Designer Chocolates Quad

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/30/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! I've been reaching for it over my Urban Decay Naked2. I'm not seeing any problems with fading or low color pay off with these shadows, with the exception of the lid shade, which is a little chalky. I've been applying the CG Intense Shadow Blast in the beige on my lid prior to application, and that might be helping with the longevity.

By far, the pinky-burgundy/cranberry (crease) shade makes this quad stand out. I love brown and pinks/plums/burgundies together. That color combo makes my eye color pop.

My only complaint is that the packaging has changed. The base shade portion is pretty large, the lid and crease shades are small rectangles, and the "liner" shade (I use it in the outer corner) is long and skinny. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I will go through the crease color quickly because I will be using this with other shadows, too.

on 2/7/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Pretty colors in the pan but will not show up at all on my medium skin, except for the dark brown one, even with a primer. Only good for a super-natural, barely-there look. The texture is pretty chalky as well.

on 1/28/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is great for a neutral daytime look, although it's not the perfect quad out there.

Color:
The pigmentation isn't as amazing as Chai Latte but with the right primer certain colors colors still pop. The brown and white eyeshadows have really nice pigmentation, but the pink crease color and the light yellowish-brown lid color has poor pigmentation. The lid color barely shows off on my lid, it may work well on darker skintones but on mine it almost appears invisable. The pink crease color needs to be packed on to make the color stand out. It's pretty, but you need to put in a lot of effort to make it work. My favorite part is the highlight color, it's a beautiful shimmery white that is my ideal highlight color. The outercorner brown color I sometimes I use to fill in my brows. This quad is great if you want to appear like your wearing little makeup and you're simply enhancing your eyes. Those looking for drama for their eyes should pass on this quad.

Texture:
Nice and smooth, easy to blend.

Packaging/Price:
As usual the packaging and detail looks cheap and isn't very pretty to look at. That's a minor detail though. The size of the eye shadows are good, and the price is quite nice as you get 4 quality eyeshadows for $5. Also I love the name of the quad, it's adorable :)

Overall:
+ Beautiful daytime look
+ Great highlight color
+ Easy to blend
+ Great price
- Poor pigmentation
- Boring/cheap package design

I love the brown and white shades, but I may just look to see if they come in singles or are included with other trios/sets/whatever, as this quad has left much to be desired. My first review for this was very positive, but I tried it again several times and my results have been lukewarm. It's great for a neutral look, but you can do better than this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this quad! You can make it as natural as you want. Or you can add the dark brown to the outer V to spice it up a bit! = )

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

These are BOGO free at Walgreen's this week, so now's the time to buy if you're wanting to try them.

My quad looks quite a bit different than the pic up there, in fact I had to pull it out to check the shade name to make sure I was on the right one. It's got, from l to r, top to bottom, a light taupe for lid, a shimmery purple for crease, a cream for browbone, and a dark milk chocolate for outer V.

Maybelline shadows aren't very pigmented, and sometimes the color you see in the pan isn't very true to what shows up on your lids. I've found this to be the case with all Maybelline shadows, and I find it rather annoying. It's really the only reason I selected 'no' for the rebuy. However, today I made a very lovely sculpted neutral eye using all 4 colors of this palette, following the guide on the back. (I was pretty nervous, I'm used to only using 1 or 2 shadows at a time!) The light pigmentation made it kind of impossible for me to screw up. I'd suggest Maybelline shadows for anyone who's a little unsure of their eyeshadow technique and needs to practice. Maybe younger girls who are making their first forays into makeup would do well with these. But if you're looking for hyper-pigmentation and true color, you probably wouldn't like these. But hey, they're pretty cheap.

Please don't even consider using these without a primer, they'll melt away in minutes. I use UDPP and they stay all day, and I think a primer makes the color a bit more intense.

*EDIT:* Bumping this up to 4 lippies & changing to 'yes' for the rebuy, after using this for a while I've become quite fond of it. It's one of the few palettes that I can make a great eye with the included applicators. It's a really great neutral palette, one that you can take with you on vacation and you'll have everything you need.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Well, I would not have wasted money on this if I knew. I wanted a smoky eye that is not too loud and dark for me. This one has a crease color which does not suit med complexion people at all. I feel the colors of the quad are not the best. It defntly gives a natural look but it hardly shows up. LOL Waste of $4.

on 5/13/2008 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Nice neutral quad with an ivory, a light taupe, a shimmery mauve and a dark brown. All the colors have shimmer. They stay on pretty well through the whole day, but better if you layer them. The mauve color is too dark a pink to look natural on my eyes, but the other colors are all useful for me to create an everyday look. I especially like the light taupe. Also, I think this quad has the same basic color scheme as the L'oreal showstopping taupe, so if you couldn't get that one, this could be a substitute.

on 5/12/2007 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this quad. I'm really surprised to say so, having not had the best of luck with drugstore shadows, generally. But this quad works well for me. These aren't the most exciting shades around, but if you're looking for something neutral and no-brainer, this is it. Like most drugstore shadows these are not especially pigmented (they are reasonably so considering the price, but they're not MAC or anything), particularly the darkest color. I'm fine with that because I'm very pale- doesn't take much for a shadow to show up on me and I actually prefer less-pigmented shadows, because I'm less likely to screw up the application- but people with darker skintones should be aware that these may not show up well on them. I also think this set is probably better for people with pink undertones. It wears decently for a drugstore shadow- not all day or anything, but I've been able to go 4-5 hours without having to touch it up. My eyelids are not at all oily tho, so if yours are YMMV. ETA: I should mention that that is without primer- it lasts longer when I use Primer Potion, but then again, so does everything.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is a staple for me ( Designer Chocolate Quad ) from Maybelline has to be one of the best shades they have. I normally use Isadora, But this has been a real good eye shadow for me. I Will buy this again.

on 3/16/2005 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

In my entire life, I've never been so pleased with an eye shadow quad (colors especially). I bought this around 4 years ago, and I am actually quite relieved that someone just reviewed it. I was starting to think it had been discontinued.