Maybelline New York Designer Chocolates Quad

Maybelline Eyeshadow Quad - Designer chocolatesEnter TitleEnter Title

3.5

on 4/18/2011 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I normally hate Maybelline products, except their mascara, but I actually really like this. I can't remember buying this but I recently rediscovered it in my makeup collection and I've been playing around with it. I don't like the tan lid color. It's kind of chalky and I have other browns I like a lot better so I use those instead. I like the other 3 colors though---white, cranberry, and dark brown. I especially like the cranberry shade--I wish they sold it as a single. I like to put it in the crease with a light brown on my lid. It is a very flattering combination for my light gray eyes. The white is good for the inner corner of the eye and the brown works well in the crease or applied wet as a liner. I normally don't use eyeshadow primer on a daily basis but it is necessary with these shadows since they aren't super pigmented. They are fairly good quality for the drugstore, however, so I do recommend these if you are looking for no-brainer everyday eyeshadows. I've found myself using them quite often which is amazing considering I have 5 million other eyeshadows.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me this quad of colors just does not work. I really like the crease color, but I find that that these shadows lack pigmentation and begin to fade shortly after applying even with an eyeshadow primer. The texture is kind of powdery as well, and I end up with shimmer all under my eye after I am done applying them.
It is okay for a subtle daytime look so I do use it occasionally for work but I would not repurchase.

on 5/12/2007 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this quad. I'm really surprised to say so, having not had the best of luck with drugstore shadows, generally. But this quad works well for me. These aren't the most exciting shades around, but if you're looking for something neutral and no-brainer, this is it. Like most drugstore shadows these are not especially pigmented (they are reasonably so considering the price, but they're not MAC or anything), particularly the darkest color. I'm fine with that because I'm very pale- doesn't take much for a shadow to show up on me and I actually prefer less-pigmented shadows, because I'm less likely to screw up the application- but people with darker skintones should be aware that these may not show up well on them. I also think this set is probably better for people with pink undertones. It wears decently for a drugstore shadow- not all day or anything, but I've been able to go 4-5 hours without having to touch it up. My eyelids are not at all oily tho, so if yours are YMMV. ETA: I should mention that that is without primer- it lasts longer when I use Primer Potion, but then again, so does everything.

on 7/30/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! I've been reaching for it over my Urban Decay Naked2. I'm not seeing any problems with fading or low color pay off with these shadows, with the exception of the lid shade, which is a little chalky. I've been applying the CG Intense Shadow Blast in the beige on my lid prior to application, and that might be helping with the longevity.

By far, the pinky-burgundy/cranberry (crease) shade makes this quad stand out. I love brown and pinks/plums/burgundies together. That color combo makes my eye color pop.

My only complaint is that the packaging has changed. The base shade portion is pretty large, the lid and crease shades are small rectangles, and the "liner" shade (I use it in the outer corner) is long and skinny. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I will go through the crease color quickly because I will be using this with other shadows, too.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I really like this quad. Have mac dupes below Its a great neutral quad that works perfectly on my fair skin. Pigmentation is pretty great, applies easily, blends so well. Love using as directed or mixing them up or a single shade, its a great quad to have but ive been pleased with mostly every quad i bought from them. Around $5-6 depending where u purchase def cheaper if u wait 4 a sale.
I have labeled my quads with possible mac dupes, feel free 2 correct me
Lid: (mac kid)a cream/biege color almost a silver sheen to it
Crease: (mac da bling) a cranberry/maroon color with a slight shimmer to it but most of it doesnt translate
Browbone: (mac vanilla) a matte off white or vanilla
Outer corner: (mac brown down) a semi matte chocolate brown nice brown color
As a pale girl i have used these so much, esp this one- luv it!

on 8/21/2010 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love the colors of this quad and how well they complement each other. The only problem is that they aren't very pigmented and fade rather quickly, even with primer. The pink one intended as a crease color is really pretty itself but it's tricky to apply, at least for me. It can look way too shimmery and obvious if you're not careful. The other three shades have a really nice matte finish with just a hint of sparkle. It would be nice if they had toned down the pink one as well. Otherwise, I do like it for the colors and use it often. It just leaves a lot to be desired.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My go-to everyday, HG eyeshadow palette. I'm a huge believer in the natural look because a lot of color can look garish on my pale, cool-toned skin. Also, I love ANY makeup that has a foodie name, so of course I was attracted to this quad. Designer Chocolates has a beige color (lid), a shimmery rosy brown (crease), a neutral milk chocolate brown (outer-v) and a bone white color (brow). When used all together, it creates a stunning look. However, on most days I just use the beige and the chocolate brown all over the crease and outer-v to create a subtle, yet sexy chocolate brown eye. I WOULD USE A PRIMER for these shadows, it builds up their intensity and makes them blend like butter. They last all day long on me with Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I would repurchase over and over again.

on 11/12/2007 10:53:00 PM

My memories from Maybelline were not very pleasant: little pigmentation, harsh texture, and powders that easily crumbled. When I saw the new quads and trios, with the label that stated it was a new formulation, I thought I would give it a shot again. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Designer chocolates has the following colors: beige, wine, ivory and brown. The wine color is not too dark, and is quite flattering, it is also the most shimmery of all. All of the colors are cool tones, which works great for me, as I have difficulty pulling off shades with too much yellow/orange in them.

It is a beautiful combination of colors for a neutral, subtle look, with enough oomph. The colors apply quite nicely, and blend easily. My stash is going to be getting more Maybelline now.

on 10/24/2016 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this little quad on Emilynoel83's recommendation & I am very happy I did. I just love it. I use the cranberry shade on my lid, the brown in my crease, the white in my inner corner & the beige shade to blend out with. I also use my Maybelline Color Tattoo in Inked in Pink as a base & the cranberry shade looks gorgeous over it. It's not dramatic by any means but it is certainly beautiful & feminine.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I did the two eye test again, which is basically primer on both eyes (Ruby Kisses usually), old product on one lid (in this instance, W&W's "Naked Truth") and comparison product on the other.

There are four shades in this quad. Clockwise from top left, beigy-taupe-y, dusky rose, mocha-ish, cream-ish. They all have some shimmer.

The only "meh" shade was the greyish-beigy-taupish. It went on the lid just fine. The rose (which is most assuredly dusky) is lovely and sits very nicely in the crease. Mocha filled out the outer corner, and the highlighter shade was fine. What surprised me was the staying power. After 5 hours, the W&W was a smidge creasyfied. The Maybelline quad suffered no such indignity.

(Still on my lids, still no crease, and I'm now at 7 hours plus; I've been to the living room gym, and cooked dinner during this time).

It's not a quad that's going to break records or clear tall buildings in a single leap but it does its job very nicely, blending well and actually demonstrating decent pigment. At that price point ($3 from Amazon) you can't go wrong.

Definitely one of the better drugstore nudes.

(Eyeshadows. Nude eyeshadows. I cannot confirm or deny any other type of nude shenanigans which may or may not have happened down at the local Rite-Aid)