Besame Enchanting Lipstick

Besame Enchanting Lipstick

4.4

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been lusting after this for years. But was afraid to spend so much on something that may not work for me. I was thrilled to see the sample set recently. All of the colors are just beautiful. Highly pigmented, long lasting, non drying. The texture is creamy and goes on like silk. I can't believe how long the color lasts. Red is one of those colors that shows any bit of wear. I drink lots of water all day, so lasting without constant reapplying is a must for me, and this lipstick stands up to the challenge. I love the reproduction shades, and hello to the packaging. I don't think I've seen a prettier lipstick tube in my life. I will be rebuying this over and over. Definitely try the sampler if you are on the fence. The price is great, and with 6 shades, it makes it easy to find the right red for your skin tone. Be prepared to get hooked and never look back.

on 3/12/2012 10:41:00 PM

I have wanted to try this lipstick for a long time, but wanted to see it in person, rather than try to choose colors online. Woohoo! One of my fave stores is now carrying the line. I bought Cherry and Merlot, and I am thrilled to pieces. The size is adorable, and the packaging enchanting. I love the slanted tips, and have had no problems with breakage. These colors are amazing. Heavy, matte pigmentation in true vintage style colors. I am very pale with black hair, and these two colors make me feel and look so glam! They stay on for hours, and beleve me, you don't need to apply much for complete coverage. I have used them as stains, as well. I have truly tried every high end matte lipstick on the market, and have finally found perfection! Vintage kisses, everyone!

on 6/12/2010 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually love the packaging and don't mind that the lipstick does not fully retract. The tubes are, indeed, tiny, but if you consider it's all lipstick and very little packaging, it's an excellent value. I read on Gabrielle's Facebook page that 1940s lipsticks were molded using bullet casings. Pretty cool! Plus the color is deeply pigmented, so a little goes a long way, requiring very few touch ups.

I own several colors (Merlot, Carmine, Exotic Pink, Debutante Pink, Portrait Pink, Noir Red, Besame Red, Red Hot Red, Cherry Red, Dusty Rose, Wild Orchid, etc.). Red Hot Red is a gorgeous, retro, red similar in color to Julie Hewett's Rouge Noir but less sticky and dry. And unlike the Hewett Noir line (which I love, by the way), when you reapply a Besame color after lunch, you don't have to remove your lipstick and start over. Besame lipstick color wears off fairly evenly without leaving a bare spot in the center of my mouth and crumbly edges.

I contacted Besame Cosmetics about some of the colors that are no longer available (for example, Dusty Rose and Portrait Pink), and I was told that they will be reintroduced in Q410 in larger packaging, The Enchanting line will only be available in red sets, so I am guessing there will be a sale soon as they phase out one line for another. I'm a little disappointed that the tiny tubes won't be widely available, but I must be in the minority. I am going to grab as many as I can while I can.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Red Hot Red is a perfect neutral red on PPP me, with very low pigmented lips. I tried a number of red shades in the store, and this one was the most flattering. There was another more blue based red that was beautiful, but too vivid for me to wear on a regular basis
The consistency is perfect, creamy, soft satin finish, does not bleed, stays on and does not dry out my lips. Lovely vanilla scent. I bought this a couple of years ago and thought I lost it, got a crop of other red lipsticks, some pretty good, some not so much. When I recently found this again, it is in a different league, for reds. The small size does not bother me, it doesn't need to reapplied often. I have rarely finished lipsticks, if I do finish this one (does not wear read every day), I will be happy to repurchase.

on 10/17/2009 6:18:00 PM

My lippies might not show it, but I absolutely love this lipstick. I am realistic though about the drawbacks of the product.
First the good: Most of the colors are absolutely wonderful. I never used to wear dark lipsticks because they always seemed to look 'off' on me, but with these? I wear red to work and feel gorgeous rather than like I'm making a scene. The shades and tones are very sophisticated and adult. Special favorites of mine are Chocolate Kiss, Champagne, Merlot, and Cherry Red.
Then the 'meh': They are small (though I find that cute, and they fit v. well in my dressy purse) so you will go through them fast if you use them like a regular lipstick. Remember that they're highly pigmented and use a brush and you should get much more use.
The 'ugh':
1) Gold Lame as a color is unattractive, at least to me, but on top of that it's grainy.. the texture is not pleasant whatsoever.
2) The lipsticks are not always well seated in the tube. I've had two Chocolate Kiss come loose in the tube, one I could re-seat, but the other one I had to put into another container.
3) At least one color is gone forever, and of course, it's going to be hard to find the rest soon. Do so while you can, especially with the reds. They're worth it.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I thought I had found my perfect vintage lipstick in Carmine. Small size yeah, but such a great consistency and the color is so gorgeous. And at the discounted price of $6 a pop, I could have stocked up on lovely red lips to last me a lifetime.
Well, good thing I didn't.
because on about the fifth use, the lipstick completely snapped of at the base and fell out of the tube. I caught it and replaced it. I threw it in the freezer in the hopes that it would magically fuse back together. No luck. So, I tried to use it despite being broken. All I got in the end was smushed lipstick and sadness.
When the same thing happened with two other Besame lipsticks, I knew I would never have gorgeous 40's lips with Besame brand.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Size doesn't matter when you have pigmentation and quality like this! I personally love the bullet lipsticks - they let you bring several options along where there was only room for one before.

I have about a dozen shades of these babies, having taken advantage of the sales going on over at Besame online. (They're retiring their first line of products.)

The differences in each shade of red are subtle and unique and you'll find yourself wondering how you ever did without, say, 5 different types of red. Prior to Besame, I'd never deigned shades like coral or peach, but they do them so beautifully that they're v. flattering on my finicky olive skin.

on 7/16/2008 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After placing my first order with Besame cosmetics, I recieved a lipstick as a gift with my purchase. As many others have stated, I was honestly surprised by the size of the lipstick. It's literally about the size of my pinky. Aside from that though, I can say that I'm very pleased! The shade I recieved is called 'Wild Orchid' which is a cool deep pinkish purple shade. The color is extremely pigmented, which means that it lasted for hours! It also has a slightly creamy texture, and a faint vanilla scent. I'm probably going to get one of the red lipsticks now.

I know everyone is loving on this so let me be one of the few naysayers. I waited over a year and read multiple reviews before I broke down and purchased these. I should have waited an eternity longer. As has been said before- these are like trial size lipsticks. again-prepared for smallness i was still shocked and dismayed. OK the packaging is cute but nothing about these warrants the price. I don't know if any quality lipstick could warrant this size. I had trouble applying it-because I didn't want to use a lipbrush-and it was so small as to be unwieldy in the application. The colors are Ok- I bought two kits. But this feels like The Emperors New Clothes to me. Even the tin feels plastick-y in its weight. I don't know how I will keep from managing to lose these. Maybe I will just have to walk around with the box of five in my bag. I am a fan of less packaging but I am just waiting for one of these to break. Even on sale I feel seriously cheated. Why would it hurt Gabriela to make an even less-then- average sized lipstick? These are about as substantial as the old 90's revlon trial sizes-so miniscule I am strangely offended. I feel like I got taken.
Update: I spoke too soon, Chocolate came completely broken.

I am THRILLED to have discovered this line a few years ago! I started with the boxed set of 5 red lipsticks which are creamy and just look fabulous on all skin shades. So when I got an email a few weeks ago that their pink and gold boxed sets were on sale, I jumped at the chance to add those to my collection. Now that I have tried all the colors on, I can't say I would have bought each one individually but given all the colors I have, I will mix different colors together and end up using all of them. I have read the comments about not liking the fact that the tip of the lipstick is higher than the top of the tube and being afraid it will get knocked off. This is an exercise in focus and being present when you put the cap on. I have yet to have a lipstick mishap in all these years. I LOVE the packaging and the whole 40s throwback extends to the website too. I haven't checked lately but they used to have online makeup lessons from different eras. This is a really fun company with a hip vision. It is cool to have watched them go from one office in LA that only shipped to buyers or sold by appointment, to stores all over the country. Go girl go!